Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Auburn is looking for a new president and word on the street is that there is mutual interest between them and Steve Leath (current Iowa State president).

Here is a story on it: http://www.oanow.com/news/local/au-...cle_7ec73b1d-b066-5d9c-a3e3-e9c5963eb320.html

"Meanwhile, one name on that short list, multiple sources told the Opelika-Auburn News, is that of Iowa State University President Steven Leath, whose experience in agriculture and leadership at a land-grant university could make him an attractive pick for Auburn."

Auburn's board plans to vote on Monday (March 20) so we could know soon whether or not this is true.

Would be a sad day for Iowa State in the midst of its largest fundraising campaign ever. He inherited the Harkin mess from GG and also inherited GG not willing to finish off our annual spring riot that left us vulnerable for millions in litigation. ISU has a stronger infrastructure than ever before (still needs developing also) and is doing it with little support from our legislature who has worked entirely against us. If he leaves, expect a Gordon Eaton-type hire that returns ISU to a status preferred by the eastern Iowa elite as a surrogate to SUI.

It would be time to panic

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
AR-310289987.jpg
1549542544-1299.png

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I think Leath leaving would not be in Iowa State's best interest. No doubt there have been issues but, overall, he has been great at growing Iowa State's reputation, connecting with business/donors and supporting athletics. It's a tough job but I would give him high marks in most, not all, areas. We could and have done much, much worse.

Agreed. Taking many factors into account, Leath has done a very good job at ISU. He is also relatively down to earth and personable, which I appreciate in a president.

For the poster who posted "leftard," you couldn't be more wrong and your willingness to spout off opinions and slander someone without being even remotely close to informed on an issue is obvious considering how loose you were willing to be to write your ill-informed drivel. Leath is a Republican and while I am moderate left, I respect the work he's done at ISU based on the totality of his work. I think he would not be easy to replace.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
A
Dang. You beat me to a Chizik joke.

Auburn = Chizik.....cue the video of the dumb baffoon screaming at him after he got off the plane in 2008 in Auburn.....so freaking ignorant and burned into my mind and I wish it wasn't.
I have such little sympathy for these vagabond academic careerists......scaring little old ladies that funding cuts will cause young children to not be able to read since 1858.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Leath isn't perfect (I mean, he is friends the Bruce RATstetter) but the fund-raising has been great under him, the university has had great growth, and his emphasis on research and grants is another great revenue producer for the University. I think overall he has done a good job and I wouldn't want to see him leave at this point.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Then why would he leave, is indeed he was serious about the future of Iowa State and the current "Forever True, For Iowa State" fundraising campaign?

People aren't allowed to change jobs? I also think there is a loud, vocal, segment of the university/students/alumni that is never going to like him - maybe they are chasing him off?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He turned ISU into a good ol boys club and lowered entrance requirements, so letting any Tom **** or harry to get in for a year or so, then fail out... but at least they got that cash for 1 year instead of them going to dmacc

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
He turned ISU into a good ol boys club and lowered entrance requirements, so letting any Tom **** or harry to get in for a year or so, then fail out... but at least they got that cash for 1 year instead of them going to dmacc
You mean, you would prefer a Gordon Eaton-type president?
enjoy your next president as they chase off JP and devalue athletics as I promise you, we have some elected officials in our legislature that want exactly that to happen

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

Thanks Sean Spicer.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You mean, you would prefer a Gordon Eaton-type president?
enjoy your next president as they chase off JP and devalue athletics as I promise you, we have some elected officials in our legislature that want exactly that to happen
I would like a change - lots of ISU faculty/staff do. I realize the main job of a university president is now fund-raising, but there are many candidates around who could match Leath in that, and avoid controversy at the same time.
Remember, before ISU hired him, Leath was a finalist for the San Diego State presidency - that's a school several tiers below ISU. They passed on him, feeling "he wasn't academic enough."

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Won't be sad at all if Leath is gone. We need a president that prioritizes the academics of the university as well as being a good fundraiser - he's only really one of those things. The only thing that scares me is that Leath has realized the importance of athletics in supporting the university's general mission. That's not something found in every college president - and his replacement could feel this way.

To me, Geoffroy is just about the perfect model for a good ISU president. Hopefully we don't see a further corporatization of the university, ala Iowa.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I would like a change - lots of ISU faculty/staff do. I realize the main job of a university president is now fund-raising, but there are many candidates around who could match Leath in that, and avoid controversy at the same time.
Remember, before ISU hired him, Leath was a finalist for the San Diego State presidency - that's a school several tiers below ISU. They passed on him, feeling "he wasn't academic enough."

Lots of faculty and staff didn't like Geoffrey, either. That's the nature of the job.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Since when does the president control entrance requirements? And, has the BoR really made changes or are you completely full of ****?

Help Support Us

Become a patron