Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
She had the green light but they never really ran any offense to her and she never really got to play with the ball in her hands so I think she struggled to ever find her rhythm. Most of the offense was Ashley and Emily dribbling it around too much.
I watched the Drake women in the tournament and thought at the time that many of our players would thrive in that offense. We had way too much isolation this year.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
VERY CONCERNED... Hopefully this isn't coach related.

I hate saying this and it is premature, but in the NIL world, fans are migrating more and more into shareholders.. So when your blue chip pieces are leaving, questions need to be answered by the collectives.. I hate that it's come to this, but why should we give to a collective that's goal is to retain players if they can just up and leave without a feedback loop or giving us a chance to retain.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Lol what? She had the ball in her hands a lot. One of our go-to sets was getting it to her at the top of the key and letting her drive.

I thought we developed her for the wrong role. She has the skills to be an offensive star, but instead we made her into a defender and slasher. Whether that was her choice or the staff's, it always felt like the wrong direction. She should've been a tall shooting guard, not a small forward.
I don’t think Bill did that enough though. Usually just at the end of the quarter/half situations. She was the best athlete on the team, she could have been utilized more often. She had a big role on the team, I’m just arguing that her role should have been even bigger.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Easily the most upset I’ve been about any Iowa State transfer. Even more so than Hunter last year.

I have been a supporter of Bill. But the team regressed this year and he’s now lost one of my favorite Cyclones. I am now pretty indifferent on his job. Any more loss and I think he needs to go, regardless of what we have coming in.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Bill doesn't get any say in that and do you really think JP would follow through on that? All Jamie has to do is look East and see how well Iowa football is doing with their nepotism
For the right price, especially with a sport that runs in the red more years than not. Also the results of the Iowa football and ISU women's basketball have been on par year over year, yet there’s not the same widespread consternation.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Has she made a statement at all?

I think there is app that generates the generic statements posted by players who enter the portal. They are generally polite and don't say much.

Edit: You can't really expect a player to say too much. Other schools coaches likely won't be happy recruiting a player that publicly dissed her former coach and school. Best to keep those comments private.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
From the Rag article, it seems that Tommy Birch spoke to her directly. I wonder whether he asked the reason why and I struggle to believe if he didn't.

"Cyclones guard Lexi Donarski, a three-year starter and lockdown defender for Iowa State, says she has entered the transfer portal. Donarski, who has made 95 career starts, averaged 13.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game during her three seasons in Ames."

I wasn't worried about Hunter leaving the MBB team - we know the beast called NIL in FB and MBB. I expected KF to transfer because she didn't seem happy and seemed to be underutilized (KF has been injured this season btw, hence the reason she didn't get a lot of minutes, but it would have been interesting to see how successful or not she could have been at EIU).

This is truly shocking - I don't think we have seen a transfer that is so shocking in the team.

Reactions: exCYtable
Status
Not open for further replies.