Let’s Go (home) Lions!

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Ordinarily I would have been cheering hard for the Lions and my heart breaks for them tonight, but it’s hard not to root for Purdy proving the haters wrong.

Side note: it’s now a Big 12 QB duel for the Lombardi.

Reactions: clonechemist

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Dan Campbell made dumb decisions that cost them the game. This is to go to the Superbowl for crying out loud.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Doing a wellness check-everyone okay over here?

You don’t have to be an a**hole…. or do you?

This would be the equivalent of ISU being one win away from going to the National Championship in football…. and being up 17 in the 2nd half…. and losing it.

Not only that, but the Lions literally GAVE SF 20 points in this game that they didn’t even have to earn at all. Detroit was easily the better football team, but just imploded.

It would be very difficult to accept that loss when you know you were better.

• Haha
Reactions: RagingCloner

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Dan Campbell won a lot of games this year by being aggressive, but tonight it cost him the Super Bowl unfortunately.

Detroit absolutely dominated this game physically on both sides of the ball, and handed the game to SF. I’d be throwing up if I were a Lions fan.
There is a huge difference between being aggressive and being stupid. His arrogance costs them the number one seed by going for the win in Dallas after they were screwed the first time and stopped the second. Tonight, you have to tie the game up by kicking the field goal.
Campbell reminds me of the former Chargers coach that kept going all the time on 4th down, its great when its working, but when it fails it costs you games.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
There is a huge difference between being aggressive and being stupid. His arrogance costs them the number one seed by going for the win in Dallas after they were screwed the first time and stopped the second. Tonight, you have to tie the game up by kicking the field goal.
Campbell reminds me of the former Chargers coach that kept going all the time on 4th down, its great when its working, but when it fails it costs you games.
I like the idea of going for it on 4th down when you’re just inside the fifty, but when you’re within field goal range just take the freaking points. Coming up empty is a huge momentum shift.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Did they win any games by being aggressive though?

I think he should have kicked the second one, but how do you argue with sticking with the philosophy that got you to where you are? Most times coaches (looking at you Harbaugh) get roasted for changing things that worked when the stakes get higher.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Did they win any games by being aggressive though?

I think he should have kicked the second one, but how do you argue with sticking with the philosophy that got you to where you are? Most times coaches (looking at you Harbaugh) get roasted for changing things that worked when the stakes get higher.
Yes, they did, and they lost today and against the Cowboys for being over aggressive. Nothing wrong with being aggressive, but Campbell let that get to him today and they are finished. You have to play smart, and tying the game up when he had a chance was the thing to do. Tie it back up and play on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yes, they did, and they lost today and against the Cowboys for being over aggressive. Nothing wrong with being aggressive, but Campbell let that get to him today and they are finished. You have to play smart, and tying the game up when he had a chance was the thing to do. Tie it back up and play on.
You win some, you lose some.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone else going for the Lions today or is everyone just a Purdy Stan and forgetting that Montgomery was really the catalyst for the rise of ISU football?
This thread went about as well as your rot thread.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Montgomery 15 car 93 yds 6.2 ypc 1 TD. 2 rec 20 yds

Really wanted him to get that 2nd TD late, but Campbell drifted away from him in 2nd half and didn't get back to him soon enough. Gibbs fumble was killer.

David also blocked very well in passing situations.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You have a once in a lifetime chance to go to the super bowl, something your organization has never done. You tie up the game and then play it out. They were running wild on the 9ers, just keep doing it. That stop gave more energy to SF and they went down the field and went up by 10. If they make the field goal, momentum. switches back to the Lions.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am a Lions fan and would be if not for Purdy.

I was friends with Cory Schlesinger and his family growing up so for a lot of years I genuinely tried to be a Lions fan knowing a long time player but with all the losing when he was long gone it just kind of faded away.

It did make it even easier to cheer for them and DM this year, I figured anything would be better than the Bears and was surprised how great they were all year. Their fans deserve to see a winner like few others.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Montgomery 15 car 93 yds 6.2 ypc 1 TD. 2 rec 20 yds

Really wanted him to get that 2nd TD late, but Campbell drifted away from him in 2nd half and didn't get back to him soon enough. Gibbs fumble was killer.

David also blocked very well in passing situations.

I really hate the “the Lions lost because they went away from Montgomery” argument, because it ignores the two times I remember him getting the ball in the second half he was absolutely stuffed by the Niners D. It also ignores what really got the Lions that lead in the first half: the Lions offense - including Montgomery - exploiting the edge of the Niners D. Forcing the Niners to try (and fail) to defend the edge was what opened up the defense to run it down their throat. Watching the Lions try to run the ball up the middle in the second half was almost as painful as watching the Cyclones try to do it all last year when it simply wasn’t working for them.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No love for Detroit Lions (the organization) but do feel for the fans/city. However, as a Vikings fan, I couldn't live with myself if the Lions made a Superbowl before the Vikings do in my lifetime.

All SF had to do was remember the Lions gonna Lions.