*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
If Iowa State evers wins a National Championship, god have mercy on Ames.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yea, you can say that the rioting isn't a planned event and yadda yadda yadda, but the fact is VEISHEA has sadly become associated with rioting and these kinds of incidents. As long as it's on the calendar, you are going to see an uptick in drinking and bad decisions for that week. You just are. You either have to cancel it or find some magic way to change the culture of the idiot's on campus that think this is just what Iowa Staters do.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I bet this makes it worse, much worse.

I'm pretty sure it won't help this year but maybe it's the only solution going forward? Sure seems like anything they've done to try and change student attitudes about VEISHEA week, going back to my freshman year ('05-'06) have basically just been mocked or ignored.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see why they can't have the parade. Most of the students don't care about the parade compared to the number of alum that do. I have been looking forward for weeks to taking my son (who is too young to understand why he can't go to the parade) on Saturday. Not to mention all the students who spent hours and thousands of dollars on the parade.

I have no problem with suspending all nightly activities, concerts, and anything that is at any risk of safety issues. Just don't see why we can't keep the parade. Very upset as an alum.

At first glance, yeah, cancelling the parade sucks. But the consequences of what happened last night need to "hurt". They need to be remembered by everybody so that if VEISHEA is to continue, something like this doesn't happen again.

"But the wrong people are being punished!"
Yep, nearly everyone this affects wasn't even near Welch last night, but life is never, ever fair.

I'm definitely glad the student that was hit appears to be okay.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I bet this makes it worse, much worse.

We'll see, but I bet you're wrong. People are stupid, but I don't think they are that stupid.

1. Not near as many out-of-towners are going to come to Ames.
2. This is in the public eye right now, and they know if they riot and get caught on tape they will be punished. Whether or not they are caught at the time.
3. I would like to think there are enough level headed students to tell the few who want to go tear **** up to cool it. This whole event makes the University look horrible. Anymore of it will only make things worse. Even college kids should understand that.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I know, I will be staying away from campus this weekend. I hope this doesn't escalate..... I kind of feel like we haven't seen the end of VEISEA this year.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Incorrect decision, in my opinion.

Iowa State's image is tarnished right now. Saturday's morning and afternoon events represent the true spirit of Veishea and the University: the parade, Veishea Village, Taste of Veishea, all of the open houses. These are the events that engage the alumni, the community, and the student organizations. This is what student orgs spend their money on and where they make it back. This is where they show off what they're passionate about.

Cancel evening activities that have high density of rowdy students? Absolutely. Tell the police to have little to no tolerance of crowds and parties? Great. But punish a completely different demographic and eliminate the opportunity to rebuild some of Iowa State's lost reputation? That's wrong.

twnp3rd

Feb 24, 2014
I don't see too many parties being cancelled because there is no longer a parade. This might end up being a massive backfire on Leath.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How do you prevent this crap now that its become ingrained in the culture of the event? As long as it's on the calendar it's going to be used as an excuse by idiots to engage in this kind of crap.

Expel students caught rioting. Charge out of towners.

Pretty simple.

If Leath ends Veishea, **** him. **** him right in the ***. This is a great celebration for the University and 1 riot every 10 years doesn't change a lick of that. Ending Veishea will hurt Iowa State University far more than a once-decade-riot.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
After a few video and pictures head to the police and students start getting arrested and kicked out of school, reality will set in for a few of them

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
At first glance, yeah, cancelling the parade sucks. But the consequences of what happened last night need to "hurt". They need to be remembered by everybody so that if VEISHEA is to continue, something like this doesn't happen again.

"But the wrong people are being punished!"
Yep, nearly everyone this affects wasn't even near Welch last night, but life is never, ever fair.

I'm definitely glad the student that was hit appears to be okay.

the problem with that is those that caused the problem don't give a **** about the parade......

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Unfortunately, I think this was the only choice that he had. If he had just allowed things to go on, he would have looked like an idiot.....ignoring what took place. How could he do that?

You can't pick and choose the events that you cancel. That would just create ill will and screams of being unfair. He had to do the only thing the University has the power to do and that is just to discontinue the event.

The University has no legal authority (and I'm not sure the City of Ames does either) to shut down legal businesses. Now, if they are doing something illegal, that would be another matter.

Ideally, ISU would be able to cancel the idiotic students and others that caused this and let the events go on, but that is not reality.

It's really too bad that students have managed to ruin what used to be a major, important showcase for ISU. All for some drinks and a chance to act like the morons they have proven to be.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't think students will riot again this week. The ramifications of it and getting caught won't be worth it. And I can only assume a **** ton of parents contacted their kids and said 'if you get caught, you're on your own with the consequences'. that alone would keep me away from that area no question.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
How do you prevent this crap now that its become ingrained in the culture of the event? As long as it's on the calendar it's going to be used as an excuse by idiots to engage in this kind of crap.
That is for a competent, major university president to determine. If they/he does decide to get rid of it, I am sure the decision will be appealed and revisited at some point in the future- within 10 years hopefully.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it won't help this year but maybe it's the only solution going forward? Sure seems like anything they've done to try and change student attitudes about VEISHEA week, going back to my freshman year ('05-'06) have basically just been mocked or ignored.

There weren't any riots from '05-'13. So to say that students are incapable of behaving themselves is stupid.

College students, and especially at ISU, like to party. Why the hell can't people just accept that fact of life and move on?

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Expel students caught rioting. Charge out of towners.

Pretty simple.

If Leath ends Veishea, **** him. **** him right in the ***. This is a great celebration for the University and 1 riot every 10 years doesn't change a lick of that. Ending Veishea will hurt Iowa State University far more than a once-decade-riot.

Lol so expel the students and only charge the out-of-towners? Or charge the students as well as expel them?

Sooner or later I have a feeling you'll come to the conclusion that your little rant means nothing. President Leath has got to put the safety of his students and the community first. By allowing these events to continue he would have lost a hell of a lot more respect compared to what he gained by canceling it. I'm sure it was not an easy decision, but it's the decision he had to make whether you agree with it or not. Even students were involved in this decision, and he said himself that there was very little support in the decision-making group to continue the VEISHEA activities this week.

You need to gain some perspective.

Reactions: Angie

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Anybody who tries to riot after a student was seriously injured, and police are ready to prosecute off video evidence, is just another kind of stupid.

I think after hearing about the whole mess this morning, those students who were involved last night realize what they did was stupid.