Killing Creeping Charlie / Wild Violets

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've seen where 10 oz of 20 mule team Borax works to mixed with 1/2 cup warm water and then diluted in 2.5 gallons of water. It does work and it is cheap way of control.

acqflisu

Apr 20, 2006
Davenport, Iowa
Thanks for the pics, as I thought I have both, but more wild violets.

I've done applications in the fall and they have just weakened, but not dead. Other sources say to get them now when they are blossoming. I'm just gonna keep hitting them every 2-3 weeks until they are dead, gone and buried.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the pics, as I thought I have both, but more wild violets.

I've done applications in the fall and they have just weakened, but not dead. Other sources say to get them now when they are blossoming. I'm just gonna keep hitting them every 2-3 weeks until they are dead, gone and buried.

Fall update! Curious to know if this worked for you.

I've moved back to eastern Iowa now and have a backyard full of the stuff. The lawn at my place was mowed once in June and quite literally hasn't grown enough since then to require mowing again. Creeping Charlie took over the most shaded areas and at this point I'm thinking that it may be easier to just kill off my entire lawn and start over completely. I don't have much experience with lawn/landscaping, but not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Seems like this is the time to try something to get rid of it, but I don't want to spend a fortune. Anyone with ideas? Thanks! Also, for the love of God, I hope we can pull off a win vs. the squawks. I forgot how terrible it was living in this part of the state surrounded by idiots.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have used Bayer broadleaf weed killer this summer and it is killing both. I have sprayed 4 time this summer and have eminated the creeping charlie and killed all the violets, but more keep coming up.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Ugh, I got this in the corner of my back yard. I pull all of it I can see and there is double the amount 2 weeks later. Frustrating.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron