Man of Steel

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
For those who have seen it, what did you think? Please preface any spoilers for those who have not seen it.

I really enjoyed it. I am much more familiar with Marvel canon than I am with Superman or most of DC's property, however.

A few things I noticed that I guess could be considered spoilers but do not speak to the story line at all...

1) With the casting that they did for the US military, they could easily make a Battlestar Galactica spin-off from Man of Steel.

2) There are a few Lexicorp items sprinkled in the movie (I saw a truck tanker and a building).

3) In the high gravity scene, I swear that they did something to Henry Cavill's face to make him look like Christopher Reeve.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it as well.

Like you, I'm much more familiar with Marvel than DC, but I don't think that took away from my enjoyment of the movie.

Two thumbs up, and it's defintely a movie to be seen on the big screen.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
So I'm hoping to parlay a trip to the in laws into a babysitter so my wife and I can go see this or Star Trek. What's the recommendation?

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Jantz is in the beginning of the movie, but his character gets pulled halfway through.

Oh_no_you_didn't.gif

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Saw it this weekend. Felt a bit like Batman Begins but not as good. A llittle heavy on the destruction of metropolis at the end. Overall, good not great. Would see a second installment.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
My feeling is that the destruction of Metropolis leads directly into the 2nd film.

I think Lex Luthor steps forward and claims Superman is a menace to society. Do they really need a protector if he destroys everything? Luthor will be hellbent on destroying Superman to protect the lives of the innocents of Metropolis. At least that's the way he sees it.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I havent heard, is a second already being planned? Or is it a wait-and-see like with Superman Returns?

BTW, I thought Cavill did a really good job. Was also surprised by Costner. Typically not a an of him - too robotic. But I thought he offered a touching performance.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
It was reported last week that a Man of Steel 2 had been greenlit. Supposedly, Snyder, Nolan and Goyner have already signe on to direct and write.

At that point you'll probably see them work towards a JLA movie.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
It was reported last week that a Man of Steel 2 had been greenlit. Supposedly, Snyder, Nolan and Goyner have already signe on to direct and write.

At that point you'll probably see them work towards a JLA movie.

Have to figure that a JLA movie is coming. Marvel is racking in cash hand-over-fist with their movie franchises. DC needs to counter.

A JLA movie would need Batman. But how? He went into retirement after DKR.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Have to figure that a JLA movie is coming. Marvel is racking in cash hand-over-fist with their movie franchises. DC needs to counter.

A JLA movie would need Batman. But how? He went into retirement after DKR.

Two thoughts on Batman. There is a Wayne Industries logo visible toward the end of the movie. So, we know its a shared universe. Where do they go now? Is Bruce Wayne inspired by Superman to come out of retirement. Doubtful.

From what I've read, it's most likely that we'll get another reboot in a few years. Batman still has a Rogues Gallery full of potential enemies. With Man of Steel showing that there are aliens out there, that may open the doors for more Batman villains that aren't based in "reality."

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Two thoughts on Batman. There is a Wayne Industries logo visible toward the end of the movie. So, we know its a shared universe. Where do they go now? Is Bruce Wayne inspired by Superman to come out of retirement. Doubtful.

From what I've read, it's most likely that we'll get another reboot in a few years. Batman still has a Rogues Gallery full of potential enemies. With Man of Steel showing that there are aliens out there, that may open the doors for more Batman villains that aren't based in "reality."

A reboot makes sense for a JLA movie. But with Nolan's fingerprints on Man of Steel, makes me wonder about re-working his trilogy. Plus who would want to tackle it and try to remake a highly popular and successful franchise? Seems like nowhere to go on a reboot but down.

If Bale wouldn't come back, a reboot would be necessary. I just think a JLA movie is too hard to pull off. Personally, DC are my favorite superheroes but Marvel has the magic touch with unveiling their universe.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
My feeling is that the destruction of Metropolis leads directly into the 2nd film.

I think Lex Luthor steps forward and claims Superman is a menace to society.
Do they really need a protector if he destroys everything? Luthor will be hellbent on destroying Superman to protect the lives of the innocents of Metropolis. At least that's the way he sees it.

I really hope not. I can't stand Lex Luthor. IMO he's the lamest supervillian in either the Marvel or DC world. Can't stand him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron