Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My favorite sequence in the modern era of ISU football is getting a couple of first downs on good looking plays or an explosive play to get in or close to the red zone, and the first play is a play clock draining cadence with 2 or 3 motions, off tackle run play.

It's only fair to let the defense get settled in and catch their breath.

Don't undersell the big play, followed by a fast tempo no huddle play that has the defense scrambling to get into position... which is always a plain vanilla handoff up the middle.

Reactions: HouClone

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
We need to start the season 3 and 0 in the out of conference part of the season, there is not a team on the schedule that is better than ISU talent wise, we just need to come out and be aggressive on both sides of the ball. ISU struggles when we lay back and do not attack the opponent. Stop trying to out EIU and by playing their type of game. Open it up and stop turning the ball over and we will be fine. I think for the first time in a decade, the offensive line will at least be solid, maybe not great, but not a weakness as they have been in the past.
Agree. Hope Matt Campbell reads this.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Fiesta Bowl when part of the playoff =/= Fiesta Bowl when it isn't a playoff game.
No doubt about it.

It seems the difference in opinion here is whether you value the height of one year or consistency over a period of time. ISU has been better than TCU more often than not during CMC's tenure, TCU has had the best team of those same years.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So playing a FB isn't the problem. Thank you, that was my point.

No, it's not THE problem, but it's A problem. If you're going to do it, you can't be so predictable about it. You can't bring the fullback in and run behind him 90% of the time or run in general 95% of the time. It just seems like if Klotz is coming in, we are almost surely running the ball and there's a really good chance if you run to where he's going, you will muck things up and end up with a TFL. Klotz is good at what he does, but he's not nearly as versatile as Soehner was. That's one of my biggest complaints about this staff...when they had Kolar/Soehner/Allen, they had an identity. It wasn't flashy, but it worked. They should have been trying to find a Soehner clone the second they figured that out. Instead, we seem to keep trying to find the next Kolar. That's great, but Soehner was the one that unlocked the offense.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
No, it's not THE problem, but it's A problem. If you're going to do it, you can't be so predictable about it. You can't bring the fullback in and run behind him 90% of the time or run in general 95% of the time. It just seems like if Klotz is coming in, we are almost surely running the ball and there's a really good chance if you run to where he's going, you will muck things up and end up with a TFL. Klotz is good at what he does, but he's not nearly as versatile as Soehner was. That's one of my biggest complaints about this staff...when they had Kolar/Soehner/Allen, they had an identity. It wasn't flashy, but it worked. They should have been trying to find a Soehner clone the second they figured that out. Instead, we seem to keep trying to find the next Kolar. That's great, but Soehner was the one that unlocked the offense.
Using Klotz in the passing game on some simple routes might help open things up a bit more.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Many have Jalen Travis penciled in as a starter, but he didn't go through spring ball with us and he is moving up from Ivy League to power 5. I'm a little leary of penciling him in as a starter if he isn't even on campus yet and making a big jump in competition.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wait - is someone trying to argue that we're a better program than one that made the national championship game less than 2 years ago?

I think we're in a better spot than TCU at this moment, and we certainly kicked their ass last year, but come on. They just played for a damn natty.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and mark82

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Wait - is someone trying to argue that we're a better program than one that made the national championship game less than 2 years ago?

I think we're in a better spot than TCU at this moment, and we certainly kicked their ass last year, but come on. They just played for a damn natty.
The point was that we are not that much different than TCU. With the talent returning this year, if we catch some breaks there is no reason we can’t have a special season. During TCU’s season two years ago, they won many close games and made many clutch plays at the end of games. We need a similar effort and some luck. I’m not thinking National Championship, but more like Conference Championship. This is not a prediction. It is more like “why not us”?

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For this season, yes it should be. But if you want to have a lower level... I expect to succeed. Failure happens but I don't go into a game, race or job expecting to fail.

Unfortunately a fan's expectations have nothing to do with what actually happens with the people playin the game.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm hopeful and optimistic this is the year the O-line plays consistently well. We hear how improved they are every off season, so one would think just by the law of averages one of these years it has to happen.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
If the line can make any progress after what I saw in Memphis, I’ll be happy.