Lipsey and Williams, next year

papapope160

Sep 15, 2020
I have not seen much discussion on this topic, understanding it’s a long ways away. What is the possible picture for next year with both playing a similar role on the team? Is there a scenario that exists where Williams starts next year and Lipsey is forced to the bench?

• Creative
Reactions: Cytown12

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have not seen much discussion on this topic, understanding it’s a long ways away. What is the possible picture for next year with both playing a similar role on the team? Is there a scenario that exists where Williams starts next year and Lipsey is forced to the bench?
I think we will see them both on the floor at times. If one of them becomes a shooting threat then we will for sure see them on the floor at the same time.

Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I think we will see them both on the floor at times. If one of them becomes a shooting threat then we will for sure see them on the floor at the same time.
Williams should have had time to get up a ton of shots. Should be able to shoot before you could do much of anything else, right? Seems like an opportunity for him to carve out time as a 2 to me. Otherwise why wouldn’t he consider transferring again?

Last edited:

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
It’s a good question and one nobody on this board could possibly answer even if they watch a lot of old temple highlights. It’s a good problem to have though now find more complimentary shooters.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I actually think Williams will shoot in the low 30's this year but won't take a lot of them. He's at his best in the midrange and getting all the way to the rim.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think if one becomes a shooting threat he'll simply play more than the other. Our SG will come from the portal.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Now if they both can find thier shooting stroke, then we're UCONN with Shabazz Napier and Ryan boatright. Natty coming

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Williams should have had time to get up a ton of shots. Should be able to shoot before you could do much of anything else, right? Seems like an opportunity for him to carve out time as a 2 to me. Otherwise why wouldn’t he consider transferring again?
As someone that has had Achilles surgery I would say that's correct. I "played golf" 4-6 weeks after. And hiked Camelback 3 months after. But not sure I could run yet. So shooting was probably OK 3 months out I would guess. Of course mine didn't rupture, they removed it to take a spur out and then they anchored it in my heel. Depending on the gnarliness of the rupture could have changed his recovery for sure.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just a wild guess, but I think both get 30 minutes or so, with Lipsey getting his at point, and Williams getting the balance of PG plus some at other spots.
I'm just really hoping Jeremiah can return to full, or near full, pre-injury function. To which, for his injury, there is no guarantee.

I would guess that he will play next year, but I don't expect him to be 100% yet, thus lower minutes than some here would like. The following year, '24-25, is when perhaps we might expect full pre-injury function. Still no guarantee, however.

Fingers crossed.

"Conclusions: Evidence suggests that sports with explosive plantarflexion demands, such as basketball, may be associated with a greater decrease in performance despite operative intervention after Achilles rupture."
"Conclusion: An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively."
"An Achilles tendon rupture can be one of the most difficult injuries that an athlete can face. Very often it requires surgery to repair the tendon, followed by a period of immobilization. Then the athlete must regain ankle range of motion and leg strength, which can also be challenging. Return to the same level of sports or exercise that he experienced prior to the injury is possible, but it is not guaranteed. Many athletes feel that it takes up to a year or more before that leg feels normal or like the other side does."

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm just really hoping Jeremiah can return to full, or near full, pre-injury function. To which, for his injury, there is no guarantee.

I would guess that he will play next year, but I don't expect him to be 100% yet, thus lower minutes than some here would like. The following year, '24-25, is when perhaps we might expect full pre-injury function. Still no guarantee, however.

Fingers crossed.

"Conclusions: Evidence suggests that sports with explosive plantarflexion demands, such as basketball, may be associated with a greater decrease in performance despite operative intervention after Achilles rupture."
"Conclusion: An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively."
"An Achilles tendon rupture can be one of the most difficult injuries that an athlete can face. Very often it requires surgery to repair the tendon, followed by a period of immobilization. Then the athlete must regain ankle range of motion and leg strength, which can also be challenging. Return to the same level of sports or exercise that he experienced prior to the injury is possible, but it is not guaranteed. Many athletes feel that it takes up to a year or more before that leg feels normal or like the other side does."
This is good stuff for people to read through and try to understand. An Achilles rupture is no joke.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

Fingers crossed.

Great post. It's not the career killer it used to be, but it's still a serious injury for sure. Hoping things all go well for JW in his rehab process.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007

Fingers crossed.

Good post. Does anyone remember when the injury happened? I wanna say August. If that's right, it means by the end of next year he'll 1.5 years post surgery.

Reactions: t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron