J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

TheDudeAbides

Jul 28, 2015
Do we think if William Kyle ends up here he gets the start at the 4 as basically a Tre King & Ward hybrid?

1 Lipsey
2 Gilbert
3 Milan
4 Kyle
5 Jackson

I feel like that would be another great defensive team, with some improved rebounding ability. However, does that really improve us on offense much? Jackson probably more offensively well rounded than BRE, but Kyle likely less offensively ready than what King provided this year (not to mention Tre was one of our best FT shooters) - maybe a wash overall? Anyone remember Kyle's FT shooting form during the tourney game?...:oops:

Still don't think we really have that stretch forward (assuming we're counting Milan more as a wing) we seem to be missing. Maybe that's what Jefferson would offer if he joins as well. Seems like TJ should have some great bench depth.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
That’s not NIL. That’s pay for play.
This system stinks.
Building off my post here. Just stop with the Name Image Likeness label. There are maybe three players deserving of true NIL money in the entire NCAA: Caitlin Clark, Caleb Williams and Shedur Sanders. Everyone else is just getting paid to get paid, not because they can bring in marketing dollars on their NIL.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Building off my post here. Just stop with the Name Image Likeness label. There are maybe three players deserving of true NIL money in the entire NCAA: Caitlin Clark, Caleb Williams and Shedur Sanders. Everyone else is just getting paid to get paid, not because they can bring in marketing dollars on their NIL.
And that's just fine by me. "Pay for Play" is not a four letter word. The rest of the world calls it "Compensation for Labor"

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You forgot the NIL goat in livvy dunne

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Then I suspect you'd also be fine with dropping the requirement to actually enroll in classes as well - true? If so, the system would be no more than a professional league with university sponsors.
There is no one that’s ok with that and you kinda know it

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
There is no one that’s ok with that and you kinda know it
No, I don't know that. If "compensation for labor" is really what we are talking about (i.e. players are university employees), how is that any different from requiring university admin staff to be enrolled as students? That seems to me to be what we are naturally progressing to based on the developments of the past few years and I would not be shocked to see this inside the next ten years.

There are a large number of schools with rich alums that are willing to spend a lot to ensure that they have a good team. If something like having to attend classes gets in the way of getting the best team, who knows for sure what comes next?

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy and Shawker

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No, I don't know that. If "compensation for labor" is really what we are talking about (i.e. players are university employees), how is that any different from requiring university admin staff to be enrolled as students? That seems to me to be what we are naturally progressing to based on the developments of the past few years and I would not be shocked to see this inside the next ten years.

There are a large number of schools with rich alums that are willing to spend a lot to ensure that they have a good team. If something like having to attend classes gets in the way of getting the best team, who knows for sure what comes next?
Then that’s not college athletics anymore and you are failing thousands of kids. There is zero chance the academic requirement is going away, that option has never even been floated.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Or when Juri Hubalek was suspended for multiple games for driving a 15 year old junker of a car that was loaned to him by a Hawkeye alum?
Wasn't it his host family that he had lived with before transferring to ISU? That was so freaking nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Then that’s not college athletics anymore and you are failing thousands of kids. There is zero chance the academic requirement is going away, that option has never even been floated.
You are not being intellectually honest with this claim. The only reason college sports are around is for feeder leagues for the pros. Quit pretending this is about education.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You are not being intellectually honest with this claim. The only reason college sports are around is for feeder leagues for the pros. Quit pretending this is about education.
Considering college sports were around before most pro leagues, I think you want to check your history.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
History and present day college athletics are not in the same zip code. @alarson you got anything useful to add or do you just follow me around and dumb anything I post?
Well then considering how few people get drafted from most programs they might as well shut them down then by your definition. Might as well close up shop on ISU wresting right? No pro league for them to go to.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Well then considering how few people get drafted from most programs they might as well shut them down then by your definition. Might as well close up shop on ISU wresting right? No pro league for them to go to.
Clearly we are talking revenue sports.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
History and present day college athletics are not in the same zip code. @alarson you got anything useful to add or do you just follow me around and dumb anything I post?

Man, another emoji cryer.

Following you around? That's pretty funny

Actually the only other dumb i gave at all today was to clubcy who also whined about it. That your alt?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
And like 1 time they donated to ISU so that made them boosters?
Correct. They were long time UofI football season ticket holders but they bought Iowa State football season tickets for one season (years before Juri came along if i remember correctly). In the eyes of the NCAA that made them "boosters" and suspended Juri for 6 games.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Man, another emoji cryer.

Following you around? That's pretty funny

Actually the only other dumb i gave at all today was to clubcy who also whined about it. That your alt?
I agree you don't have anything useful.

Reactions: Yaz