KU's coach search last year

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I actually like what I see from Kansas so far. They are playing hard and not giving anything away easy. This is a well coached team that could spoil some things for B12 title contenders late in the season.
Not sure who you consider the title contenders but KU won't be within 50 points of Baylor, TCU or OU this year. Playing hard doesn't win many games vs top tier talent.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I disagree to some extent. I'll add, I think iowa state has had some outstanding assistant coaches under Rhoads. I think his staff right now is also excellent. What gives?

The guy at the top has to have at least enough knowledge to let his staff do what works for the team. Also, Rhoads's staffs as a whole have been average at recruiting.

My main point though was that if I were J.P. I'd probably ask about how the staff will be built and how they'll supplement the head coaches weaknesses.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I disagree to some extent. I'll add, I think iowa state has had some outstanding assistant coaches under Rhoads. I think his staff right now is also excellent. What gives?

Just because we as fans think our assistant coaches might be good, doesn't mean they are. If you truly analyze our program, very few guys have improved over their time here. Sure, some have. As a whole it does not seem like many guys truly get better here at ISU. Maybe our guys have improved a ton and the recruiting site were right in ranking our classes so low. We seem to get guys without other P5 offers. But then you see teams like KSU that usually have the about the same recruiting rankings as ISU and they routinely churn out quality players and have guys that improve. Of course they always have a decent QB which makes other guys look much better.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
In the last 29 games, ISU is 6-23. Kansas is also 6-23 over the same time span. Both teams are 1-1 against each other.

In the last 32 games, ISU is 7-25. Kansas is 6-26. The extra win for Iowa State? A win over Kansas.

What happened 33 games ago? Jake Knott's last game. Knott was apparently the only thing holding ISU football together. Even going back 35 games, ISU is only 8-27 versus 6-29 for Kansas.

Point being, both teams are complete dumpster fires. Iowa State's fans are just too stupid to notice it and keep supporting the dumpter fire based on blind hope.

This. All this.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I would think some of the names that popped up during the KU search would be in play if ISU is looking for a new coach.

Willie Fritz from Georgia Southern was mentioned as a KU candidate, not sure if Fritz turned down KU or Beaty was hired over him. Fritz should be the #1 guy on ISU's list if CPR is fired.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Willie Fritz from Georgia Southern was mentioned as a KU candidate, not sure if Fritz turned down KU or Beaty was hired over him. Fritz should be the #1 guy on ISU's list if CPR is fired.

I think most everyone on here is pretty much in agreement that it should be Tom Herman.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
As bad as ISU is, the Kansas and Iowa State football programs are still miles apart. We have a top-of-the-line football facility and a recently renovated 61,000 seat stadium. They just got rid of the track around their field. We are also not paying our basketball coach $5 million a year. Kansas football right now may be at the lowest point of any BCS/Power 5 program since anyone playing college football was born.
Actually KU already built a football facility that is every bit as good as ISU's. They just built a new track, soccer and softball facility and renovated all the other sports. The only thing left is to renovate the stadium and there's a lot of rumors there's going to be announcement sometime this year of a 200+ million renovation. As far as hiring Beaty, I think it's the best decision they've made in a long time. Maybe since Mason. And finally we aren't paying a coach that hasn't proven himself over 2 million a year. That being said, you guys are going to kill us. Charlie left KU in the worst shape they've ever been in and that's saying something.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
No way Beaty can ever match Rhoads in post-game locker room speeches. And that's what counts.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I mean that probably explains why other offers didn't roll in, more than him being a fatty.

I would agree that our assistant coaches are as good a group as has been at ISU since McCarney's teams in the early 2000's. However, it is difficult to judge how good a staff is until you see where they end up 5-10 years down the line.

I think our issues today have less to do with how good our coaches are, but Rhoads took the wrong approach in building a solid program. IMO he did a poor job in building strong OL/DL in the first 2-3 years. I understand his desire to bring in speedy players, but games are won and lost in the trencches.

Even though Rhoads is from Iowa, I don't think he has a staff member that works the state of Iowa hard. It seems we go after the obvious guys, but we don't have an eye for the 2nd tier talent. The other mistake and Rhoads might have come to the party too late to save his job is the importance of recruiting JUCO players. Not only to fill gaps, but to fill positions where it is tougher to project developement of a 17 year old recruit to a 20 year old starting player.

Last edited:

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Has nothing to do with AAC and everything to do with getting any job he wants in the next 2 or 3 years

That's a relief. For a moment I thought we couldn't beat AAC teams. Tom Herman is still the guy, though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I would agree that our assistant coaches are as good a group as has been at ISU since McCarney's teams in the early 2000's. However, it is difficult to judge how good a staff is until you see where they end up 5-10 years down the line.

I think our issues today have less to do with how good our coaches are, but Rhoads took the wrong approach in building a solid program. IMO he did a poor job in building strong OL/DL in the first 2-3 years. I understand his desire to bring in speedy players, but games are won and lost in the trencches.

Even though Rhoads is from Iowa, I don't think he has a staff member that works the state of Iowa hard. It seems we go after the obvious guys, but we don't have an eye for the 2nd tier talent. The other mistake and Rhoads might have come to the party too late to save his job is the importance of recruiting JUCO players. Not only to fill gaps, but to fill positions where it is tougher to project developement of a 17 year old recruit to a 20 year old starting player.

Yeah, it's not like we got a Knott, Lenz or Peters in here.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Just because we as fans think our assistant coaches might be good, doesn't mean they are. If you truly analyze our program, very few guys have improved over their time here. Sure, some have. As a whole it does not seem like many guys truly get better here at ISU. Maybe our guys have improved a ton and the recruiting site were right in ranking our classes so low. We seem to get guys without other P5 offers. But then you see teams like KSU that usually have the about the same recruiting rankings as ISU and they routinely churn out quality players and have guys that improve. Of course they always have a decent QB which makes other guys look much better.

I will point out that toward the end of the 2011 season Tom Herman's offense put together 3 straight games of over 500 yards of offense including a win on the road against a top 25 team 41 to 7 and a win over the #2 team in the country. We finished with 2 very tough close losses to top 10 teams in awful weather.

I'll omit the bowl game because he appeared to be totally checked out.

Point is, there was some solid progress and we likely win a few more games than we did in 2012 if he sticks around. We lost at least 3 heart breakers mostly due to a poor offense led by C Messingham.

Point is, Herman was going to get it done here. He didn't have much for talent.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Get real, Herman isn't leaving Houston after one season unless it is Ohio St and his wife won't let him go back to Iowa.

Yeah because our offense rocked under Hermann. Everyone was cheating when he left. Now we want him back? No thanks. I would rather have Mangino than Hermann and about 6 other realistic candidates above either of themm