Lane Kiffin audio to player on mental health

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Everyone who agrees with Kiffin, fine. Kid should have communicated better. But Kiffin still yelled at the kid, swore at him, and kicked him off the team in a pretty rude way. The problem with these sorts of things is everyone is quick to make a comment on who is right or wrong without knowing the whole story.
I definitely understand where you’re coming from. I deal with anxiety and panic disorder, and I know there’s days where I need and do take mental health days off from work. Never have I been yelled at by my supervisor for it. But a work supervisor and a head football coach at a D1 college is definitely different. I think everyone knows Kiffin is an *******. So this is not too surprising.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I definitely understand where you’re coming from. I deal with anxiety and panic disorder, and I know there’s days where I need and do take mental health days off from work. Never have I been yelled at by my supervisor for it. But a work supervisor and a head football coach at a D1 college is definitely different. I think everyone knows Kiffin is an *******. So this is not too surprising.
I’m guessing though you tell your supervisor about needing those mental health days. If you just vanished from your job for two weeks with zero contact there might be a different reaction.

Also I don’t think the team was just ok with him vanishing, it was certainly someone’s responsibility to make sure he was alive and not in the middle of a crisis, if not then that’s a bigger issue for kiffin then the yelling.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Have you never been cussed out by a coach before? I think every football coach I've ever had including wrestling coaches have cussed me out or others for doing something wrong.
I'm not really old either, 32, so it wasn't in the 80s or 90s.
Kiffin was comparing the kid to work. A job. Most bosses don't swear at their employees. And save me the "you've never been in a construction crew before".

If my boss was yelling and swearing at me I'd quit.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Kiffin was comparing the kid to work. A job. Most bosses don't swear at their employees. And save me the "you've never been in a construction crew before".

Football coaches have been using "Go to work, lets go to work, show up to work" since I have been in high school. I think you're taking it a little too literally.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Everyone who agrees with Kiffin, fine. Kid should have communicated better. But Kiffin still yelled at the kid, swore at him, and kicked him off the team in a pretty rude way. The problem with these sorts of things is everyone is quick to make a comment on who is right or wrong without knowing the whole story.
I wouldn't even call that yelling. He was upset and said a few cuss word. Raised his voice a little. There are all sorts of different work environments, and this type of talk is very common in sports even at the professional level. The only thing I think was crossing the line was he called him a name of some kind. It's beeped out, but I think he called him a p***y. If that's what he said it's pretty uncalled for. The rest is a giant nothing burger in the sports world.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Sounds like the kid was able to keep his scholarship. It's unfortunate if was having mental health issues, and it's not his fault if he was, but it's still his responsibility to at least communicate with the coaches.

And Kiffin still seems like a douche.

Agree. If he had kicked him off the team for not communicating, and done it in a more respectful way, without the "rights" line and profanity ... this would likely be a non-story.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

I’ll say you’ve never been in healthcare before either lol but it’s more of “are you ******* kidding me” or “what the **** do you think you are doing” there is also the classic “are you trying to ******* kill them” surgery rotations are the worst

• Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
The problem here is Kiffin’s behavior. That is why he is getting sued, and why they will settle. If the response was:

“…you haven’t been showing up, I understand you are struggling. In the best interest of your safety, we need to make sure you have resources to help you. You won’t be participating in any activities until you feel better, and then we can re-evaluate.”

It would be nothing AND people would lift Kiffin up as a shining example.

He hasn’t shown up for two weeks. It’s not like he was playing or contributing to the team. Why spend the time yelling at him? It was stupid and at the end of the day he is the person of authority, and will be seen as liable for his own behavior.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Well I better be suing a former ISU coach because I got yelled at and a clip board thrown at me during a game.

Truth is I thought it was hilarious and actually laughed when it happened.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Quite frankly, I don’t disagree with Kiffin here. He does have a right to kick him off the team. They just can’t pull his scholarship as a result.
Right. The athlete just stopped showing up to practice and meetings for weeks.

That isn't Kiffin saying he doesn't believe in mental health issues. What was preventing the athlete from emailing/texting/calling the coach or any of the coaches? I think most people out there just gauging the internet side with Kiffin here.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As someone who has had anxiety/depression related mental health issues. The best setup would be to have someone at the athletic department level a student athlete can go to in a situation like this. That person can help them get access to resources and be a liaison with the coaching staff/program. It’s not reasonable that you’re going to have a meeting with a professor, coach, boss, et al in the middle of a mental health crisis/episode. But you should communicate in some way, particularly if there is a reasonably designed mechanism to do so. However, that doesn’t mean the student athlete automatically gets back on the team, that should be up to the coaching staff (while getting to keep their scholarship for the designated period).
Yeah, was going to say the same. The kid should have had a support network (maybe he did?) and someone in that network should have reached out to coaches, profs, RA, anyone else who expects to see the kid regularly. It's a lot to expect someone in crisis to do that, but someone should be prepared to do that for him - or any other student.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik