KU Police investigating report of teenage girl raped at KU’s McCarthy Hall

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Jackson and the attorney didn't do anything wrong.

Whomever thinks this is funny must not know how these things work. If I got into an accident with, my attorney could call and say look, we will pay for all the damages out of pocket and you agree to not press charges or report to insurance. Here is a settlement agreement to sign. There is nothing wrong with that and making it seem like it is wrong is really bad reporting because it makes you look pretty dumb not knowing that. The story is basically, attorney tried to settle the issue out of court for his client.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and Doc

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Whomever thinks this is funny must not know how these things work. If I got into an accident with, my attorney could call and say look, we will pay for all the damages out of pocket and you agree to not press charges or report to insurance. Here is a settlement agreement to sign. There is nothing wrong with that and making it seem like it is wrong is really bad reporting because it makes you look pretty dumb not knowing that. The story is basically, attorney tried to settle the issue out of court for his client.

There is also a difference between getting into an accident and vandalizing something. To not understand why this at least looks shady on his part is simply ignoring what he did.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Actually, you j'hawks are full of shiz. This is a criminal not civil matter. It would be up to the DA to settle it, the car vandalism. Stop the rationalizations. It's getting nauseating assuming any of you are actually Kansans.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
There is also a difference between getting into an accident and vandalizing something. To not understand why this at least looks shady on his part is simply ignoring what he did.

I am not talking vandalism. Yeah it is stupid to vandalize. He was wrong but there is nothing wrong with settling the matter out of court. It was before any charges were brought so he could have just said he didn't want to pursue the matter any further and the police would have dropped the matter.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Actually, you j'hawks are full of shiz. This is a criminal not civil matter. It would be up to the DA to settle it, the car vandalism. Stop the rationalizations. It's getting nauseating assuming any of you are actually Kansans.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yeah, just weird thing to say. His mom can certainly pay for it. It also doesn't have to be paid all at once if Josh wanted to pay for it himself they could have had said he until x date to pay it. Seems like an odd thing to jump to that there must be something shady about who is paying it.

I never ruled out anyone paying it. Honestly, I don't care who was going to pay. It's about getting a big time lawyer to do the dealings. I wrote this in an earlier post, not sure if you read it or not.

Your right parents do hire a lawyer, or most probably have some type of family lawyer already, however very few have a lawyer that also represents professional athletes. There's nothing directly NCAA illegal about that.
This smells similar to the Cliff Alexander ordeal. Probably no money changing hands, but something like "hey, Mr. Lawyer, make this go away, and you'll be our guy after Jackson is done with college, and making millions in the NBA."

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I never ruled out anyone paying it. Honestly, I don't care who was going to pay. It's about getting a big time lawyer to do the dealings. I wrote this in an earlier post, not sure if you read it or not.

Your right parents do hire a lawyer, or most probably have some type of family lawyer already, however very few have a lawyer that also represents professional athletes. There's nothing directly NCAA illegal about that.
This smells similar to the Cliff Alexander ordeal. Probably no money changing hands, but something like "hey, Mr. Lawyer, make this go away, and you'll be our guy after Jackson is done with college, and making millions in the NBA."
Josh Jackson's mom isnt just "some mom". She is a former D1 basketball player, founder of an AU program and has been a vocal supporter of parents taking an active role in understanding what they can do to help their talented bssketball playing child. Her plan is to form a foundation that serves as a resource for the parents of recruits to provie them with information and guidance.

Jackson's mom led a workshop for parents on navigating the academic and athletic standpoint at a major AAU tourney Jackson played at last season.

That she knows what to do and what type of lawyer to get in this type of situation is neither nefarious nor surprising.

• Dislike
Reactions: Macloney

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
And another person who must have knowledge of the Jackson family finances. Is it because he and his family are black that you assume they don't have any money?

Nice pathetic try playing the race card.
Care to tell us which 'family' member is forking out cash to some cross country attorney.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Josh Jackson's mom isnt just "some mom". She is a former D1 basketball player, founder of an AU program and has been a vocal supporter of parents taking an active role in understanding what they can do to help their talented bssketball playing child. Her plan is to form a foundation that serves as a resource for the parents of recruits to provie them with information and guidance.

Jackson's mom led a workshop for parents on navigating the academic and athletic standpoint at a major AAU tourney Jackson played at last season.

