KSU- "Why does ISU have so many draft picks and such mediocre results?"

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
My thoughts are for you to stop paying attention to the purple kitties. They are not worth your time.
I second this. Cyclones only live in larger rent free houses in the minds of Iowa fans then KSU fans. I usually don't give any other team much thought other then when they show up on the schedule or in larger conference/sports discussions.

KSU is always poking at why they think they are superior to Iowa State. Every Man a Weirdo....

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Special teams and turnovers have been the downfall of ISU the past couple of seasons, until those area are fixed, and the offensive line improves, it will be a struggle to win 8 to 10 games on a consistent basis.
You cannot preach about "winning in the margins" when you are missing easy field goals, have 20 yard punts and turning the ball over left and right.

KSU was solid in all areas last year, not great, but they did not lose games to miss field goals or giving up field position by poor punts and they took the ball away. ISU needs to learn from that and do the same.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
We were also -7 in turnover margin while actually forcing some turnovers in big moments, like forcing 3 against Iowa at big times. Still gave two away, however.

If Hunter doesn't throw that pick in the end zone against Texas, ISU jumps up 14-0 and can let the best defense in the conference go to work with some cushion on a day where we played pretty well on offense out of nowhere.

I believe Campbell said ISU was the 3rd youngest team in CFB last year FWIW.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yeah, even with all those guys drafted, ISU hasn't had an OL drafted in what, 10 years? The wins they've had were basically despite the OL. You can't win consistently without solid OL play...even if you have some of the best skill players in CFB.
The Offense starts and ends with the OFFENSIVE LINE...Quoting Len Dawson QB for the KC Chiefs!!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This really isn't complicated. While we've had several guys drafted, very few of them have been in the first 3 rounds. 13 in 10 years, but 10 of them were 4th round or later. Good players, but not exactly guys that are going to, on their own, make you ultra-competitive. Also of the 13 that were drafted, 1 (a 7th round pick) was from the offensive line. That tells alot of the story.

• Agree

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Btw the kitties have had 13 players drafted by in the last ten years, just a little higher than Iowa State, I’d say probably 3-5 have had successful careers, so we really should be asking why does Kstate have so many picks but mediocre players

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
In the last three drafts, Iowa State has 8 draftees, Kansas State has 7. It's pretty close, it just seems different because of the NFL success of Purdy and Hall. Let's compare that to Oklahoma (17 draft picks) and Texas (10, despite having no 2022 draftees), or even TCU (10, with 8 in 2023 alone). It's not like Iowa State has had a huge amount of talent. The talent has obviously been better than in the past, especially at the skill positions, but it's really been more of getting talent on par with many other Big 12 schools rather than getting talent that exceeds them.

Then there are the other factors discussed here--weaknesses of the offensive line and special teams are the big ones to me.

• Winner

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
In the last three drafts, Iowa State has 8 draftees, Kansas State has 7. It's pretty close, it just seems different because of the NFL success of Purdy and Hall. Let's compare that to Oklahoma (17 draft picks) and Texas (10, despite having no 2022 draftees), or even TCU (10, with 8 in 2023 alone). It's not like Iowa State has had a huge amount of talent. The talent has obviously been better than in the past, especially at the skill positions, but it's really been more of getting talent on par with many other Big 12 schools rather than getting talent that exceeds them.

Then there are the other factors discussed here--weaknesses of the offensive line and special teams are the big ones to me.
Yeah, you lay it out pretty well. We have had a lot of picks over the last 3 years, coincidentally our very best season ever and most talented team, followed by another good by ISU standards season and very talented team, occurred in the last 3 years. Not sure what these guys are getting at, but likely just trolling.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Never forget that KSU has never won a national championship in any sport ever!!

Work with a few KSU grads and I always remind them of that giant goose egg. Good dudes but they are your standard KSU fans that have weird obsessions and fixate on odd things. This is the same fan base that thinks a giant cat head on a chicken legged dude is awesome.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Never forget that KSU has never won a national championship in any sport ever!!

Work with a few KSU grads and I always remind them of that giant goose egg. Good dudes but they are your standard KSU fans that have weird obsessions and fixate on odd things. This is the same fan base that thinks a giant cat head on a chicken legged dude is awesome.
And even when Iowa State was bad in football, KSU was worse

And your last sentence is hilarious

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
And even when Iowa State was bad in football, KSU was worse

And your last sentence is hilarious
It always amazes me when I'm reminded of the fact that Iowa State leads the all-time series despite Snyder pretty much dominating Iowa State for 25+ years. Shows just how bad Kansas State was for most of their history.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just going to point out that's a two month old video with 2000 views. There are posts on CF that get more traffic than that. May as well start threads over some random posts from EMAW. Any of you can upload a video to youtube with mediocre background graphics too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron