NFL: Lions WR Roy Williams traded to Cowboys

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
As a lions fan, I think this is a great move. Maybe they can pick up some linemen and a franchise QB in the next draft. Kitna was never at the level that you could build an offense around him. I really like Kevin Smith in the backfield and their defense has potential but they need a big time QB soon.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good move talent-wise...although giving up 1/2 of your picks in next year's draft will hurt. But if they have extras that will soften the blow a little.

The big question is how will he fit in ego-wise. He has a horrible attitude (like TO) when things aren't going well.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
with Pacman being suspended today does that change what pick the cowboys give up for him?

Actually, it does.

From ESPN:
With word that Dallas cornerback Adam Jones is suspended indefinitely, and for a minimum of four games, the Titans take a hit to their 2009 draft.

When they dealt Jones to Dallas on draft weekend in April, they got a fourth rounder they used on Cal wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins.

If Jones had been available or on injured reserve for all 16 games this year, the Titans would have also gotten a 2009 sixth-rounder from Dallas.

But the trade stipulations also said that if he was suspended again, instead of getting that sixth-rounder the Titans would give up a fifth-rounder.

So now the trade will amount to this: The Titans sent Jones and a 2009 fifth-rounder to Dallas for that fourth-rounder used on Hawkins.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Reports are RW has already verbally agreed to a 5-year deal that would lock him up with Dallas through 2013.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
You know if Millen was still in charge, they'd have traded Williams for a few kicking tees and a sack of shiny things.

:biglaugh:

I was thinking a t-shirt and a ham sandwich.

Seriously, I am a Lions fan (now where is my paper bag to put over my head). I think this is what the Lions need for long term. I believe they are near the top of the salary cap, and need a influx of good draft picks to rebuild the team. They are not strong at any position sans wide receivers before today.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How will they distinguish the two different Roy Williams on the same team?

Ummm...

- Jersey number
- Offense vs defense

:dull:

Roy Williams the safety will ahve to go by his middlename, "Robin."

...oh wait that won't work. maybe he could be Doug?
no. Hank?
no. Serena?
no. Tennessee?

darn this is hard. If only the NFL made use of a numerical system of identification, that would make it so much easier. One day, maybe Roger Goodell will figure it out, but until then I guess they're just stuck.

Actually, I understand the question he's asking.

When a team has two players with the same last name, usually you see the initial of the first name on the nameplate as well as the last name (i.e., J. Lewis and R. Lewis on the Ravens several years ago).

When a team has two players with the same last name and the first initial is the same, I've seen cases where either the first two letters of the first name or the entire first name went on the nameplate (although examples are slipping my mind)

In both cases the numbers would distinguish the players, and in the Ravens case Jamal Lewis plays offense and Ray Lewis plays defense. The point is the teams/NFL makes an attempt to try to distinguish the names of the athletes as well. Should be interesting to see what the Cowboys/NFL will do when you have two players with the same name playing on the same team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You know if Millen was still in charge, they'd have traded Williams for a few kicking tees and a sack of shiny things.

:biglaugh:

I was thinking a t-shirt and a ham sandwich.

Seriously, I am a Lions fan (now where is my paper bag to put over my head). I think this is what the Lions need for long term. I believe they are near the top of the salary cap, and need a influx of good draft picks to rebuild the team. They are not strong at any position sans wide receivers before today.

Nah, I was thinking he'd make a similar deal to what was just made. He just would have spent all of the draft picks on receivers that don't fit the offensive scheme being implemented (that is, if there is a scheme in the first place).