Kimchi

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
My wife and i are food snobs so we'll try anything and typically will like/appreciate something others might not. I tried kimchi at one of the top sushi places in Des Moines and hated it...puke. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours. I love sauerkraut even on pizza or straight out of a jar, but kimchi sucked when I had it. Where does one buy good kimchi in the Des Moines area as I would be willing to give it one last try.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I'm in with kimchi. If you're not eating enough vegetables, give it a try.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Kind of like ranch dressing for me. That **** is ******* awful and represents everything wrong with the Midwest.

Kimchi can have a lot of variation. Don't give up because the big box version isn't great.

What is consistently great at Costco are the pizza rolls.

For the record - just bought Pizza Rolls at Costco

The day is mine!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
well, that's easy - have it with bulgogi.
Or just leave out the Kimchi and just have bulgogi. Bulgogi and Samgyeopsol rock! I really enjoyed it when we would go out for those in Korea.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Love it. Don't buy it at a main grocery store. It's Cheaper at Wangs if you're local. If you like spicey, sour and a little tingle on your tongue eat it with your take out Chinese or ramen. Nice on a hotdog.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Kind of like ranch dressing for me. That **** is ******* awful and represents everything wrong with the Midwest.

Kimchi can have a lot of variation. Don't give up because the big box version isn't great.

What is consistently great at Costco are the pizza rolls.
Please tell me more about these pizza rolls. Kirkland brand?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’m guessing average Iowan would go nuts over the beef centric Korean food in general even if they don’t like kimchi . Galbi and bulgogi. I could see it becoming pretty mainstream food sometime, it’s a food that doesn’t really have an “Americanized” version like Italian and Chinese.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I’m guessing average Iowan would go nuts over the beef centric Korean food in general even if they don’t like kimchi . Galbi and bulgogi.
Korean food is so tasty. I really want to travel to South Korea sometime and just go eat everything

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
For the record - just bought Pizza Rolls at Costco

The day is mine!
That doesn't work for keto which is the reason I wanted to like kimchi. I thought I was going to puke at church this morning.

But when I get off keto I'm going to try their pizza rolls. Probably with ranch. (For clarification I won't eat ranch unless it's made fresh. Haven't found a bottled ranch I like.)

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Something like 10% of LA is Korean. KTown would probably be one of the biggest us cities on its own, def go there if you are in Southern California.
Went out to Cali with my wife's family a couple years ago and her and I really wanted to go spend a day there but got out voted. We plan on going back out there by ourselves at some point so we can go to KTown.

Reactions: HFCS

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Believe it or not, but Lawton, OK actually has a really good Japanese/Korean restaurant. Really liked the "Korean sushi rolls" (don't know the word for it) that they had there.