Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Everyone wishing Leath gone needs to awfully careful what they wish for.

I am not a Leath proponent by any means. My wife works on campus and he definitely has a negative reputation with the mid level employees/faculty. Generally he has been very good for the university during a historic time of growth. In many respects he stepped aside and let growth happen instead of "shaping" it and screwing up progress in the process.

With all the negative pub due to the plane scandal, hiring politicians for high level positions without proper vetting and rastetter land deals, there was little doubt he is looking to move on. And maybe it is time, but i'd take another Leath as his replacement. He's been a huge friend of the athletic department (bubu palo situation notwithstanding, but really what was he supposed to do? make a wrong move there and you're accused of being a mini baylor fast).

Historically ISU presidents have not put the emphasis on athletics. Geoffrey was good for athletics and Leath continued letting Jamie do his thing. This is the exception, not the rule in ISU history and has led to many decades of futility.

Keep in mind the replacement is selected by a board who's members are appointed by Brandstad, a graduate of Iowa and in the past has not been an ISU first kinda guy (more like Iowa first and just make sure they're #1 in this state)

Whomever is the hire will have a lot on there plate.

CyVolk

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2017
It doesn't matter how good he is at certain parts when there are ethical issues, and questionable major decisions.

I only partially agree with you. If there are ethical issues, he should be fired. So far the people with the "inside information" (not what the Register reports) have not fired him so I don't know what to think. As for major decisions, e.g., Veishea, Bubu, etc., I think he has done a fine job of protecting the university's reputation. I'm not interested in a Baylor-like situation at Iowa State.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes. I am aware of some people who are in his circle and they are on the opposite end of your opinion.

Plus using a term like "leftard" is so stupid, no matter what side you are on.

I'll add "snowflake" to that list. Neither term really lends itself to much of a thought process.

End rant to keep out of cave.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I am not a Leath proponent by any means. My wife works on campus and he definitely has a negative reputation with the mid level employees/faculty. Generally he has been very good for the university during a historic time of growth. In many respects he stepped aside and let growth happen instead of "shaping" it and screwing up progress in the process.

With all the negative pub due to the plane scandal, hiring politicians for high level positions without proper vetting and rastetter land deals, there was little doubt he is looking to move on. And maybe it is time, but i'd take another Leath as his replacement. He's been a huge friend of the athletic department (bubu palo situation notwithstanding, but really what was he supposed to do? make a wrong move there and you're accused of being a mini baylor fast).

Historically ISU presidents have not put the emphasis on athletics. Geoffrey was good for athletics and Leath continued letting Jamie do his thing. This is the exception, not the rule in ISU history and has led to many decades of futility.

Keep in mind the replacement is selected by a board who's members are appointed by Brandstad, a graduate of Iowa and in the past has not been an ISU first kinda guy (more like Iowa first and just make sure they're #1 in this state)

Pretty much where I stand. Leath has had his share of controversy, but overall he has been great for ISU. I just hope, if he does go, whoever is his replacement keeps the momentum going.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

True, but i think there's been a change overall in that the value of a successful athletics program.

For instance, take Villanova:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-villanova-gets-its-moneys-worth-from-basketball/
Villanova estimates the publicity value of winning the championship at about $250 million, rising to more than $1 billion if the value of the game broadcasts is included, according to Villanova Provost Patrick Maggitti.

Successful athletics does quite a bit in terms of marketing value for the university, aiding both in recruiting as well as keeping alumni connected to the university, who you then can mine for academic donations.

This part is the more worrying part. With what happened over at U of I, and with the current anti-intellectualism that seems to be rampant with some in the republican party (see also: Sizzler U representative from Ottumwa), it may not be the best time to have an opening.

• Agree
Reactions: isugcs and Judoka

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I only partially agree with you. If there are ethical issues, he should be fired. So far the people with the "inside information" (not what the Register reports) have not fired him so I don't know what to think. As for major decisions, e.g., Veishea, Bubu, etc., I think he has done a fine job of protecting the university's reputation. I'm not interested in a Baylor-like situation at Iowa State.
While the ethics issues were somewhat cleared, it isn't like the people doing the clearing were exactly 100% independent.

I'm not interested in being like Baylor, but everyone but him and the BOR have sided with Bubu and pretty much called him an idiot. In regards to VEISHEA while there were definitely issues that need to be addressed he didn't do a good job of understanding what it meant to the school. This is also from someone who wasn't a fan of it. Leath is so scared of anything negative that he goes to far the other way which makes it look bad.

The last thing I would like to point out is that while the growth is great it needs to be slowed some, because the infrastructure isn't there yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

This is a good take. Remember that it was a president, not AD, that ran off Orr. Also, I would take a leader willing to stand aside and let growth happen 10 times out of 10. Usually there's too much ego and they feel compelled to intervene.

I totally understand why Leath is pulling a Cuonzo, and it may be best for both him and the university. But I also have concerns about any replacement.

Reactions: isugcs

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This part is the more worrying part. With what happened over at U of I, and with the current anti-intellectualism that seems to be rampant with some in the republican party (see also: Sizzler U representative from Ottumwa), it may not be the best time to have an opening.

Not liking the idea of coming off a period of unprecedented growth and then maybe getting some ideological hack as the new university president. Hell, my instate family already mocks me for donating money to a "government school".

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Leath has been great for the University and would be a big loss. There is a lot of potential down-side in replacing him*.

*See Sally Mason

• Agree
Reactions: isu83 and awd4cy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Leath has been great for the University and would be a big loss. There is a lot of potential down-side in replacing him*.

*See Sally Mason

Not to mention the Regents replaced her with Harreld...

Will we get the CEO of Taco John's? Or Golden Corral?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Leath has had his share of issues, but he has raised a TON of money for ISU. We might be able to do better, but I fear we could do a LOT worse too.

• Agree
Reactions: isugcs

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Bye Leath, take your money corruption with you to Auburn. Also take your suppression of free speech with you leftard.

giphy.gif

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I generally would agree, but the scrutiny surrounding Leath with the plane investigation, plus the uncertainty surrounding who his boss will be (as Bruce Rastetter leaves the post of president of the Regents), makes this make more sense IMO.

I for one think this would be too bad; he has really done a great job growing ISU and bringing in cash.
Mike Richards will be the next Board president.