KCCI weather department

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I avoid KCCI totally. There weather forecasts are worthless for rain predictions. They are also more biased against ISU.

KCCI also takes themselves too seriously.

I've always been a WHO fan and an Ed Wilson-stan.

Say what you want about Andy Fales but he usually can deliver the news with a light hearted yet professional tone and when I'm up that early (new puppy recently) its refreshing.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don't ever watch the local news. Haven't for 10-15 years. I can get everything I need online without wasting time watching t.v.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I tend to watch WHO more, just because I like Lester in the Nightly News slot. But Dan and Erin are just too smiley and happy-go-lucky. Sometimes it seems like they even smile through crime/murder/death stories too. Some of you sound like you take your news way too seriously. It's on in the background while I make dinner and that's about it.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I tend to watch WHO more, just because I like Lester in the Nightly News slot. But Dan and Erin are just too smiley and happy-go-lucky. Sometimes it seems like they even smile through crime/murder/death stories too. Some of you sound like you take your news way too seriously. It's on in the background while I make dinner and that's about it.
I have no preference on local but I do like Lester Holt. I liked Brian Williams too.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
KCCI was always the gold standard for stations in this size of media market. I do worry its slipping.

WHO isn't great either anymore.

I guess thats expected when lead anchors leave, and you have to think both will have lost their Chief Meteorologists soon (anticipating an Ed retirement soon).

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
KCCI was always the gold standard for stations in this size of media market. I do worry its slipping.

I guess thats expected when lead anchors leave, and you have to think both will have lost their Chief Meteorologists soon (anticipating an Ed retirement soon).

Ed's got too good of a gig to retire. I expect him to stick around for another 10 years....ultimately getting forced out.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If you live in CB, you're watching Omaha news. Sioux City, Cedar Rapids, QC and the Loo have their own stations. Mason City is more in the Rochester MN market than DSM.

Yes, there's more to the state than the metro, but the DSM stations aren't depriving people of anything.

Des Moines Channels cover Western Iowa better than Omaha does.

Source: Grew up in Western Iowa

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I think Erin Kieran is just that type of person. I ran into her at the zoo a few years back with her kids and she's just that sweet.

Personally, I'm okay with that. I'll turn on Fox News or MSNBC if I want angry people shouting.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

They should both be focused more on hiring more local people instead of hiring all these people from California, Washington, Florida, etc. that they know will just leave in 2 years.

Reactions: NWICY

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
They should both be focused more on hiring more local people instead of hiring all these people from California, Washington, Florida, etc. that they know will just leave in 2 years.
I suppose it’s the “process” of these big companies that own stations all over the US that they hire young grads to start in the smaller markets and they move their way up through those different stations under the big corporate umbrella putting in there time to get bigger jobs. And I suppose for some of them if not local born and bred that’s who mainly stay the long haul.

Reactions: tman24

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Alyx Sacks yeah is good looking but so exhaustingly fake. She’s gotten harder and harder to watch over the last couple years. I don’t know seem petty what I’m picking over here and my wife and I don’t share the same views of what we like she likes the dry here’s the news we don’t care if you watch or not . But I like some humor some relaxed flow and good information type and that’s how I feel WOI is now but the joking around they do at times drives my wife nuts lol but she’s not a morning person herself lol.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Watched recorded evening news from KCCI last night. In one story, Scott Carpenter kept saying, "laundrymat." I wanted to scream.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Average age of poster in this thread... O/U 60

I'm going over

I’m under!!

FWIW I did see Metinka at Flood Conference in DSM a few years ago. She came in late and really did seem like she wanted to be there. Just flipping her hair with her hands and head in her phone. Amber was there and seemed genuinely interested in it and was asking questions.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Was mentioned Eric was not great in person, well Ed Wilson can be a d*** at times. He thinks he is very special and only wants to be around the important people.
He seems kind of creepy when he's at the Fair every year doing live shots and talking to people.

Help Support Us

Become a patron