ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
By looking at our numbers, here's what I've gathered. You all tell me if I'm right, wrong, etc. This is your site and I don't want to waste my time by producing content that you don't want.

1) You like quick hitting, often times opinionated, blogs.

2) A notebooks, camp report, more quick hitting blog is better than a long feature.

3) Podcasts are being listened to two to three times more than they used to be. Keep doing those?

4) In general, you like written content more than videos.

Anything anybody else would like to add? Those points are what our numbers indicate. Thanks!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Videos are nice when I've got time to sit down, but right now they often are the same content that Cyclones.TV has, just from a different camera angle. Blogs and long form written stuff is where CF brings unique info and viewpoints. Plus I can read a blog on my phone, or while I'm sitting in a meeting at work. Videos require me to devote more attention and be somewhere where I can put on headphones.

And I'd keep up the podcasts. They are nice to have on in the background while driving.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Videos are nice when I've got time to sit down, but right now they often are the same content that Cyclones.TV has, just from a different camera angle. Blogs and long form written stuff is where CF brings unique info and viewpoints. Plus I can read a blog on my phone, or while I'm sitting in a meeting at work. Videos require me to devote more attention and be somewhere where I can put on headphones.

Kind of my theory too. Plus, videos take forever to upload, edit, etc. I had a video intern bail on me at the last minute this year so I'm still kind of working on getting that back into the mix. Thanks for the input.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The opinions and humor of the writers for the site are great, keep it coming. I prefer longer features but the main reason I come to this website is for news about ISU athletics so the camp reports/tidbits are good IMO as well.

Don't listen to podcasts or watch videos, but I don't really do that for any site I use, not because of anything you're doing/not doing with them.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I prefer the articles, rarely click on a video link unless it's something I really want to see. Podcasts are nice, I listen occasionally to them if I have free time. Most of my surfing is done on couch next to wife when she is watching her stupid shows. Anything that has audio attached to it rocks the boat to much.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I definitely prefer written content to video altho how wordy it is makes little difference to me. If it is long and interesting I will keep reading and if it is long and not interesting, I won't.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I also prefer the written stuff because I am usually reading it at work or on my phone sitting on the couch. Length or wordiness doesn't matter to me because I read everything that CF puts on this site.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have never watched the videos. The rest of the content I definitely pay attention to, but sitting down to watch a video just doesn't fit with how I consume the site.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Your analysis is pretty spot on IMO. I like the videos and features, problem is both are tough to read/watch while at work(where 90% of time on CF is spent). Podcasts and things like the Jottings or Musings stories are perfect for work.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I've been to sites that have video, with a link to the written content. I rarely watch videos and like the option to read.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I mostly idle on the site during the day at work, and check things out in between carrying out work tasks. I greatly prefer written articles over audio/video media.

Also, you left out the most important thing: COUPONS.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I love it all, but the short articles and podcasts are best. Short articles are good for a quick break at work and I usually listen to music which I would much rather replace with a podcast once or twice through.

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
I don't utilize any of the audio/video content since I usually don't have the time to devote to listening/watching. I definitely give this site an 11 out of 10 on the written content though.

Would this be a bad time to suggest bringing CyBookie back in some way/shape/form? I loved that feature of the site.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I'll mirror the sentiment about the videos. Most of the time the same interviews are on cyclones.tv

The unique part of this site is the written stuff.

I've never listened to the podcasts; they seem to be a bit long. I'm not going to sit down for 15+ minutes just to listen to a podcast. JMO.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I don't utilize any of the audio/video content since I usually don't have the time to devote to listening/watching. I definitely give this site an 11 out of 10 on the written content though.

Would this be a bad time to suggest bringing CyBookie back in some way/shape/form? I loved that feature of the site.
This! I remember seeing that it was being worked on, any update Chris?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I'll agree with the others that say they don't really watch video. Most of the time I do my reading at work, which puts the kibosh on videos (thanks, IT Gestapo!).

I will say that I do appreciate the videos that are different than the Cyclones.TV ones, such as the interviews you did with AA on the different position groups.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron