*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see why they can't have the parade. Most of the students don't care about the parade compared to the number of alum that do. I have been looking forward for weeks to taking my son (who is too young to understand why he can't go to the parade) on Saturday. Not to mention all the students who spent hours and thousands of dollars on the parade.

I have no problem with suspending all nightly activities, concerts, and anything that is at any risk of safety issues. Just don't see why we can't keep the parade. Very upset as an alum.

My guess would be (and this is a callback to when we had Homecoming issues in high school) that they don't want the kids who get together and work on the floats to have a chance to congregate through an organized event like that.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why cancel it this year? All you are doing are eliminating the good things. The partying for this coming weekend is already set in motion. Probably just making it worse by cancelling the other stuff.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
'Guess we shouldn't party or drink or have all our friends come to town this weekend now...'

- no student after hearing that announcement

JackDog

Aug 31, 2012
Washington
Why cancel the parade? You're not punishing the rioters by canceling VIESHEA events as they wouldn't be attending them anyway. If you want to punish the rioters, shut down the bars and alcohol sales

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see why they can't have the parade. Most of the students don't care about the parade compared to the number of alum that do. I have been looking forward for weeks to taking my son (who is too young to understand why he can't go to the parade) on Saturday. Not to mention all the students who spent hours and thousands of dollars on the parade.

I have no problem with suspending all nightly activities, concerts, and anything that is at any risk of safety issues. Just don't see why we can't keep the parade. Very upset as an alum.

I agree, it's too bad they couldn't keep the daytime activities. I feel that they were going to need an increased police presence the next few nights anyway and whether or not they have a parade isn't going to have an impact on the night activities.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I guarantee the students will still rage this week and weekend regardless. It's not like 'rioting' was one of the planned events. It just happens.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Horrible decision. Even worse if its permanently over.

Crack down on the trouble makers. Don't screw over the vendors, alumni, and responsible students.

How do you prevent this crap now that its become ingrained in the culture of the event? As long as it's on the calendar it's going to be used as an excuse by idiots to engage in this kind of crap.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The students really screwed this great event up. I was heavily involved in VEISHEA in the 80's. It was a great event to showcase our campus. We still partied a lot, but never had a lot of the violence. Some Students have just ruined this great event and I agree it needs to disappear. It is an embarrassment to Iowa State now.

Thanks to a few stupid idiot students

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My guess would be (and this is a callback to when we had Homecoming issues in high school) that they don't want the kids who get together and work on the floats to have a chance to congregate through an organized event like that.

Just sucks as a parent. My kid loves parades and I was so proud at the idea of showing him one of his Dad's favorite loves - Iowa State. Why punish alum, kids, and those that worked their ***** off for a good cause.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I would assume they will refund everyone's money for the concerts?
I'm guessing Warren Madden will do everything in his power to return money but his hands may be tied if they can't identify who purchased tickets. They did say they would try to recoup all costs.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
Why cancel it this year? All you are doing are eliminating the good things. The partying for this coming weekend is already set in motion. Probably just making it worse by cancelling the other stuff.

Sad but true. All the stuff they cancelled has always had the objective to draw students away from the partying.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Why cancel the parade? You're not punishing the rioters by canceling VIESHEA events as they wouldn't be attending them anyway. If you want to punish the rioters, shut down the bars and alcohol sales

Then you are punishing the owners and employees of the bars

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I guarantee the students will still rage this week and weekend regardless. It's not like 'rioting' was one of the planned events. It just happens.

I don't know, do people usually walk around with firecrackers in their pockets?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

ISU can't close private businesses. The only event ISU can cancel is the one people use as their excuse for this stupidity.
Leath made a good call shutting this down. If he goes the permanent direction, it's about time for that as well.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Leath just made an excellent point.

paraphrase: "In years past, it's been on the weekend and wasn't us. This was Tuesday - it was us".