Lets talk Iowa Beers/Breweies

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I've found at least one good beer from most of Iowa's breweries. The ones that totally sucked haven't made it.

Olde Main was one of the first craft breweries I ever encountered, so they'll always have a soft spot for me. I still like their roastier beers and any of the seasonal stouts or porters tend to be good. Clone ale is a decent standard pale.

Of current Iowa breweries, I haven't been to one that I just didn't care for. Peace Tree's Belgian yeast doesn't always work for me, but they make some damn good beers with it, and the beers they make without it are very good. Also, some of our best breweries right now aren't even bottling. 515, Singlespeed and Lake Time come to mind. I haven't tried any of the newer places in the Corridor area either, particularly Lion's Bridge and Big Grove.

Big Grove does a good job - Lion's Bridge is decent too, but they charge too much for it in-house.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Big Grove does a good job - Lion's Bridge is decent too, but they charge too much for it in-house.

If travelling through Solon - we've enjoyed the restaurant as well. Local sourced foods and the beer was very good.

I've only been to Lion's bridge once and we got there just before close - so rushed and not a good eval - but IMO they were much like Exile. Not really bad, just more German/Belgian style beers that aren't my taste.

We finally got to stop and Franklin Street in Manchester. No IPA to speak of. So we tried their straight American Pale Ale. Don't remember if it was the milepost or two mile (they were out of one of the two) - but wasn't overly impressed with it. I thought the red was pretty good however. I have to say it's probably about the coolest tap room I've been to though. 100 year old hardware store they've renovated very nicely. Hope they do well.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Lions Bridge has some solid beers. If I had to only pick one beer for the rest of my life, their Workman's Comp would be in the conversation. I like hoppy beers, but a solid malty beer wins out for me

They also have(had?) a bourbon aged or brandy aged one that was pretty darn good too. :yes:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Lions Bridge has some solid beers. If I had to only pick one beer for the rest of my life, their Workman's Comp would be in the conversation. I like hoppy beers, but a solid malty beer wins out for me

They also have(had?) a bourbon aged or brandy aged one that was pretty darn good too. :yes:

Most people like these? I'm not a whiskey/bourbon drinker so I don't usually find them very appealing. Maybe 1 out of 10 I'll find decent. Even when I do - I may be able to manage one before it gets to be a little too much.

Peace tree came out with one where they casked their Red Rambler in Templeton barrels I believe. My wife was on a mission all over DSM to get her hands on as many of those as she could.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If anybody is ever in the Twin Cities area, look for beers by Big Wood brewery. They're sold in 4 pack 16 ouncers. They just re-released their Bad Axe, which is a 9.8 IPA. Delicious. They also have a good coffee brew called "Morning Wood". Bark Bite and Wicked Ex are also solid.

They're located in White Bear Lake, a buddy and I are regulars at their tap room.

They're still pretty small - I have a tough time finding their stuff much outside the north Saint Paul area.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I've found at least one good beer from most of Iowa's breweries. The ones that totally sucked haven't made it.

Olde Main was one of the first craft breweries I ever encountered, so they'll always have a soft spot for me. I still like their roastier beers and any of the seasonal stouts or porters tend to be good. Clone ale is a decent standard pale.

Of current Iowa breweries, I haven't been to one that I just didn't care for. Peace Tree's Belgian yeast doesn't always work for me, but they make some damn good beers with it, and the beers they make without it are very good. Also, some of our best breweries right now aren't even bottling. 515, Singlespeed and Lake Time come to mind. I haven't tried any of the newer places in the Corridor area either, particularly Lion's Bridge and Big Grove.

My favorite part of being at Clear Lake in the Summer Time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My favorite part of being at Clear Lake in the Summer Time.

I'd argue it's the most underrated brewery in the state. Almost no press or hype outside of the CL/MC area, and their beers are absolutely excellent. Mason City Brewing is pretty good too, but Lake Time has them beat.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If anybody is ever in the Twin Cities area, look for beers by Big Wood brewery. They're sold in 4 pack 16 ouncers. They just re-released their Bad Axe, which is a 9.8 IPA. Delicious. They also have a good coffee brew called "Morning Wood". Bark Bite and Wicked Ex are also solid.

They're located in White Bear Lake, a buddy and I are regulars at their tap room.

They're still pretty small - I have a tough time finding their stuff much outside the north Saint Paul area.

They're in Iowa. I've seen it at the liquor store in Cresco.

I was shopping in Rochester, and the beer guy at one of the Apollo's recommended Bad Axe to me. I bought a 4 pack. I still have one left. This was in 2013.

I don't know if it just wasn't fresh, but it was really heavy and malty which is NOT what I want out of a DIPA.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
https://www.iowariverbrewing.com/

Relatively new, menu always changes, have had multiple delicious beers there. No food, just beer and maybe some nuts or something. Great stuff though and the owner will be able to recommend one for you based on what you like. Usually around 12-15ish different beers at a time.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
What's there to compete with it; the Bennigan's at the Best Western?

"Other Place" isn't awful. And from experience - the ONLY place to eat after 9:00 in Clear Lake in September.

I didn't find Lake Time to be very good at all. The only beer I thought was even decent was their Chocolate Stout - and that's probably the only time I've said that. The Propeller kinda forgot the hops part of the equation. It may as well have been bud light.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
They're in Iowa. I've seen it at the liquor store in Cresco.

I was shopping in Rochester, and the beer guy at one of the Apollo's recommended Bad Axe to me. I bought a 4 pack. I still have one left. This was in 2013.

I don't know if it just wasn't fresh, but it was really heavy and malty which is NOT what I want out of a DIPA.

Wow, in cresco? I wonder what their connection is there. They've only been around since the end of 2011, and they definitely are not nearly as wide spread as Fulton, surlys, or even 612 up here.

And you're right about bad ax being heavy, and it definitely has a different taste. I love the stuff though.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Wow, in cresco? I wonder what their connection is there. They've only been around since the end of 2011, and they definitely are not nearly as wide spread as Fulton, surlys, or even 612 up here.

And you're right about bad ax being heavy, and it definitely has a different taste. I love the stuff though.

There's probably two reasons for that. One, they're in White Bear Lake, and two, they're not as good as Fulton, Surly, 612, Dangerous Man, or even Harriet.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Can anyone recommend some good craft bars in the Iowa City area? I've heard Reds Ale house has a good selection.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Curious what "the one" is from West O that you like? I'm guessing CocO Stout, but I also think their Red and their India Pale Lager are pretty good.

I have mixed views on Exile...most of their beers are fairly "meh", but a few are exceptionally good. Their rauchbeir comes to mind.

No, I'm still waiting to try Coco stout.

10 foot 10 was the one I had a couple of years ago that was very good. I never see it in stores though.

The Holy L (IPA) was just average to me.

Smoked Red was just average. I generally like smoked beers but not red's so I'm not a good judge on this one.

The 10 ft 10 is my fav from them!