Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Some kids like/need the screaming, and others it really hurts their psyche. It's important for incoming players to know that's CBF's style, and to know themselves well enough if that is good/bad for them.

Yeah, that pool of players gets smaller and smaller every year though. That coaching style just isn't as common as even 10-15 years ago.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The real reason? We'll never know. There will likely be either silence or some polite summary that thanks the coaches and ISU for the "opportunity" etc. On the ISU side it will be "We wish her well."

I think there is an app that automatically generates the statements for Twitter since they are generally ALL the same. Variant add on is the old "I want to be close to home" but than transfer even further away. ;)

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here is who we've lost over the last 10-years, not sure any of them were program changers.

Kelsey Harris - transferred to UC Davis, played two seasons there with solid results.
Kileah Mays - took a chance, she was raw and was going to be stuck behind Prins, Poppens, and Christopherson, transferred to Texas State.
Nakiah Bell - transferred to SIUE, averages 8.8 ppg over her career at SIUE.
Bry Fernstrom - transferred to Minnesota, played but was never a star. Averaged 5.7 and 3.4 ppg.
Blaire Thomas - transferred to Iowa Western, then to Johnson C Smith, then to Norfolk State.
Teetee Starks - transferred to Arizona, played 2018-2019, then injured and quit playing.
Sofia Zivaljevic - transferred to NDSU.
Aliyah Konate - hurt her back and never played, went home to Germany.
Bride Kennedy-Hopoate - transferred to New Mexico, played in 8 games after sitting out, then let go from the team.
Lauren Mills - took a chance, never played, transferred to Montana. Played 47 minutes in 13 games this year.
Gabby McBride - took a chance, she was injured, transferred to a junior college in Texas. Played in 15 games at JUCO, averaged 1.9 mpg and 2.7 ppg.
Lindsay Jarosinki - retired from basketball, completing her degree at ISU.
Additions:
Claire Ricketts - Graduated with a year of eligibility left and opted not to go to grad school.
Jadda Buckley - Graduated with a year of eligibility left and opted not to go to grad school.
Rosie Gambino - Announced she was transferring before practice even started. Went to Wisconsin, where she sat another year with a foot injury and then played one season, averaging 1.1 ppg. She was a juco, so she'd had 5 years of school at that point.
Emiah Bingley - transferred to FSU. Averaged 5.3 ppg and 33% 3pt shooting in three seasons there. (Note: it sounded like an interpersonal issue within the team -- her dad was very complimentary of Bill when she left.)
Jess Schroll - This one killed me, and I'm still pissed at Bill for it ten years later. Transferred to Central Michigan. She played most of a season at CMU (she transferred at semester and opted to play most of the following season instead of sitting out a full season to play a full season), averaging 10.3 ppg.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Here is who we've lost over the last 10-years, not sure any of them were program changers.

Kelsey Harris - transferred to UC Davis, played two seasons there with solid results.
Kileah Mays - took a chance, she was raw and was going to be stuck behind Prins, Poppens, and Christopherson, transferred to Texas State.
Nakiah Bell - transferred to SIUE, averages 8.8 ppg over her career at SIUE.
Bry Fernstrom - transferred to Minnesota, played but was never a star. Averaged 5.7 and 3.4 ppg.
Blaire Thomas - transferred to Iowa Western, then to Johnson C Smith, then to Norfolk State.
Teetee Starks - transferred to Arizona, played 2018-2019, then injured and quit playing.
Sofia Zivaljevic - transferred to NDSU.
Aliyah Konate - hurt her back and never played, went home to Germany.
Bride Kennedy-Hopoate - transferred to New Mexico, played in 8 games after sitting out, then let go from the team.
Lauren Mills - took a chance, never played, transferred to Montana. Played 47 minutes in 13 games this year.
Gabby McBride - took a chance, she was injured, transferred to a junior college in Texas. Played in 15 games at JUCO, averaged 1.9 mpg and 2.7 ppg.
Lindsay Jarosinki - retired from basketball, completing her degree at ISU.
Emiah Bingley to Florida State where she averaged about 5/6 PTS per game over 3 years and made 89 3’s.

Kylie has to be the most talented and biggest surprise transfer ISU has had in what, 15 years?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Kylie has to be the most talented and biggest surprise transfer ISU has had in what, 15 years?
Maybe since Ashley Arlen, at least (2009). Fernstrom may have been at least her equal in talent, but that transfer was not a surprise. Starks was a talented surprise transfer too -- she'd lost her starting spot but looked to be a big factor in the future.

We've had our fair share of transfers, but relatively few of them are people who have more than a few occasional spot starts. Kennedy-Hopoate, Starks, Fernstrom, Schroll, Whit Williams, Arlen, Bremer are the only ones in that category (I think) going back 20 years.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe since Ashley Arlen, at least (2009). Fernstrom may have been at least her equal in talent, but that transfer was not a surprise. Starks was a talented surprise transfer too -- she'd lost her starting spot but looked to be a big factor in the future.

We've had our fair share of transfers, but relatively few of them are people who have more than a few occasional spot starts. Kennedy-Hopoate, Starks, Fernstrom, Schroll, Whit Williams, Arlen, Bremer are the only ones in that category (I think) going back 20 years.

I never got why Starks came to ISU in the first place. Bill's style was 100% NOT the style she played in HS and was, IMHO, best suited for.

