NFL: Lions WR Roy Williams traded to Cowboys

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I have Romo on my team and I am thrilled to see this. When he returns he will have more options to throw to. Defense cant double everybody.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
It will decrease it. Two #1 receivers on a team, with an over the hill AVERAGE QB to throw to them isn't a good combination. Things will get even more interesting in Dallas, even if we didn't think it was possible.

Cardinals ... Lions with Kitna last year ..

Makes for a ton of catches for teams that like to air it out. Unfortunatly with Brad they'll probably run the ball a ton.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
It will decrease it. Two #1 receivers on a team, with an over the hill AVERAGE QB to throw to them isn't a good combination. Things will get even more interesting in Dallas, even if we didn't think it was possible.

The Lions consider Calvin Johnson their #1 receiver.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think it's a great move. TO does not have that many productive years left in him. Roy is eight years younger, and has all the tools you need in a wideout. Size, speed, hands. Plus, he's a Texas guy. He's home. Between, him, Romo, Witten, and Barber, the cowboys have young (all under 30) talent that could be together for a long time. This is a smart, smart move in my opinion. The dividends it pays may not be immediately apparant, but Dallas is inversting in great, long term offensive production.

Mar 29, 2006
Wow! What an offense! Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Terrell Owens, Tony Romo, Roy Williams, Jason Whitten, and a really solid offensive line. That is going to be an electric offense.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it's a great move. TO does not have that many productive years left in him. Roy is eight years younger, and has all the tools you need in a wideout. Size, speed, hands. Plus, he's a Texas guy. He's home. Between, him, Romo, Witten, and Barber, the cowboys have young (all under 30) talent that could be together for a long time. This is a smart, smart move in my opinion. The dividends it pays may not be immediately apparant, but Dallas is inversting in great, long term offensive production.

I agree, I just wish Dallas would not have given up so much for him. However, they did it because...

- They had extra picks in '09
- Philly was making a big play for him now and if nothing done, would at the end of the season.

Simply can't double cover anyone now when playing Dallas.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Current contract details for RW...

He was able to void the final year of his deal (2009) by hitting certain playing time levels. He was on the books for next season at: $912,000.

His base for this year: $3,724,500.

Detroit already paid his $1.1 signing bonus earlier this year. He has $1.358 million left in proration for this season and 2009 (total of $2.716 million).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How will they distinguish the two different Roy Williams on the same team?

Roy Williams the safety will ahve to go by his middlename, "Robin."

...oh wait that won't work. maybe he could be Doug?
no. Hank?
no. Serena?
no. Tennessee?

darn this is hard. If only the NFL made use of a numerical system of identification, that would make it so much easier. One day, maybe Roger Goodell will figure it out, but until then I guess they're just stuck.

Reactions: ISUFan22