KXNO Sports Fanatics

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
White people don't think racism is a big deal until shade is thrown at CC by a black girl.
Yup. I don't think Travis is wrong - I do think a lot of these black commentators don't want to put Clark on the GOAT line because she's white. And that IS racist.

But when you compare the level of racism that white people might endure to the level of racism that black people might endure, it's a freaking joke. Get over it Mr Justice. Caitlin's going to be just fine. She didn't get her flowers from some media members, not murdered by some neighborhood watch douche because she wore a hoodie.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've been to Christophers -- lots of times as a matter of fact.

I can't recall ever hearing other people's private conversations at other tables

Some of us have super hearing. It's a blessing and a curse.

I can hear about 10 different conversations in my cube farm right now. :jimlad:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
White people don't think racism is a big deal until shade is thrown at CC by a black girl.
I think racism, bigotry, sexism, etc all happen in every direction. There is no doubt about that. Just because a person is in the majority doesn't mean they aren't sometimes looked down upon or held to a different standard by somebody in a minority. But it's much harder to feel sympathy when it happens in that scenario when at the same time a year ago the exact opposite was very clearly happening... and much more obviously.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think racism, bigotry, sexism, etc all happen in every direction. There is no doubt about that. Just because a person is in the majority doesn't mean they aren't sometimes looked down upon or held to a different standard by somebody in a minority. But it's much harder to feel sympathy when it happens in that scenario when at the same time a year ago the exact opposite was very clearly happening... and much more obviously.
People in the majority, while capable of being victims of racism, generally have all sorts of buffers that severely limit the damage that comes from it. Caitlin's a great example. This won't effect her draft status, endorsements, or anything like that. It's just talking heads that don't want to give her credit for a the wrong reason.

Reactions: Jer and Clonefan32

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There are a lot of black commentators that hold Clark to a higher standard than other players. It probably is racist on some level, but I guess I can't really be bothered to care. Caitlin Clark is not being held back in this world because she's white.
It’s pretty rough to grow up in suburbia and be able to afford private schools, AAU teams and travel, camps and coaches.

I think there is probably resentment that this level of hype has eclipsed that of very worthy players in the past, although some of them, such as Breanna Stewart, are also white. She also had a very different childhood than CC. So it may be an issue of privilege rather than race for some.

I guess we’ll see how ESPN decides to sell women’s basketball next year.

Reactions: CyCrazy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You know why Clark is considered a role model, despite having a terrible attitude that I wouldn't want any young player to emulate?
Because she’s a native Iowan playing at U of I and the DMR writers are cheerleaders and the local talent on KXnO is 99% Iowa fans. I don’t think it’s necessarily as much racial as a lot people believe. The role model narrative probably doesn’t exist outside Iowa.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
People in the majority, while capable of being victims of racism, generally have all sorts of buffers that severely limit the damage that comes from it. Caitlin's a great example. This won't effect her draft status, endorsements, or anything like that. It's just talking heads that don't want to give her credit for a the wrong reason.
Maybe we just wait and see what happens next year in the WNBA before declaring she is the GOAT. At this time there are a number of players in that league who could be considered the GOAT.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Murph back in studio today. Told a captivating story about eating out last night in DM. Said he could hear the conversations in all of the five surrounding tables and all were talking about CC/ Hok WBB. Some of the people singing her praises were even wearing Cyclone gear.

I am surprised Murph could stop yanking his crank to his Caitlin's Crunch Cereal box long enough to eaves drop on 1 conversation let alone 5.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The GOAT stuff is so ******* stupid. No one ever agreed on the GOAT in any sport. It’s subjective. People enjoy debating it. Is it legit to think Clark is the GOAT? Of course. Is it legit to think someone else is? You’re damn right.

We debate the GOAT of Iowa state basketball for god’s sake. Of course not everyone in the whole damn world will think Clark is the GOAT of all of women’s basketball.

Jesus.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Because she’s a native Iowan playing at U of I and the DMR writers are cheerleaders and the local talent on KXnO is 99% Iowa fans. I don’t think it’s necessarily as much racial as a lot people believe. The role model narrative probably doesn’t exist outside Iowa.
I'm pretty sure there was something during the national championship about her being a "role model" as one of her career accomplishments

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The GOAT stuff is so ******* stupid. No one ever agreed on the GOAT in any sport. It’s subjective. People enjoy debating it. Is it legit to think Clark is the GOAT? Of course. Is it legit to think someone else is? You’re damn right.

We debate the GOAT of Iowa state basketball for god’s sake. Of course not everyone in the whole damn world will think Clark is the GOAT of all of women’s basketball.

Jesus.

Which ISU player have we claimed to be the goat of college basketball?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Which ISU player have we claimed to be the goat of college basketball?

None. But what I said was we debate who was is the GOAT of Iowa State basketball. Is it Grayer? Is it Fizer? Is it Tinsley? Is it Georges?

If we debate that relatively minor thing, I'm not sure why it is surprising that not everyone thinks Clark is the GOAT of all.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
None. But what I said was we debate who was is the GOAT of Iowa State basketball. Is it Grayer? Is it Fizer? Is it Tinsley? Is it Georges?

If we debate that relatively minor thing, I'm not sure why it is surprising that not everyone thinks Clark is the GOAT of all.

I would say no to Clark. No defense. No championship. Tons of turnovers. I would say she is one of, if not the greatest offensive player in women's college basketball history. I would also put her high on the list of greatest of all time. Thee greatest? No.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The Morning Rush is going to be rough while Ross is out. Travis has spent the morning talking about a Twitter argument he had last night regarding Caitlin Clark and racism. Hopefully get some fill in co-hosts a few of these days as if it's just him the whole time it's going to be brutal.
Most of the shows just bring in another hok like that Bill Blank guy, Sipker, Eickholt, or more recently AD.