Larry alone atop C-USA

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Found this interview Pete Gillen did with Larry after their win over Memphis. Lol, Larry's never lost his sense of humor.

In case the vid gets switched up from the website:
Gillen: Coach you outrebounded them 36-23 tonite, how important was that?
Larry: Well since we can't make a layup or stop 'em......
Gillen: Coach your bench scores 45 points, how important was your bench?
Larry: Maybe I'm starting the wrong guys!

I couldn't find this on youtube, so apologies if the vid doesn't come up on this website anymore.

Southern Miss Golden Eagles | NCAA Basketball at CBSSports.com

Reactions: cyfanatic

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Haha great video, thanks for sharing! Still love Eustachy as a coach. I was really upset that Bruce VanDeVelde or whatever his name was fired LE after the whole Missouri thing. That set our programs back a few notches after losing him. Yeah people may argue that Wayne Morgan took us to the NCAA one year and the NIT final four another year but we had the most undisciplined teams during his years. We all know what happened during GMac's years. I'm just glad we are seeing some of the same fire out of our team that we saw during the Eustachy era again!

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I can't find the clip of it, but one game a remember we were up by like 15 points and Fizer or somebody had a huge dunk with like a minute left. There was a timeout and Fizer and everyone is celebrating and Larry absolutely flips. Hilarious.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Since I was on the subject and looking for that vid on youtube I ran across this gem. Tim Floyd on going back home last year to play Eustachy. Some really good stuff in here!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4kj7cOrsHQ]UTEP vs. Southern Miss Preview - YouTube[/ame]

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Definitely looks older...the thing I noticed was his voice sounded so different.

I think he must've lost his voice from screaming. I barely recognized him without the black nike turtleneck.

I think enough time has passed that we should schedule a non conference game with them. It would give ISU a chance to honor Larry's accomplishments and would actually be a pretty decent non conference game. Just seems like good closure for a guy that bled cardinal and gold.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
You just can't ever get enough listening to LE... 'when we first got here there was like 12 people at the game, 10 of them was our team'

Congrats on getting to 20 wins and getting the Memphis Monkey off your back.

I wonder if he gets shopped around to BCS schools at the end of the year?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He looks like he's aged about 10 years since he was at Iowa State.

Wait a minute...

The weight gain is probably a result of his quitting drinking. Trade one addiction for another.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ya Gotta Luv Larry Eustacy....

One time Larry told me that I should come up and teach his team how to make free throws because he wasnt doing a good job of teaching the fine art of free throwing.

I miss Larry and big 12 championships and esp being a real player not only in the reg conf but also in Kansas City in the conf tournament.

Well maybe Freddie can go two wins in the state of Oklahoma and we can take our rightful place as the biggest threat to Kansas in basketball...

"Its simple really, Iowa State is a basketball school"..quoting AD Jamie Pollard

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
at least that would mean we would be playing in the tourney. would be a huge story, and would draw a lot of attention imo. could be worse things to happen to us.

I know. I'm just saying it would be tough as a fan to watch us play against ol' Larry. He took us to the highest heights we've seen, and get **** on by an incompetent AD.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I really hope we don't play them in the tourney.
I am not joking when I say I had a dream last night we played them in the tournament and they walked all over us. Something like 70-56. Obviously I knew the dream wasn't that accurate because we were playing in Hilton.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I know. I'm just saying it would be tough as a fan to watch us play against ol' Larry. He took us to the highest heights we've seen, and get **** on by an incompetent AD.

Speaking of which Al......it is about time for Bruce to make another appearance on the board....can't remember what his handle was...

Help Support Us

Become a patron