KU's coach search last year

Spam

May 21, 2008
Anyone know the specifics of how Beaty ended up at KU? Was it because a lot of other candidates turned them down? That could be concerning for our possible coach search.

Beaty is a guy with a fairly unimpressive resume. His P5 experience essentially consists of like 3 or 4 years as WR coach. And one year as co-offensive coordinator at KU in 2011-- the co-offensive title being mostly on paper with Beaty certainly not doing too many of the typical offensive coordinator duties that year.

Even the non P5 experience is not impressive.

And his salary is appropriately only $800k a year + $25k per win. Very modest.

Were they rejected by other candidates before turning to Beaty? Or were they just looking to get a Mangino-like guy so they turned to his disciple from the get-go?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Anyone know the specifics of how Beaty ended up at KU? Was it because a lot of other candidates turned them down? That could be concerning for our possible coach search.

Beaty is a guy with a fairly unimpressive resume. His P5 experience essentially consists of like 3 or 4 years as WR coach. And one year as co-offensive coordinator at KU in 2011-- the co-offensive title being mostly on paper with Beaty certainly not doing too many of the typical offensive coordinator duties that year.

Even the non P5 experience is not impressive.

And his salary is appropriately only $800k a year + $25k per win. Very modest.

Were they rejected by other candidates before turning to Beaty? Or were they just looking to get a Mangino-like guy so they turned to his disciple from the get-go?

As bad as ISU is, the Kansas and Iowa State football programs are still miles apart. We have a top-of-the-line football facility and a recently renovated 61,000 seat stadium. They just got rid of the track around their field. We are also not paying our basketball coach $5 million a year. Kansas football right now may be at the lowest point of any BCS/Power 5 program since anyone playing college football was born.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm guessing a big part of it might be being hindered by paying Weis. As you note, that salary is pitiful, half what the next lowest makes in the big 12. Plus even though Weis was a terrible hire, firing him a few games into his 3rd season (after firing turner gill after 2 years) probably didnt make that position any more attractive. That job is a worse job than ISU, and its going to take some patience (with improvement shown), and who is going to want to go there if they dont feel the administration has that patience?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
While there is something of a focus on basketball here, it's nowhere near the level of KU. Despite our team struggling, the fans are still there, still supportive, and facilities keep improving for football.

I have to think that would make difference to a coach looking at both schools.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I don't have more info on Beaty, but I'm confident that our program is in a position to get a much better coach than KU.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I heard Beaty has good ties to Texas high school football, which was a big reason for his hiring

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Kansas athletic department has a LOT more money than Iowa State. Money was not the issue. There was not a lot of interest. Plus Kansas did express that they wanted someone with ties to Kansas. Bottom line is that candidates were not knocking the door down for the job.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
I think they wanted Harbaugh and had to settle for Beatty.

Haha I feel bad for them if they thought they had a shot at Harbaugh. Yeah, coaches leave the NFL for Kansas all the time, all while turning down their alma mater.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Kansas does have quite a bit more money than ISU, but no donors want their money going towards football. Add in the outrageous buyout for Charlie Weis and Turner Gill, and the admin at KU was forced to spend less on this coaching hire. Beaty is making $800k. Kansas has put $500k into football facility upgrades in the last decade, while ISU has put in $100mil. Lets let that sink in. Their situation is much worse than ISU, despite having a brand name athletic department.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Kansas does have quite a bit more money than ISU, but no donors want their money going towards football. Add in the outrageous buyout for Charlie Weis and Turner Gill, and the admin at KU was forced to spend less on this coaching hire. Beaty is making $800k. Kansas has put $500k into football facility upgrades in the last decade, while ISU has put in $100mil. Lets let that sink in. Their situation is much worse than ISU, despite having a brand name athletic department.

Seems like a poor investment so far...

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
I actually like what I see from Kansas so far. They are playing hard and not giving anything away easy. This is a well coached team that could spoil some things for B12 title contenders late in the season.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Because there are NO great coaches that want to take over Northern programs with no historical success in a Power conference where their peers are located in and next to Texas.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I actually like what I see from Kansas so far. They are playing hard and not giving anything away easy. This is a well coached team that could spoil some things for B12 title contenders late in the season.

As in today against a lesser dumpster fire which is Rutgers and still lost by 13 points?????
All the coaching on the planet aint gonna help them beat a legit Big 12 contender.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

What? The last game?

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Because there are NO great coaches that want to take over Northern programs with no historical success in a Power conference where their peers are located in and next to Texas.

there is no place for reasonable and rational facts around here. Posts like this will get you called a troll and a Hawkeye fan, even though this is absolutely true. Most people on this board think we will be able to hire whomever we want.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I agree the facilities at KU have been bad since the 1970's, while every other school in the big 12 has vastly upgraded their facilities for football...

The KU job is a lot worse than ISU....Kansas is virtually ALL IN on basketball only...All the season ticket holders in Basketball have to buy season tickets to Football also..............

That just shows what the admin at KU think of both football(not much) and basketball (they're ALL IN)..........