Agree on Fernstrom, she was starting and averaging double figures for us. She did, statistically at Minnesota only half what she produced at ISU.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

IIRC Arlen’s fear of flying caused her to transfer to Wayne State where the team don’t have to fly but can travel by bus.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Some kids like/need the screaming, and others it really hurts their psyche. It's important for incoming players to know that's CBF's style, and to know themselves well enough if that is good/bad for them.
I think it's important for a coach to recognize what works for each individual player. Is that new school?
To be fair, that may ber EXACTLY what BF does. I wouldn't know.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm inclined to believe this is more of the reason...and could lead to more transfers if not careful. It was clear in many games that CBF doesn't really have an offense other to run through AJ...our loss against A&M was more of a coaching issue and less of a player issue, IMO...if she's leaving because she wants to play a different way, I don't blame her. She only gets so many opportunities. Sucks either way...
While I found this frustrating too I think the counter is it really is effective if the game is called appropriately. She always seems to be able to get fouled whether it’s called or not.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Jadda Buckley - Graduated with a year of eligibility left and opted not to go to grad school.
Rosie Gambino - Announced she was transferring before practice even started. Went to Wisconsin, where she sat another year with a foot injury and then played one season, averaging 1.1 ppg. She
Emiah Bingley - transferred to FSU. Averaged 5.3 ppg and 33% 3pt shooting in three seasons there. (Note: it sounded like an interpersonal issue within the team -- her dad was very complimentary of Bill when she left)
Jess Schroll - This one killed me, and I'm still pissed at Bill for it ten years later. Transferred to Central Michigan. She played most of a season at CMU (she transferred at semester and opted to play most of the following season instead of sitting out a full season to play a full season), averaging 10.3 ppg.

Jadda was a curious one - not sure whether she was done because of injuries or something else but I didn’t sense “warm” feeling when she announced she was done. With her performance as a Cyclone, I expected something warmer from the staff.
Bingley: I would have traded her for the one who shall not be named again
Schroll: she was solid. Ended up playing overseas for 2 years after playing for CMU.

Reactions: NWICY and ISU71

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
It is funny how the people aren't saying anything negative about coaches around the country that have 2-4 guys transfer in the men's portal, but we have one of our own transfer and people start pointing figures at our coach. Folks you may think he is abrasive and he does coach him hard, but if you really want to know what it is like to play for him ask former players. I have never heard a coach as revered by his former players than Coach Fennelly. Players are transferring all over the country, relax. Yeah we wish she would have stayed, but stop trying to make up blame.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Jadda was a curious one - not sure whether she was done because of injuries or something else but I didn’t sense “warm” feeling when she announced she was done. With her performance as a Cyclone, I expected something warmer from the staff.
Bingley: I would have traded her for the one who shall not be named again
Schroll: she was solid. Ended up playing overseas for 2 years after playing for CMU.
Jadda was wore out from all the crap that the one who shall not be named was doing. It wore on her.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The whole NCAA freebee extra year sure makes the transferring interesting. If you can get a waiver for immediate eligibility a player like Feuerbach could play five seasons in five years or, at worse, have six to play five if someone really wanted to hang around in school that long.

Still, the transfer sort of surprises me since she started immediately and was essentially tied with Wise for 5th in minutes. I am usually slightly surprised when some players do not transfer. Some gals seemingly get golden recruit treatment from day one, start and get to play through mistakes. Other players, like Emily Durr till her senior year and our current player Rae Johnson, get bench time after a single mistake. There always seems to be some extreme favoritism and unequal treatment that sometimes hard to decipher. Last year Espenmiller-McGraw was left in game after game when she was turning it over (setting a single game school record) but was left to play through it. Odd at the time to me with the quick hook for others. Same for Wise as a freshman, started and was allowed to play through mistakes and not get pulled immediately. Not saying MEM or Wise didn't have really good freshman years, just noting they seemed to get more latitude, also not saying they shouldn't have, more the opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Additions:
Claire Ricketts - Graduated with a year of eligibility left and opted not to go to grad school.
Rosie Gambino - Announced she was transferring before practice even started. Went to Wisconsin, where she sat another year with a foot injury and then played one season, averaging 1.1 ppg. She was a juco, so she'd had 5 years of school at that point.
Emiah Bingley - transferred to FSU. Averaged 5.3 ppg and 33% 3pt shooting in three seasons there. (Note: it sounded like an interpersonal issue within the team -- her dad was very complimentary of Bill when she left.)

Darcie D!ck and Melissa Youngblut, who both went D-II.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Kylie will likely be the first player of real significance we'll loose. Looking back at all of the previous ones you guys have listed, none are going to sting as much as Kylie. I think she will be very good.

As much as people criticize Bill's coaching style, at this point, the players coming in know what they are getting into. Bill's style has been heavily reported and any recruit can find all the information they need about him online. It works for him and for the players that stay, they get better as he coaches them hard. Just how it is. He has high expectations from his players.

• Agree

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Darcie D!ck and Melissa Youngblut, who both went D-II.
IIRC Darcie’s parents had an idea that she should be a starter. She was not a division I starting player material.
Youngblut: dismissed after punching someone during an altercation (at a bar IIRC)

• Informative

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Kylie will likely be the first player of real significance we'll loose. Looking back at all of the previous ones you guys have listed, none are going to sting as much as Kylie. I think she will be very good.

As much as people criticize Bill's coaching style, at this point, the players coming in know what they are getting into. Bill's style has been heavily reported and any recruit can find all the information they need about him online. It works for him and for the players that stay, they get better as he coaches them hard. Just how it is. He has high expectations from his players.

To be clear I was never criticizing Bill's coaching style. It's obviously effective and has lead to some great results. However, I can see how his style would lead to some kids not feeling fairly treated. I have no idea if that's what happened here or not. But you can see how it would happen.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735 and ISC