Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Generally speaking, under state Sunshine Laws settlements with public institutions must be publically available for review. There are a few circumstances where settlements may be kept private, but I would be surprised if any of them would be applicable in this case.
I would not be surprised that however they settle it they will craft it in a way that FOIA won't apply.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
With a trial, there would be some perceived guilt even if they are totally cleared in the end. Unfortunately our society has very much turned into guilty until proven innocent. In this specific case, appears to be for good reason to some extent.
I think it'd be fairly hard for Kirk and co. to come off scott free here considering the report done. Kirk already took blame at the end of this process. He admitted that he was at fault for allowing some of these things to happen. A competent administration would've let him, his son, and anyone else involved go. But, they don't have a competent administration and Kirk has far too much pull for that to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think it'd be fairly hard for Kirk and co. to come off scott free here considering the report done. Kirk already took blame at the end of this process. He admitted that he was at fault for allowing some of these things to happen. A competent administration would've let him, his son, and anyone else involved go. But, they don't have a competent administration and Kirk has far too much pull for that to happen.

The "independent" review was the worst thing Iowa could have done because they never intended to use the findings as a tool to make some tough decisions. Also only interviewing certain players was a huge hole in the review. Iowa shouldn't have had a voice in the review process but they clearly did....

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The problem for eiu as explained in the DMR article. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

" If the university agrees to a settlement, it would be viewed by the public as an admission of guilt and would likely spur similar lawsuits from former players, said two legal experts who reviewed documents about the potential case at the Register’s request. But allowing the matter to go to trial would potentially put Ferentz and his program under a cloud of doubt for months, making it difficult to recruit Black athletes and leading to depositions and cross-examinations of him and his coaching staff that could prove embarrassing."

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The "independent" review was the worst thing Iowa could have done because they never intended to use the findings as a tool to make some tough decisions. Also only interviewing certain players was a huge hole in the review. Iowa shouldn't have had a voice in the review process but they clearly did....
Yep. The review was nothing more than a formal way for the University to save face and show the public that they were taking this issue "seriously".

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Unless the big hawk donors are not totally oblivious to the situation and are not brushing this whole ordeal under the rug, I can see them wanting some answers on this sooner than later.

...but then again we are talking about hawk fans here.

• Sad
Reactions: motorcy90

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The problem for eiu as explained in the DMR article. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

" If the university agrees to a settlement, it would be viewed by the public as an admission of guilt and would likely spur similar lawsuits from former players, said two legal experts who reviewed documents about the potential case at the Register’s request. But allowing the matter to go to trial would potentially put Ferentz and his program under a cloud of doubt for months, making it difficult to recruit Black athletes and leading to depositions and cross-examinations of him and his coaching staff that could prove embarrassing."

I feel really bad for them.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Unless the big hawk donors are not totally oblivious to the situation and are not brushing this whole ordeal under the rug, I can see them wanting some answers on this sooner than later.

...but then again we are talking about hawk fans here.
yeah so far the twitter and facebook reactions have shown why this whole situation has happened, they don't care because they have had 10 win seasons in the past..

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
yeah so far the twitter and facebook reactions have shown why this whole situation has happened, they don't care because they have had 10 win seasons in the past..
As I mentioned before, if Iowa struggles this year, he's gone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
yeah I have been replying with there were more calls for Kirk to be fired when he goes 6-6 or his average of 7-5 or less, then finding out he allowed racism in his program..
Winning is the magic elixir. I can guarantee you if Iowa loses to Purdue we'll see Tweets such as "Welp, maybe we SHOULD get rid of him."

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I predict the case disappears because Iowa is not going to settle it and the cost to litigate this to trial is substantial. Who is going to fund the litigation for the plaintiffs? Akrum Wadley and his mother?
I think the lawyer, the former players and their families were aware of the costs pertaining to this case prior to filing a $20 million lawsuit and calling for Kirk Ferentz's head. I'm sure they have this all figured out and also highly believe they are going to come out on top in all of this.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
Lol this is not going to go away and the victims are going to get paid as they should

As someone with 15+ years experience in this field I am just telling you it is not that simple. If it were you would have a more prestigious plaintiffs firm involved. Current counsel likely scares nobody and looks like trying for an easy and quick settlement, which will never happen. Makes for a good story I get it, but writing a nastygram and getting to the finish line are lightyears apart. Civil litigation costs a fortune. Someone has to pay for it. Even in contingency agreements, the plaintiffs' firm pays and takes a cut from a settlement. I very much doubt these guys have the funds to get there and I would think they know this is a difficult claim to bet your own money on.

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

Well, I guess it's a good thing they already barely recruit black players.

Status
Not open for further replies.