Matside Coaching

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I purposefully waited until today to post this... and let me preface this by saying I wasn't in Tulsa but watched every session via ESPN while listening to our broadcast on the Varsity app... but there were at least 3 matches at the Big XII's IMO where the coaches let our wrestlers down for not properly fighting for them in key situations. It seemed to like there was horse#### officiating all weekend (semis in particular) and we just took it. And, this isn't anything new (ahem... Iowa dual). When the OSU wrestlers were in controversial situations, Smith was out on the mat absolutely giving it the refs. Our coaches? Never saw them once. Smith is/was always working the refs to the point they seem scared of him. Let me ask you this... when did OSU NOT get a preferable call? All I ask is that the coaches fight for the wrestlers as hard as the wrestlers fight for them. We need matches like Casey's semi to go our way in KC if we stand a chance. My two cents...

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I purposefully waited until today to post this... and let me preface this by saying I wasn't in Tulsa but watched every session via ESPN while listening to our broadcast on the Varsity app... but there were at least 3 matches at the Big XII's IMO where the coaches let our wrestlers down for not properly fighting for them in key situations. It seemed to like there was horse#### officiating all weekend (semis in particular) and we just took it. And, this isn't anything new (ahem... Iowa dual). When the OSU wrestlers were in controversial situations, Smith was out on the mat absolutely giving it the refs. Our coaches? Never saw them once. Smith is/was always working the refs to the point they seem scared of him. Let me ask you this... when did OSU NOT get a preferable call? All I ask is that the coaches fight for the wrestlers as hard as the wrestlers fight for them. We need matches like Casey's semi to go our way in KC if we stand a chance. My two cents...
Coaches may be better removed to see the big picture but they don't know what the kid is thinking. In the end it really should be the wrestlers decision.

In the end it was a **** show that shouldn't of happened.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Interesting moment in the 57 final. Chittum nearly gets the td at end of the first regulation. He looks at Metcalf to throw the brick, more so I think to catch his breath. Metcalf basically tells him to get out there. I'd be interested to hear that reasoning over a cold brew.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
In the end it really should be the wrestlers decision.
Disagree. Coaches hold the veto power. A wrestler in the midst of battle does not have a clearer head that the coach in the corner. Of course, an experienced wrestler like Carr would have a longer leash compared to relatively inexperienced freshman like Chittum.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Interesting moment in the 57 final. Chittum nearly gets the td at end of the first regulation. He looks at Metcalf to throw the brick, more so I think to catch his breath. Metcalf basically tells him to get out there. I'd be interested to hear that reasoning over a cold brew.
I am guessing Metcalf thought Chittum's gas tank was bigger than Downey's and was betting on that.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Disagree. Coaches hold the veto power. A wrestler in the midst of battle does not have a clearer head that the coach in the corner. Of course, an experienced wrestler like Carr would have a longer leash compared to relatively inexperienced freshman like Chittum.
Coaches **** the bed on Chittum and it's not the first time he's done it. If a wrestler isn't comfortable with something they need to be able to say no.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Coaches **** the bed on Chittum and it's not the first time he's done it. If a wrestler isn't comfortable with something they need to be able to say no.
I guess I am not certain who's at fault in Chittum's case? Did they make him go up in 2OT or did he do it on his own?

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
When they had him go under in ride outs after he rode Downey for the entire 30, I thought that was a huge blunder since he couldn’t get away at all in the 2nd.
I think if he goes neutral with a stall to give he wins. Coaches also lost gaitan vs Kennedy in iowa dual to some extent. It doesn't happen too often and the wrestlers should bear some blame gaitan not sprawling and chittum no hand control. I think they'll improve there.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
As far as MJ & Kennedy match,
Lots going on and trying to keep score with the clock ticking down and remember it is 3 point takedown now instead of 2. Trying to do the math and check riding time, in addition to the emotions. Nate was still saying 2 most of the season on takedowns.

As far as MJ & Sax match,
I thought St John was saying go neutral, not sure if all the coaches agreed or disagreed or if MJ decided he wanted to go down.

As far as Chittum match,
Lots going on and I think the coaches had a lot of things going on and OT rules are kind of confusing and you can't just call timeout to think it though. After the fact, they might realize they made a mistake.
Even Downey said in his interview that he/coaches made a mistake on choice in OT.

Reactions: MnBrPg and stuclone

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
As far as MJ & Kennedy match,
Lots going on and trying to keep score with the clock ticking down and remember it is 3 point takedown now instead of 2. Trying to do the math and check riding time, in addition to the emotions. Nate was still saying 2 most of the season on takedowns.

As far as MJ & Sax match,
I thought St John was saying go neutral, not sure if all the coaches agreed or disagreed or if MJ decided he wanted to go down.

As far as Chittum match,
Lots going on and I think the coaches had a lot of things going on and OT rules are kind of confusing and you can't just call timeout to think it though. After the fact, they might realize they made a mistake.
Even Downey said in his interview that he/coaches made a mistake on choice in OT.
Our coaches are great.
MJ Kennedy was weird because both the coaches and the wrestler had it wrong and didn't let him up so it was pretty strange/hectic

MJ sax I think down was the right choice easy to second guess after he gets dinged for stalling and loses, but that's not on the coaches imo

The chittum match was one of the weirdest I've ever seen and honestly will probably never see one like that again so I'd give that one a pass.

BIG 12 champs is the result of our coaching.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I think wrestling is the toughest sport ever. I was not a wrestler. I am being inquisitive because my opinion means nothing. Have u coached at the high school or college level. I am not passing judgement.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Hard to get too critical of Dresser’s staff after wining the Big12, but it’s concerning that Kevin again admits there was too much confusion on the sideline and has to ‘own’ coaching mistakes that were made.

• Wow
Reactions: cyputz

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My 2 cents... I love the way our coaches handle themselves. It annoys me when coaches like Brands and Smith are constantly yelling at the ref trying to influence the call. I much prefer our coaches approach. Cael and co are similar. The wrestlers know their job and it's up to them to execute. As for the Chittum match I think Cody would be the first to tell you he needs to be better at escaping. If he gets out he wins in regulation and wins again in OT. Throwing the brick can also backfire if your guy is in better shape. Which typically fits our guys. I prefer to give credit to Downey for a gutsy win. That match was a brawl... Gimme Cody in KC because our coaches will now go to work and help him improve his exposed weaknesses.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We probably had the most bonus points of any team at D1 qualifiers. That is also coaching. They are human & not perfect
I agree but the way they let Downey just hang on without calling stalling tells me down was a bad option and Chittum knew it.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
My 2 cents: the loud, aggressive coaches need to be T'd up: Assess team point penalties, have them kicked from the sidelines, etc. If loudmouth coaches are intimidating the refs, the answer is NOT to ask the sane coaches to act like lunatics as well.

This is why I think sports are increasingly f***** up. Nowhere else in civilized society (other than politics, another toilet) can an adult man or woman throw childlike tantrums in public and be rewarded for it. It's not strategy, its not gamesmanship. Its lack of control and its disgusting.

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
As to the coaches' advice, the only thing I've noticed is the "always take bottom" mentality. Just stubborn, probably. The 3 point take down changes that calculation even more.

Last edited:

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
This may not be the right thread to this. But did anyone think the officiating this year especially at the big 12 tournament is bad. I hate blaming refs I’m not that guy but after that tournament there were so many bad calls and just the refs are so slow. It’s a very tough job I could never do it. I’m just saying as a fan I definitely think the refs this year were absolutely terrible.