Led Zeppelin

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Not giving the people who literally pay to make your freaking tour possible is douche canoe level asshat punk stuff. Hey, it’s not like your band just poured out of a stinky, beat up Chevy van in front of some nothing bar in the middle of South Dakota. You probably just flew first class, transfered to a half million dollar tour bus, then rolled on up to a 14,000, seat arena where a million dollar sound and light show has been assembled by a crew of minimum wage union works for you to do your thing. Hell, you didn’t even have to tune any of the 13 guitars you make the 4 semi trucks that haul all your crap from venue to venue. Least you could do is play the 4 songs that everyone in your audience likes.

Or you could just be Tom Petty where literally every song you play during a two hour set is some giant top ten hit.

I say this as someone who likes Radiohead, just never saw them live. I did witness the Smashing Pumpkins do this same crap, and I thought it was major BS then.

tolstoy

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you’re older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Pearl Jam met with the Grateful Dead people to study longevity and how the Dead did it. PJ always play hits. you're going to get Jeremy or Once at every show, but they also mix it up.

But Radiohead are artists, and if they feel they have a good set list, I'd listen no questions asked. And if that is what they do, not just play hits, good on them as they have no issues selling Tickets.

As for Smashing Pumpkins, with the politics in that band, who knows what goes thru Corgan's mind.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Mount Rushmore of all time bands....

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rolling Stones

Pretty hard to argue with that list IMO. Yeah, some can make the case for groups like Rush, The Who, U2, Radiohead, Pearl Jam and others.... but you would have to remove someone to add someone else..... so who would you remove?

My least favorite of the four is the Stones, but it would be tough to take them off. Also interesting how none of the four is American.

What would be the Mount Rushmore of American bands? Pearl Jam? Petty? Springsteen and the E Street Band? REM, Others?

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

Pretty hard to argue with that list IMO. Yeah, some can make the case for groups like Rush, The Who, U2, Radiohead, Pearl Jam and others.... but you would have to remove someone to add someone else..... so who would you remove?

My least favorite of the four is the Stones, but it would be tough to take them off. Also interesting how none of the four is American.

What would be the Mount Rushmore of American bands? Pearl Jam? Petty? Springsteen and the E Street Band? REM, Others?

All those Bands were heavily influenced by the Blues, Country, early Rock'n Roll.. Keith Richards by Chuck Berry. Kind of ironic those are the best bands, and the most important influence on them was American music. Buddy Holly was hugely influential. For some reason, and maybe just do to the tech and quality of the music, there is real Nostalgia for the '60's and '70's.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It's for the extra douchey who normally listen to bands "you've probably never heard of".

That way they can go to a concert and say they are there for the songs the average Radiohead fan doesn't listen to.
Right. Can you imagine going to see the Stones or Zepplin and they don’t play Satisfaction or Cashmier. It’s incredibly douchy. It’s very hipster.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Honestly for the American ones I'd maybe have more singular people and not bands (even though they had bands).
Elvis, Prince, Garth for example.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Btw I like Radiohead but to even put them in the top ten is crazy. Over bands like Guns and Roses, Motley Crue, Rush, Aerosmith, and so many others. They are a good band. I’m not saying that but look at album sales, tours and so on. They might make a top 30 list.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Seriously? Just crown them the best of all time? cmon now. maybe crown them the best boomer band of all time.
I wouldn't even be willing to crown them best boomer band. Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Doors, Pink Floyd, and CCR are boomer bands off the top of my head I would have right up there with them. I love getting the Led out but no way I'd crown them best all time. I should mention that I can't name one favorite when it comes to anything so my opinion probably doesn't matter much here.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All those Bands were heavily influenced by the Blues, Country, early Rock'n Roll.. Keith Richards by Chuck Berry. Kind of ironic those are the best bands, and the most important influence on them was American music. Buddy Holly was hugely influential. For some reason, and maybe just do to the tech and quality of the music, there is real Nostalgia for the '60's and '70's.

This is so true.

People like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc had a HUGE influence on these groups from England. It did start in America, but some of these English groups really took it and ran with it better than almost anyone else.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Greatest band ever.

The man in black has something to say about this...

img-410-15354.jpg

Reactions: Stewo

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Honestly for the American ones I'd maybe have more singular people and not bands (even though they had bands).
Elvis, Prince, Garth for example.

I wouldn't even be willing to crown them best boomer band. Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Doors, Pink Floyd, and CCR are boomer bands off the top of my head I would have right up there with them. I love getting the Led out but no way I'd crown them best all time. I should mention that I can't name one favorite when it comes to anything so my opinion probably doesn't matter much here.

I do not know how you do not have the Beach Boys and CCR on such a list.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Top 5 for sure. Grateful Dead #1. Jerry on the guitar gives me an eargasm

Last edited:
Reactions: matclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
those are not bands. Think we are talking best band and not best artist

You could maybe throw Dylan and the Band together.

The line between them was fuzzy sometimes.

Then again, most of the Band were actually Canadian.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Does anybody remember laughter?

When the Levee Breaks by itself puts Zeppelin in the top slot.

Played the instruments. Crossed over genres. Rock. Blues. Country. Even some dance-ish stuff.

Very few songs are worn out even after all of these years (Stairway....not good)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Right. Can you imagine going to see the Stones or Zepplin and they don’t play Satisfaction or Cashmier. It’s incredibly douchy. It’s very hipster.

Crosby Stills and Nash did that. Flipping decided to play an obscure playlist.

Actually left that concert early. One of the worst I've seen.

(Hinder....still the worst band I've seen live. Who's Hinder? Exactly)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron