Lets talk Iowa Beers/Breweies

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
So when I am at Hyvee and I see some different Iowa Beers, what are some that I should be trying?

For example, I see anything from Old Main and I walk right past it. My only experience was Cyclone Ale.

And If I see anything from Peace Tree, I am going to give it a try.

Also what are some fun Breweries to visit.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I skip anything from old Maine, Backpocket, exile,

i look for Confluence (only bombers right now), a couple from Madhouse, once in while Peace Tree (wife like Blonde Fatale), anything Toppling Goliath, and one from West O.

a lot depends on what style you like. Some people like Exile but I've yet to find a style from them I like.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

i look for Confluence (only bombers right now), a couple from Madhouse, once in while Peace Tree (wife like Blonde Fatale), anything Toppling Goliath, and one from West O.

a lot depends on what style you like. Some people like Exile but I've yet to find a style from them I like.

I like west o's 10ft 10.. But only available via growlers.. My hyvee does have some confluence. What should I start with?

my fridge has summit sage and dueshutes time hope and fresh squized IPA in it right now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like west o's 10ft 10.. But only available via growlers.. My hyvee does have some confluence. What should I start with?

my fridge has summit sage and dueshutes time hope and fresh squized IPA in it right now.

Des Moines IPA, Thomas Beck Black IPA. If they happen to have Fresh Mosaic or Chewbocka.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro

Backpocket? They have some good stuff, especially their special release bombers.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't seen Millstream mentioned and they are well worth a try.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So when I am at Hyvee and I see some different Iowa Beers, what are some that I should be trying?

For example, I see anything from Old Main and I walk right past it. My only experience was Cyclone Ale.

And If I see anything from Peace Tree, I am going to give it a try.

Also what are some fun Breweries to visit.

I'm with you on peace tree. Blonde Fatale is my weakness, especially if you find a bar that serves it in pints.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Pretty sure we're best friends.

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
Blonde Fatale is alright, but the coriander flavor gets a little old on me after about half a glass. High alcohol though;). I prefer their Hop Wrangler, but I prefer IPAs over Belgian styles. To each their own I'm just happy we Iowa beer lovers have a good local selection to find our own fancy!
Cheers!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Dinky wheat is the only Olde Main beer worth buying other than at $1 pint night

wish Confluence bottled or did something other than bombers.

It's not an Iowa beer but love me some Deschutes.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

/thread. Well stated.

I will say I'm not as crazy about TG as most seem to be. Not bad, but I won't go out of my way. I do like they're Golden Nugget quite a bit though.

Kalona brewing is another place that has some good beers. I'm not sure what/if they distribute.

The thing about Exile is they don't do a lot of ales, IPA, stouts etc - your more "standard" craft beer fare. They are into the pilsners, lagers, maybe even Belgian. I don't want to say they're bad, but it's not not my cup of tea.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Curious what "the one" is from West O that you like? I'm guessing CocO Stout, but I also think their Red and their India Pale Lager are pretty good.

I have mixed views on Exile...most of their beers are fairly "meh", but a few are exceptionally good. Their rauchbeir comes to mind.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Curious what "the one" is from West O that you like? I'm guessing CocO Stout, but I also think their Red and their India Pale Lager are pretty good.

I have mixed views on Exile...most of their beers are fairly "meh", but a few are exceptionally good. Their rauchbeir comes to mind.

No, I'm still waiting to try Coco stout.

10 foot 10 was the one I had a couple of years ago that was very good. I never see it in stores though.

The Holy L (IPA) was just average to me.

Smoked Red was just average. I generally like smoked beers but not red's so I'm not a good judge on this one.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've found at least one good beer from most of Iowa's breweries. The ones that totally sucked haven't made it.

Olde Main was one of the first craft breweries I ever encountered, so they'll always have a soft spot for me. I still like their roastier beers and any of the seasonal stouts or porters tend to be good. Clone ale is a decent standard pale.

Of current Iowa breweries, I haven't been to one that I just didn't care for. Peace Tree's Belgian yeast doesn't always work for me, but they make some damn good beers with it, and the beers they make without it are very good. Also, some of our best breweries right now aren't even bottling. 515, Singlespeed and Lake Time come to mind. I haven't tried any of the newer places in the Corridor area either, particularly Lion's Bridge and Big Grove.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I've found at least one good beer from most of Iowa's breweries. The ones that totally sucked haven't made it.

Olde Main was one of the first craft breweries I ever encountered, so they'll always have a soft spot for me. I still like their roastier beers and any of the seasonal stouts or porters tend to be good. Clone ale is a decent standard pale.

Of current Iowa breweries, I haven't been to one that I just didn't care for. Peace Tree's Belgian yeast doesn't always work for me, but they make some damn good beers with it, and the beers they make without it are very good. Also, some of our best breweries right now aren't even bottling. 515, Singlespeed and Lake Time come to mind. I haven't tried any of the newer places in the Corridor area either, particularly Lion's Bridge and Big Grove.

What are the good beers from Millstream?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'll strike my last paragraph.

I've never had an Exile beer that I actively enjoyed. It wasn't bad, but it was just kind of there. Okoboji Brewing Company was a bit the same way too, although I remember thinking there was at least one beer that I liked there.