That she knows what to do and what type of lawyer to get in this type of situation is neither nefarious nor surprising.

Maybe she could have helped him with his social skills....

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Believe it or not but not every black basketball player is from the ghetto with jailed crack addicts for parents.

And doesnt every college kid who gets in legal trouble and who has supportive parents hire a lawyer and try to get out of it with no charges on their record? This isnt some nefarious, illegal back room deal.

Whoa! Racism? That's a pretty serious accusation to level. Do you have anything to back up your claim? Or is it just want you want to believe?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Whoa! Racism? That's a pretty serious accusation to level. Do you have anything to back up your claim? Or is it just want you want to believe?
Of course he doesn't. His spin job approach is to distract and throw so much crap we quit talking about the criminal enterprise known as KU.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/mar/13/self-backs-freshman-josh-jackson-strong-words/

Self's righteous indignation - if not grammatical clarity - is heartwarming.

“To be real candid with you, I’m mad at the situation but I’m not necessarily pointing fingers and saying that I’m mad at an individual or a parent or anything like that,” Self said. “Here’s the reality of it: You don’t know, I don’t know, he doesn’t know everything that has transpired. Nobody knows. And I can’t talk to him, nor would I ever attempt to do so, nor would I ever talk about a student-athlete from another program. Never. We would never do that. But the one thing is, I don’t know what the women’s basketball program has told those parties or educated them to the different things that were going on, if I’m a parent and I hadn’t been educated, I could see being very upset. Totally, if nobody from the university or the women’s basketball program has shared with them what’s going on.

“Josh and his mother have acquired representation ...There’s absolutely nothing that I would be remotely concerned about as far as unethical things taking place."
(I can believe that, Bill.)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
"Josh" and his resources just make the hit and run more annoying. Someone hit my son's parked car and left a note, but then it rained and he couldn't read it. He went into the office building he was at and the person had also left all of the contact and insurance information there too. So Jackson can hire a lawyer when he gets in trouble, but couldn't just take care of the "traffic" problem when he hit the car to start with by leaving a note?

Plus, being on campus, he probably could have easily just called security or parking to help him identify the person whose car he hit to contact them.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
As the person who started this thread, I will say that I think a lot of you (well, mainly Surly) are digging hard to make KU look bad. A few things...

When KU locked up a share of the big 12 title with 3 games left, and won it outright with two games left, Self was an absolute idiot (and stubborn) for not suspending Jackson for at least a game. Do it if for nothing to save face and give the impression that you dont find what going on to be acceptable. Do it, and there is no one out there thinking that basketball is the most important thing at KU.

The story about the girl losing playing time because of the incident is overblown and inaccurate. Her dad is trying to spew a lot of things out to the media, and the KC Star is the only one taking the bait so far.

Jackson's attorney offering money to make it go away is in no way wrong. If i did something as dumb as he did and got caught, and at his age I was lucky to not get caught, I would want my attorney to do the same.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
As the person who started this thread, I will say that I think a lot of you (well, mainly Surly) are digging hard to make KU look bad. A few things...

When KU locked up a share of the big 12 title with 3 games left, and won it outright with two games left, Self was an absolute idiot (and stubborn) for not suspending Jackson for at least a game. Do it if for nothing to save face and give the impression that you dont find what going on to be acceptable. Do it, and there is no one out there thinking that basketball is the most important thing at KU.

The story about the girl losing playing time because of the incident is overblown and inaccurate. Her dad is trying to spew a lot of things out to the media, and the KC Star is the only one taking the bait so far.

Jackson's attorney offering money to make it go away is in no way wrong. If i did something as dumb as he did and got caught, and at his age I was lucky to not get caught, I would want my attorney to do the same.
You write like this is some sort of isolated incident.

• Agree

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
"Josh" and his resources just make the hit and run more annoying. Someone hit my son's parked car and left a note, but then it rained and he couldn't read it. He went into the office building he was at and the person had also left all of the contact and insurance information there too. So Jackson can hire a lawyer when he gets in trouble, but couldn't just take care of the "traffic" problem when he hit the car to start with by leaving a note?

Plus, being on campus, he probably could have easily just called security or parking to help him identify the person whose car he hit to contact them.

Security may have had breathalyzers. Need to avoid that hassle.

• Agree

Help Support Us

Become a patron