• Lost and Found

Votes: 37 34.3%

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How is this even a debate? And who are the 19 odd balls who voted for Lost and Found?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Oh boy! Lumpy's and it isn't even close. I think the only pleasant memory of L&F is the only time I remember ever going there I only remember walking up the stairs!

Lumpy's was pure! Quarter draws on Friday night, lead to flip cup which lead to strip cup.

Friday was always epic. FAC at Mickey's, Quarter draws at Lumpy's 5-7 I believe, then back to Mickey's for the rest of the night, usually they had 2 for 1 shots in the basement. Oh boy was I drunk and I loved it.

Gilberto

Apr 27, 2016
Oh boy! Lumpy's and it isn't even close. I think the only pleasant memory of L&F is the only time I remember ever going there I only remember walking up the stairs!

Lumpy's was pure! Quarter draws on Friday night, lead to flip cup which lead to strip cup.

Friday was always epic. FAC at Mickey's, Quarter draws at Lumpy's 5-7 I believe, then back to Mickey's for the rest of the night, usually they had 2 for 1 shots in the basement. Oh boy was I drunk and I loved it.

Making me nostalgic on a Tuesday afternoon. Yep, mid 90's was FAC (People's for me) and Lumpy's, then some Home Team or Gyro guy. Then maybe a female companion (usually no).

I was back in Ames last summer and just kind of shocked at Welch and how I like to remember it

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Threads like this make me pine for the days of long ago. 20 years later and still wish I could go back to college. So much fun. Probably why I stuck around for six years to get my bachelors.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wish there was a choice for both bars sucked because that is what I would have chose. Out of the 2 I thought Lumpy's was absolutely horrible, smelled and looked like it was part of the Ames sewer system.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I picked L&F. When I was in school, they were two totally different bars. Lost and Found was more of a chill bar (before they ruined it and Cy's IMO) while Lumpy's was the dive bar of all dive bars. That place was a crap hole and no one had a problem with it. Tough call...I loved them both.

You got that right! The original Cy's Roost was so much better than the Cy's most know today. Weds. $1 burgers started at 4pm I think and there was usually a line outside the door by then. One semester I was living in towers and had a 6pm class in Carvers so that made for a perfect stop on the way to class to have a burger and couple cold ones.

I can't remember what year it was, might have been 2001 maybe but Mancow and Lazer 103 had some Halloween bar crawl one night in campus town where you had to go to 8 bars and get your card stamped to be entered into a $500 prize drawing. That was my first experience with Lumpy's, we went down the stairs and got a whiff of some nasty spell, got our cards stamped and went right back up and onto the next place. Can't say my next and last visit there went much better, same nasty stank was still there.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I never went to Lumpy's, it closed soon after I turned 21. One of the many regrets I had during my time in college.

I think Lost and Found is a made up place, because the only time I remember going there was when I was browned out, and could never find it afterwards.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I picked L&F. When I was in school, they were two totally different bars. Lost and Found was more of a chill bar (before they ruined it and Cy's IMO) while Lumpy's was the dive bar of all dive bars. That place was a crap hole and no one had a problem with it. Tough call...I loved them both.

Yeah, I'm with Frak. All you nerds with the "Lumpy's and it's not close" are either full of **** or weren't there when I was.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Yeah, I'm with Frak. All you nerds with the "Lumpy's and it's not close" are either full of **** or weren't there when I was.

I just don't think they are very comparable. Two completely different kind of bars. IMO Lumpy's was more unique. There hasn't been a true dive like that in Ames since it closed.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Lumpy's reminds me of the basement area of Buzzard Beach in Westport. There's another place near and dear to my heart.

I've sure wasted a lot of time, money and brain cells at crappy bars. Dive bars are more difficult to come by in suburbia. Probably for the best.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Wish there was a choice for both bars sucked because that is what I would have chose. Out of the 2 I thought Lumpy's was absolutely horrible, smelled and looked like it was part of the Ames sewer system.

I guess lame people have to go somewhere too. What was your favorite bar then?? Applebee's?

• Funny
Reactions: Macloney

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Was Lumpy's at one time named UnderWear or something like that? That's what I remember being beneath People's when I went to ISU.

I voted for Lost and Found because it was possibly my favorite bar while at ISU. But I liked more mellow and relaxed places that just played awesome music and you could actually carry on conversations with friends. Lost and Found played the best music of all the ISU bars.... hands down.

I also liked that little bar that was close to where West Street Deli is now. I can't remember the name of it. It was also a mellow bar that played good music. There was a pool table in the back that was in such a tight spot they had sawed off pool sticks for some shots. I enjoyed hanging out there too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Was Lumpy's at one time named UnderWear or something like that? That's what I remember being beneath People's when I went to ISU.

I voted for Lost and Found because it was possibly my favorite bar while at ISU. But I liked more mellow and relaxed places that just played awesome music and you could actually carry on conversations with friends. Lost and Found played the best music of all the ISU bars.... hands down.

I also liked that little bar that was close to where West Street Deli is now. I can't remember the name of it. It was also a mellow bar that played good music. There was a pool table in the back that was in such a tight spot they had sawed off pool sticks for some shots. I enjoyed hanging out there too.

At first I thought you were describing the Boeheim but then when you mentioned pool table it has to be Thumbs.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
At first I thought you were describing the Boeheim but then when you mentioned pool table it has to be Thumbs.

Yep.... Thumbs. Loved that place. My apartment my junior and senior years wasn't too far from there, so I would go there a lot after class and have a few cold ones.

Now... am I completely crazy about the bar below People's once being named UnderWear, or something like that?

Boy do I miss college though. Those were the days. Will likely never be that happy ever again... and I was completely broke, but life was awesome!

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Beamers/Foul Play was a good combo (upstairs/downstairs) west of the Kum & Go back in the day (late 80s-). Our hangout was Thumbs Up where the Subway now sits. Lots of 2 for 1 GTs on Thursdays. When it closed some people brought a bong into the basement. The 80s were fun.

Thank you for posting this! I was beginning to think I was the only one on this board from that era. The hair styles were bad and the music was silly but you sure are right...the 80s were fun!

Help Support Us

Become a patron