Lawn care

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Or if your neighbor has a pussywillow you don't like it will take it out. Or so I'm told.

Not quite the same thing but had some interesting former neighbors that shared a fence line with me. One was an older guy who probably mowed his lawn about every 2 or 3 days because he had nothing better to do and the other was a lady that we both shared fence lines with but him more than me as he lived right next door where her's just backed up to a corner of my lot. Well she did nothing with her yard and had terrible creeping Charlie that was finding it's way into both of our yards. I was talking with the old man 1 day saying it if wasn't for her dog and the peonia bushes she had I'd just spray over into her yard when I sprayed mine but I didn't want to harm her plants or dog. He gave me a crappy grin and said "who is to say that someone isn't already doing that now?" Ha! The old man apparently didn't care much for her, he had already chewed her out a few times for pointing her downspouts towards his house causing the basement to get wet a few times so he had gotten to the point he didn't care since she didn't seem to care about being a good neighbor. Apparently he had even installed a tile with a drain intake in the small grass strip between their driveways to keep the water away from his house and she started dumping her cat litter in it which plugged it up and set him off too.

Gotta love neighbor drama... fortunately have not had any where we live now other than 1 of the neighbors behind us that used to leave their dog outside most of the day that eventually dug under the chain link fence and into our next door neighbor's yard. After finding the dog in their yard several times they just left their gate open 1 day and the dog ran out and was wandering the neighborhood for a few hours. Now they just leave him tied up on a chain when he is out back, sad that poor dog couldn't have run away and found a new home that treated him better.

• Funny
Reactions: cycloner29

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
After speaking with A+ I'm probably going with them. They also offered grub control as a separate option; how important is this? I'm probably going to skip this to save $

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Anybody have a preference of type of mole control ? Trap/Poison/Electronic deterrent etc.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Is grub control worth it?
Well it depends. The better your turf looks, the more inviting it looks to beetles looking to place their beetle babies in prime feeding grounds. On the other hand, very healthy turf can withstand a fair number of grubs without showing damage. I guess what i'm saying is it's only a problem when it's a problem, but it can devastate a very nice lawn in short order. To me, grub control is just insurance on maintaining my lawn. If you lawn ends up looking quite a bit better than your neighbor's then it's a target for grubs.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Thankfully we don't have the urine spot problem. Just getting torn up from running and playing. My wife started raking up dead grass and leaves on Friday so I will probably continue that this week and next weekend if it hopefully dries out and go from there with applications.

So much for that drying out wish...

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Anybody have a preference of type of mole control ? Trap/Poison/Electronic deterrent etc.

Growing up, our yard was terrible for moles. I'm not sure anything worked. Except the time when Dad and I were walking through the lawn and saw a mole run forming. Told me to grab the weed puller and then stabbed the mole.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Bumping an old thread of mine. Tonight we discovered a hole in our front yard; it looks like the one below, assuming this is from a mole. Is there anyway to get rid of this thing w/o killing it? Will one attract more? Is there a way to prevent more from coming?
photo%2B2-719512.JPG

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
If it’s a mole you’ll see visible runs (tunnels) in your yard.
Moles follow the food source. Grins and worms. You can apply some granules to kill all the bugs in your lawn to reduce the food source. 1 mole is inviting others.

Trapping it is the best method but that involves killing it.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Maybe this furry little dude digging holes in my yard isn't such a bad thing
https://hartley-botanic.com/magazine/801409421-moles-can-benefit-gardeners/

Until they tunnel next to your plants in the garden and kill them all. I've had that happen before.

I've tried many things to get rid of the ones from my back yard. Tried the poison worms and bombs. Neither seemed to work well. I finally talked to a trapper who recommended this trap and have had almost 100% success rate at removing them since. Wire tek eliminator trap.

714cddDIYvL._SL1500_.jpg

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I'm a horticulture graduate and currently a landscape designer and I don't give a crap what my lawn looks like. It's the biggest waste of money out there imo. Spend money on the plants around your house.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've had mole problems for years and tried every trick in the book. Once they show up, there is no way to completely remove them. Lately, I've been putting in their holes, what looks like tiny sticks of dynamite, but they produce a ton of smoke. If I can't get rid of them, at least I can piss them off.

Reactions: wxman1 and fenton06

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I've had mole problems for years and tried every trick in the book. Once they show up, there is no way to completely remove them. Lately, I've been putting in their holes, what looks like tiny sticks of dynamite, but they produce a ton of smoke. If I can't get rid of them, at least I can piss them off.

We did that a couple of times growing up and at the very least it was a fun time and interesting to see smoke randomly come out of your yard from holes you did not find and plug.