Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
There were some years where we had talent inside and out that were very fun to watch. There were also years where the inside talent was so-so and that meant posting up the three point shooters around the perimeter. That was deathly boring and had me pulling my hair out (which is now permanent). I remember the days of watching players like Bolte standing...no movement...standing at the three point line waiting for a chance to put up a three. The coaching philosophy has changed...sometimes very very slowly...but it has changed. Going to be interesting to see how things adapt this fall when your main star is the point guard and not a volume shooter.
I’d like to see him actually have her run the offense.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
There were some years where we had talent inside and out that were very fun to watch. There were also years where the inside talent was so-so and that meant posting up the three point shooters around the perimeter. That was deathly boring and had me pulling my hair out (which is now permanent). I remember the days of watching players like Bolte standing...no movement...standing at the three point line waiting for a chance to put up a three. The coaching philosophy has changed...sometimes very very slowly...but it has changed. Going to be interesting to see how things adapt this fall when your main star is the point guard and not a volume shooter.
Someone else is going to have to prove they can handle the ball. If not, Em is going to face pressure like never before when conference rolls around.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Someone else is going to have to prove they can handle the ball. If not, Em is going to face pressure like never before when conference rolls around.
Agree, if there is a lack of motion offense as has been the case in recent years, it could get ugly at times against good teams. Motion will alleviate the pressure that Ryan faces and with the lack of proven PG depth behind her, it becomes even more paramount.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
One half doesn't make a season. Or even a game. She is now 5-13 overall and 4-9 from 3 with 14 points.

People need to move on. She made a change improve to her life. Good for her. I'm happy with the 2023/24 Cyclone WBB team members.
She was a great Cyclone while she was here. Wish her the best. Hope all involved learn from it and move on.

Reactions: Cyclad

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
One half doesn't make a season. Or even a game. She is now 5-13 overall and 4-9 from 3 with 14 points.

People need to move on. She made a change improve to her life. Good for her. I'm happy with the 2023/24 Cyclone WBB team members.

We don't play her team and I've heard from someone pretty connected with the athletics department that her transfer was more about her academic goals than it was with her role on the team here. If that is the case can't fault her for putting her degree over her sport.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I don't believe rooting for the 2023/24 Cyclone WBB team and tracking ex-Cyclones at other schools is mutually exclusive. I'm excited to watch:

Morgan Kane and Madison Frederick at Nova Southeastern;
Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw at Montana;
Kylie Feuerbach at EIU;
Aubrey Joens at Oklahoma;
Lexi Donarski at UNC, and
Denae Fritz at Baylor.

Judging by the number of posts in other threads, I'm not alone in wishing the ex-Cyclones well with their new teams, other than when they play ISU. I'm hoping somebody will see fit to start a thread dedicated to tracking these ex-Cyclones, as I enjoy that thread on the football board. JMHO

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I don't believe rooting for the 2023/24 Cyclone WBB team and tracking ex-Cyclones at other schools is mutually exclusive. I'm excited to watch:

Kylie Feuerbach at EIU;
Denae Fritz at Baylor.

Judging by the number of posts in other threads, I'm not alone in wishing the ex-Cyclones well with their new teams, other than when they play ISU. I'm hoping somebody will see fit to start a thread dedicated to tracking these ex-Cyclones, as I enjoy that thread on the football board. JMHO
I think you can start that thread:)

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022

I'm not going to root for her like some of the transfers nor am I going to root against her like some other transfers. She had the decency to leave both the state and the conference and so I don't really think about her anymore.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

Kylie Feuerbach at EIU;
Denae Fritz at Baylor.

I agree, except for Feuerbach at Iowa. Anyplace else, then yes.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
She's on ESPN now (#20) vs. #1 South Carolina.
Watching. SC's average margin of victory this year I think has been 51 pts, Lol. But UNC up 19-10 at end of 1st and SC looking pretty ordinary IMO. Donarski having a nice game so far, made some key shots and got into a little scuffle after a loose ball...

Reactions: NWICY

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Lexi may be playing on a more experienced team that has better NCAA tournament potential this year but thus far in this game against #1 South Carolina, her game doesn’t look like it has expanded as I expected North Carolina to help her do (beyond being a good three point shooter).

She isn’t playing any point guard. She isn’t driving to the basket or hitting pull ups mid-range. Expected to see her in a more “free flowing” offense but that hasn’t been the case thus far.

Her defense looks solid as always.

On North Carolina she appears to be the third offensive option behind Kelly and Ustby (who is very impressive).

Wishing her the best but would have been equally excited to see her with the strong freshman at Iowa State this year. Especially, the strong posts and Brown and Bristow on the wings.

Last edited:

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Lexi may be playing on a more experienced team that has better NCAA tournament potential this year but thus far in this game against #1 South Carolina, her game doesn’t look like it has expanded as I expected North Carolina to help her do (beyond being a good three point shooter).
She isn’t playing any point guard. She isn’t driving to the basket or hitting pull ups mid-range. Expected to see her in a more “free flowing” offense but that hasn’t been the case thus far.
Her defense looks solid as always.
On North Carolina she appears to be the third offensive option behind Kelly and Ostby (who is very impressive).….
Agree.
Lexi basically just spotted up on the sideline/corner on almost every offensive set. Ended up shooting 3/9 from three and 3/13 overall.
Ustby had a good game tonight for UNC against #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.