Lanning

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lanning still needs to be the guy right now. He had one sub par game, although he still made some great throws. We don't need a QB controversy after one stinkin' game.

I would hate to see this new coaching staff ruin QB's like the last one always did. Lanning has the tools to be a good QB. Give him at least a few games under his belt with an entirely new coaching staff before we all decide he's done for.

• Agree
Reactions: State2015

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
(Only at Iowa State) would fans push to give a QB more time (to develop) after a two interception, fumbled snap, safety, balls underthrown - game. We are pretty much the only Big 12 team that has consistently had below average QB play (and it shows in our win - loss record). Under thrown balls were a problem last year, and again in this game. Did anyone pay attention to J. Lanning's feet placement ? Once again, they were really not good (particularly in the fourth quarter).

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Lanning made blunders, for sure. But he also launched 3 TD passes (if you want to give the credit to the receivers, throws were good enough for them tomake the play).

And hiis panic-stricken safety can't be entirely on him: Empty backfield on 3rd-and-10 from ISU 11, with 90 seconds left in the half, leading a 13-6 game?

The last 6 minutes of the game was atrocious. Two picks by Lanning on terrible throws and decisions. And a bad fumble by Mike Warren. The safety play was bad. 3rd and 10 from the 11 and Lanning was about 6 yards deep in the end zone. You have to know where you are at and knowing the protection make a quicker decision and do something to avoid that safety. A 7 yard loss would have been much better. than what he did.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Five!?!? Please... Safety is not his fault when the dline was on him immediately. Fumbled snap isn't a major mistake either. Texas had two fumbled snaps last night and still won. The first interception was miscommunication between him and the WR. The last INT was the only "major mistake"...

And to answer your question, I saw Sam Richardson make "major mistakes" in just about every game he played in last year.

This is not accurate. Texas had two bad snaps (not fumbled snaps) by their true freshman center in his first start against a top ten team. Their true freshman QB was money all night long and only made one obvious mistake - an overthrown ball that was intercepted.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW and jkclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The last 6 minutes of the game was atrocious. Two picks by Lanning on terrible throws and decisions. And a bad fumble by Mike Warren. The safety play was bad. 3rd and 10 from the 11 and Lanning was about 6 yards deep in the end zone. You have to know where you are at and knowing the protection make a quicker decision and do something to avoid that safety. A 7 yard loss would have been much better. than what he did.

So we're going to start benching our QB's after one poor performance, is that right?

So in your opinion, we should start Park at Iowa and if he doesn't perform well then we should bench him too and go with Kempt the following week? And if Kempt doesn't look good, then we go back to Lanning? Is that your plan? Sounds great! Let's go with that.

• Agree
Reactions: MayorsCabinet

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Can't for the life of me figure out how UNI (even with our attrition) can consistently have better play in the trenches than ISU. Just flat out embarrassing. Our 300 pound lineman get completely dominated by their 260 pound guys regularly.

It happens every year, get used to it. I've been ******** about that on this board for 10 years now.

• Funny
Reactions: DUKEofDUBUQUE

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm at the point where we have nothing to lose give everyone a chance. If Park is the next baker mayfield and we never find out I'll be sad.

• Funny
Reactions: MayorsCabinet

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
it's not just Lanning...the whole group isn't good. Our team is not that good. Going to be a long season...again.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
it's not just Lanning...the whole group isn't good. Our team is not that good. Going to be a long season...again.

Apparently this is blowing people's minds right now and I just can't figure out why...that's what happens when your bible wears Cardinal and gold sunglasses.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So we're going to start benching our QB's after one poor performance, is that right?

So in your opinion, we should start Park at Iowa and if he doesn't perform well then we should bench him too and go with Kempt the following week? And if Kempt doesn't look good, then we go back to Lanning? Is that your plan? Sounds great! Let's go with that.

Never said anything like that. Just said that it was disturbing to see him fold like that during crunch time. Also recognize that both Lanning and Warren choked at the K-State game last year big time during crunch time. Players need to make clutch plays at crunch time. Warren needs to hold onto the ball. Fumbling at crucial times is not good. Lanning needs to quit turning the ball over at crucial times.

I haven't thrown in the towel on Lanning at all. But I am also aware that we have had some very bad play at some crucial times. And if it continues then you must give the other guy a shot and see how he responds. Lanning needs to perform well and if he doesn't or continues to choke at crunch time, then you have to try someone else. When you turn over the ball like we did on our last 3 possessions you have no chance to win. Continuing to play like that will cost Lanning the starting job. Lanning better step up and play decent. If he doesn't then Park will get some snaps and see how he directs the team. Repeated poor performance by Lanning will lead to Park playing and getting a shot.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
(Only at Iowa State) would fans push to give a QB more time (to develop) after a two interception, fumbled snap, safety, balls underthrown - game. We are pretty much the only Big 12 team that has consistently had below average QB play (and it shows in our win - loss record). Under thrown balls were a problem last year, and again in this game. Did anyone pay attention to J. Lanning's feet placement ? Once again, they were really not good (particularly in the fourth quarter).

He threw 10 incomplete passes, 2 were picked, and 2 or 3 were dropped. So that leaves 5 passes, at least 3 of those were actually over thrown. I may have missed a few passes but I don't remember one single throw that was thrown into the dirt like several of his passes last season. His feet were also in much better placement than last year. I didn't see one time he threw off his back foot, which he did a lot last year. I mean I was really intrigued to see how he improved from last year, and I saw a lot of promising things, and some not so promising things, but I feel like I saw enough to warrant more time. I was apparently wrong.

Reactions: tre

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
He threw 10 incomplete passes, 2 were picked, and 2 or 3 were dropped. So that leaves 5 passes, at least 3 of those were actually over thrown. I may have missed a few passes but I don't remember one single throw that was thrown into the dirt like several of his passes last season. His feet were also in much better placement than last year. I didn't see one time he threw off his back foot, which he did a lot last year. I mean I was really intrigued to see how he improved from last year, and I saw a lot of promising things, and some not so promising things, but I feel like I saw enough to warrant more time. I was apparently wrong.
J. Lanning's second interception was thrown off his back foot. Most QBs "revert" when bullets are flying. Other Big 12 teams do not seem to have problem changing QBs to find the one that will win them games.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I just don't get this. Lanning had one bad game, and even in that he threw some real nice passes. I hope Park can sling it, but he hasn't played football in two years. His last action was in a freakin' church league. His last meaningful read was trying to find a way to isolate Fat Bill who was only on the team because he bought the team's jerseys. I hope Lanning can become more consistent, but the idea that Park should replace him, or really take any percentage of his snaps, is a bit absurd to me.

'Short leash' is a far cry from 'he should be benched'. I'm all for Lanning. I believe that game wasn't indicative of what he can do, but to say that Park shouldn't get a couple plays here and there is pretty absurd in it's own right. Your backup should always get a couple plays here and there in an actual game situation unless your starter is just far and away better than the 2nd string.

As far as Park not being able to make a read...that's a bit absurd as well.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
It happens every year, get used to it. I've been ******** about that on this board for 10 years now.

Offensively, I think it's because we think we should push them around. When we just straight up zone block against aggressive teams that come downhill at us we struggle. UNI knows this and they do it every year. The isu offense has to be less predictable on all plays. Vary the running and passing plays. Lose the screens unless you can run them right. Those cost us possessions this week.

We ran very few stretch plays. Everything looked congested.

I like the downfield routes but would have loved to see a deep underneath route behind this with lanning rolling out. Not there... run the ball and don't ever slide.

This sliding crap is for teams who can win without a quarterback run game. We can't.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

Again...where has he or anyone said Lanning should be benched? Lanning had a subpar game. We all know it, we all saw it. He made some really really good throws, but also some very bad decisions. I said it before, it's his job to lose. But why would the coaching staff, who is brand new and has no connection to Lanning, not want to see what Park does in live game action?

L

LincolnWay187

I would have no issue sitting him. It's called a healthy competition. Who gives a damn about feelings. You've gotta perform...if park struggles put lanning back in.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
J. Lanning's second interception was thrown off his back foot. Most QBs "revert" when bullets are flying. Other Big 12 teams do not seem to have problem changing QBs to find the one that will win them games.

Okay, so instead of throwing on the run he tried to set his feet. Either way it wasn't going to end well. He should have run the ball in that scenario anyway.
As for the QB winning games, I rarely ever place a lot of blame on the QB in a win or loss. We're Iowa State, we've rarely ever had a good QB. When we have a good QB the run game is atrocious and the defense sucks. When the QB struggles the defense is good. It's not like we're bringing in highly touted recruits that don't perform. We bring in low rated guys and hope to develop. In Lanning's case, it's hard to develop and learn when you're trying to learn your 4th offense in 4 years on campus. I'm not saying that's an excuse for Joel but I don't know any QB that would be successful with that much coaching turnover. I'm surprised he didn't transfer after his RS Frosh year tbh