Matside Coaching

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
This may not be the right thread to this. But did anyone think the officiating this year especially at the big 12 tournament is bad. I hate blaming refs I’m not that guy but after that tournament there were so many bad calls and just the refs are so slow. It’s a very tough job I could never do it. I’m just saying as a fan I definitely think the refs this year were absolutely terrible.
We got the JV squad. The Varsity squad was at the Big 10's

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Do the coaches have feedback to the Big XII relative to quality of referees - with video/examples.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
My 2 cents: the loud, aggressive coaches need to be T'd up: Assess team point penalties, have them kicked from the sidelines, etc. If loudmouth coaches are intimidating the refs, the answer is NOT to ask the sane coaches to act like lunatics as well.

This is why I think sports are increasingly f***** up. Nowhere else in civilized society (other than politics, another toilet) can an adult man or woman throw childlike tantrums in public and be rewarded for it. It's not strategy, its not gamesmanship. Its lack of control and its disgusting.
Couldn't agree more. And changing sports here... but it's so evident in basketball. Watching conference tournaments if players are barking at refs or throwing their hands up after every foul, it's almost always the case that their coach is losing it on the sidelines over every call that doesn't go their way. It's why I love TJ's approach even more and think it has to be the best thing for the player with not getting all worried about what the refs are doing but just focusing on what you can control and play the game

Reactions: VeloClone

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Interesting moment in the 57 final. Chittum nearly gets the td at end of the first regulation. He looks at Metcalf to throw the brick, more so I think to catch his breath. Metcalf basically tells him to get out there. I'd be interested to hear that reasoning over a cold brew.

2 bricks for the night and carr and bastida matches coming up I'm guessing.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
As far as MJ & Kennedy match,
Lots going on and trying to keep score with the clock ticking down and remember it is 3 point takedown now instead of 2. Trying to do the math and check riding time, in addition to the emotions. Nate was still saying 2 most of the season on takedowns.

As far as MJ & Sax match,
I thought St John was saying go neutral, not sure if all the coaches agreed or disagreed or if MJ decided he wanted to go down.

As far as Chittum match,
Lots going on and I think the coaches had a lot of things going on and OT rules are kind of confusing and you can't just call timeout to think it though. After the fact, they might realize they made a mistake.
Even Downey said in his interview that he/coaches made a mistake on choice in OT.
From what I seen on TV Gaitan looked at the coaches and gave the the neutral signal and someone in the corner told him to go down. Sax is known to be a rider, per the talking heads on TV, and from what I seen his match before. Either way, I wouldn't trade our coaches for any other. This team seems very much together. The way they cheer for each other is fun to watch.

Reactions: MattforState

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
My 2 cents: the loud, aggressive coaches need to be T'd up: Assess team point penalties, have them kicked from the sidelines, etc. If loudmouth coaches are intimidating the refs, the answer is NOT to ask the sane coaches to act like lunatics as well.

This is why I think sports are increasingly f***** up. Nowhere else in civilized society (other than politics, another toilet) can an adult man or woman throw childlike tantrums in public and be rewarded for it. It's not strategy, its not gamesmanship. Its lack of control and its disgusting.
Completely agree. I coach U18 soccer and I used to be the loud mouth ******* coach going at refs for missed calls and losing my mind on the sideline and "fighting for my players". Then I got my ref certification a few years ago and as soon as I reffed a few older/higher level games I realized I needed to STFU. Good refs are not going to be influenced in a positive way by screaming at them and if anything it'll result in more negative decisions. So now I spend all my time coaching and teaching the players to execute better - and my teams are better for it and I don't notice getting any more/less calls in games than I used to.

AND, one huge positive that has helped me and my teams get better officiating is that all the refs know all the coaches and the good refs (who get picks on what games they do) will avoid the bad coaches! So, now I get better refs assigned my games cause they know they aren't going to have to deal with a nasty coach - resulting in better officiating overall. That's maybe not as applicable at the college level but it certainly can't hurt and either way I support Dresser going this route and think it's the smarter and better way to coach!

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
From what I seen on TV Gaitan looked at the coaches and gave the the neutral signal and someone in the corner told him to go down. Sax is known to be a rider, per the talking heads on TV, and from what I seen his match before. Either way, I wouldn't trade our coaches for any other. This team seems very much together. The way they cheer for each other is fun to watch.
I was there and St. John definitely told Gaitan to go neutral. Maybe Metcalf and St. John talked quickly after St John gave the neutral sign to MJ, but from what I saw the coaches wanted him to go neutral

• Winner
Reactions: 4everClone

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I was there and St. John definitely told Gaitan to go neutral. Maybe Metcalf and St. John talked quickly after St John gave the neutral sign to MJ, but from what I saw the coaches wanted him to go neutral
Ok. Well then maybe it was Metcalf. I was just watching from TV, but when MJ looked over at the corner he signaled neutral and then gave like a shrugg and then chose down. Either way, as Dresser said in his post finals interview about Chittum, we just need to get out from the bottom.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At Hilton, I have seats that put me in direct range of the visitor's coaches' seats. I love listening to the big guy from Iowa. He is so loud, but so succinct and strategic. Listening to him coach his guys during matches is a master class in wrestling.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As to the coaches' advice, the only thing I've noticed is the "always take bottom" mentality. Just stubborn, probably. The 3 point take down changes that calculation even more.
I think most coaches still recognize the value of the escape point in a close match, not just ISU coaches. I did notice that given Yonger's background and still comfort level more on his feet that when he was up and he didn't necessarily need the escape point he chose neutral.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron