KSU vs OSU: Who are you rooting for?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Unfortunately we need a team or two to become the new Goliaths moving forward. Because we as Big 12 fans love the balance and parity, but from the outside and national respect level, balance and parity equals a bunch of average at best teams and more of a G5 type of conference.

May be unfair but that’s just the reality. We can’t have seasons where the Big 12 champ always has a couple of conference losses. Basically K State last year who won the league with 4 overall losses. That’s not a good thing.
I think parity is important for the Big 12. But not like, everyone is 5-4 or 4-5 in conference every year. That really hurts perception

The parity that is important is a different team can go undefeated/1 loss in a conference each year and then make noise in the playoff. Like TCU/KSU last year, Cincy/Okie State the year before. This is the SEC model (kind of)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess it's all about expectations for me. I thought it was going to be a complete disaster. I don't ever remember a football team completely turning over the roster and I thought it was going to be a boondoggle. I thought they would be lucky to win a game. So the fact they they have 3 wins already is impressive to me. Doesn't really matter who they beat. I'm sure a lot of people don't agree with me and that's fine.

I think in the NIL/instant transfer era we're going to see a lot more instant success in programs. And less exciting games because everyone will be running the same scheme due to less of a learning curve when finding a new team.

How long he stays there will be the big question. I'd guess FSU or somewhere will be tempting but on the other hand he might be the biggest money in the Big 12 going forward.

Sep 10, 2015
What is their recruiting looking like for next year? I would have thought the revamping for plug and play would have included a better OL and better defense in the first two levels.

Colorado State beats them by 3 TDs without all the stupidity and USC is a sieve on defense.

The excitement in a dull college football season was fun but unless they actually beat someone good I'm finding the hype to be pretty hollow so far.
I think he is planning to just raid the portal market again this offseason. So far it doesn’t seem like he cares that much about high school recruiting, I think he’s in win-now mode and then after his sons graduate I wouldn’t bet on him hanging around CU much longer.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think parity is important for the Big 12. But not like, everyone is 5-4 or 4-5 in conference every year. That really hurts perception

The parity that is important is a different team can go undefeated/1 loss in a conference each year and then make noise in the playoff. Like TCU/KSU last year, Cincy/Okie State the year before. This is the SEC model (kind of)
True that. The difference is the SEC parity has been able to work since they keep winning national titles or playing for them. LSU, Bama, Georgia and Auburn have all won titles and played for them in the last 15 years. Add in Florida in the 2000s so the last 20 seasons you have 5 different schools winning titles.

If we get a bunch of different schools making the playoff the parity will only be good if our schools win in the playoff.

Last edited:

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
OSU and KSU have both been traditional conference underdogs, so I've cheered for them both against the big dogs. I don't really care when they play one another, though I think KSU has more similarities to ISU. The Okie State win should make us feel a little better about ourselves. I'm excited for the New Big XII because it doesn't look like one or two teams will dominate year after year. As a famous Iowa coach might put it, the sun can shine on different dogs' rumps from time to time.

Reactions: khardbored

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
True that. The difference is the SEC parity has been able to work since they keen winning national titles or playing for them. LSU, Bama, Georgia and Auburn have all won titles and played for them in the last 15 years. Add in Florida in the 2000s so the last 20 seasons you have 5 different schools winning titles.

If we get a bunch of different schools making the playoff the parity will only be good if our schools win in the playoff.

It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy too. Their perception means they win all tiebreaker so have almost always had a shot at winning the title, which is half the battle.

This year will be an interesting test case. The SEC isn't very good this year, so would a 1 loss Georgia get in over a 1 loss Oregon or Washington? They shouldn't, but it would take courage the committee doesn't have.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think he is planning to just raid the portal market again this offseason. So far it doesn’t seem like he cares that much about high school recruiting, I think he’s in win-now mode and then after his sons graduate I wouldn’t bet on him hanging around CU much longer.
This is one of the reasons I'll probably never be a "Team Deion" guy.

If college football's allure was all about the best players in one place... gues what I would be an NFL fan.

Part of the appeal of the sport is seeing guys stay for 4 years (like Brock and Lazard) and seeing them become a part of the fabric of ISU and the community, and see them grow and develop.

Where I think Deion's experiment could go off the rails (operative word could), is it seems to me he doesn't care about the kids at all outside of Shadeur and Shiloh Sanders. How could you actually care about the players anyway if you've said publicly "culture doesn't matter".

I'm happy with Matt campbell results for 20 years over 2 years of Deion stuff. The rappers at games, the celebrity stuff, it just seems so fugheze to me.

Having said that, I do think we need to be active in the portal this winter. OL, LB, and RB would be the areas I would be most interested as a supplement.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy too. Their perception means they win all tiebreaker so have almost always had a shot at winning the title, which is half the battle.

This year will be an interesting test case. The SEC isn't very good this year, so would a 1 loss Georgia get in over a 1 loss Oregon or Washington? They shouldn't, but it would take courage the committee doesn't have.
Yes they get the benefit of the doubt but that argument goes up in smoke when they always then win the title and usually in dominating fashion.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Colorado isn't half as good as the media wishes them to be.
They're light years better than they were last year.

But, last season they might've been the worst P5 football team in the country. At the very least, they were one of the worst last year. So, there was no where to go but up really.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yes they get the benefit of the doubt but that argument goes up in smoke when they always then win the title and usually in dominating fashion.

They've certainly taken full advantage of it, I'll grant you that.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

If college football's allure was all about the best players in one place... gues what I would be an NFL fan.

Part of the appeal of the sport is seeing guys stay for 4 years (like Brock and Lazard) and seeing them become a part of the fabric of ISU and the community, and see them grow and develop.

Where I think Deion's experiment could go off the rails (operative word could), is it seems to me he doesn't care about the kids at all outside of Shadeur and Shiloh Sanders. How could you actually care about the players anyway if you've said publicly "culture doesn't matter".

I'm happy with Matt campbell results for 20 years over 2 years of Deion stuff. The rappers at games, the celebrity stuff, it just seems so fugheze to me.

Having said that, I do think we need to be active in the portal this winter. OL, LB, and RB would be the areas I would be most interested as a supplement.
I think you're being a little harsh in saying Coach Prime doesn't care about his players outside of his sons.

In the NIL/Portal era, players' feelings aren't going to be the top priority. Prime inherited a really horrible roster. To win some games right away, there needed to be high turnover.

I know he's been criticized by some over getting rid of so many scholarship guys to make room for portal transfers, but I personally don't have a problem with it. CU fans seem alright with it too. And while CU still has some holes to fill, they've been really entertaining to watch this season.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

1696695108960.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

This has been college football forever. Not one place, but a handful of places have the very best players assembled which is why they win.

I'd say the NFL is the one with more dispersed best players.

2nd bolded: people can still have a close connection to a place without being there for 4 years (Tyrese Haliburton) and it's always been a transaction anyway; plenty of players may stay in a spot for 4 years and never give it much of a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

You may not like the way he’s built/building the program, but it’s unfair to say he doesn’t care about his players. Read what he told Jimmy Horn during the CSU game or Travis Hunter telling him to sit out the USC game rather than rushing back.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Wow. This is a colossally bad take.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Getting this topic back to the KSU-OSU game - really happy for an OSU win. With all the crap thrown at us by the EMAW crowd, it's nice to see the Mildcats get a little payback. In fact, there were a ton of points left out there on the field last night by the Cowboys. Trade a couple of those FGs to TDs and it isn't a close game at all. Here's hoping that Howard has a similar PASSING game when they play us (with his receivers also dropping some easy throws)!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It's odd to think i'm more worried about the defense than the offense both in this game and next year. We need Verdon back and the pass rush has got to be effective. So far defensive line pressure stinks.

I know I'm late to the party, but I either missed it or forgot ... what happened to Verdon?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
If you want to be the king, you have to beat the king.