Matt Lauer Fired

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-with-a-common-caveat/?utm_term=.74398dd4437a

Wapo calls out the half-assed "apologies."

Okay, Matt, Harvey, Mark and Charlie: Please specify precisely which allegations have been untrue or inaccurate. Was it the one where you’re accused of dropping your pants in front of a female colleague (Matt); or where you’re accused of grabbing a woman and masturbating in front of her (Harvey); or when you were accused of pressing your erection against female staffers (Mark); or where you’re accused of walking around naked in front of women and also groping them (Charlie)?

Speak up! We wouldn’t want your legacies as sexual harassers to be unduly exaggerated.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The number of people that come out of the woodwork with allegation now is crazy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Remember, these work-related situations are not in a court of law. Businesses can pretty much do whatever they want. It just has taken a looonnngg time for organizations to step up and hold male employees accountable.

I doubt that someone is getting fired just "based on complaints/accusations." A business is not a court of law and as I posted just a bit ago, a business can do what it wants pretty much. When an accusation occurs and it is reported to HR, they do their research. Remember too, that most of the time HR isn't there to protect workers, but protect the business itself. What we are seeing is just a tip of the iceberg. It's about time.

This is often very far from the truth. With Union employees you better have a solid case or you are going to have a huge headache on your hands. I have had issues where it was a "he said, she said" situation and the outcome was not satisfactory as far as I am concerned. Our IT department decried that I had to send both the complainant and the accused to remedial sexual harassment training because no one could prove that it happened or that it was a false complaint. I had my own suspicions on what really happened but if we had gone either way with discipline we would have been in a world of hurt with the bargaining unit. (Both employees were in the same union.)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-with-a-common-caveat/?utm_term=.74398dd4437a

Okay, Matt, Harvey, Mark and Charlie: Please specify precisely which allegations have been untrue or inaccurate. Was it the one where you’re accused of dropping your pants in front of a female colleague (Matt); or where you’re accused of grabbing a woman and masturbating in front of her (Harvey); or when you were accused of pressing your erection against female staffers (Mark); or where you’re accused of walking around naked in front of women and also groping them (Charlie)?

Speak up! We wouldn’t want your legacies as sexual harassers to be unduly exaggerated.

I forgot who Mark was again. Remind me again please carvers.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I forgot who Mark was again. Remind me again please carvers.

Halperin. I was quoting the Wapo article that describes him as a "roving pundit." I took that to mean some dumbass I have never heard of who thinks he is a big deal enough that he can get away with repulsive crap.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Halperin. I was quoting the Wapo article that describes him as a "roving pundit." I took that to mean some dumbass I have never heard of who thinks he is a big deal enough that he can get away with repulsive crap.

Without reading the article, my read of "roving pundit" is similar to "between jobs".

Reactions: carvers4math

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Halperin always came across as a arogant dumbass. His writing partner, Heilman is much better.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Thanks, still had to Google him because the name didn't ring a bell.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

I don't disagree at all, but you have to remember that these are powerful, rich men being advised by high price lawyers. I doubt you will ever see any of them confirm anything and further expose themselves to civil suits.

It is great that all of these events are giving women the courage to speak up, and nice to see it is largely apolitical (scumbags on both sides of the spectrum). There is good potential come positive will come from all this.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't disagree at all, but you have to remember that these are powerful, rich men being advised by high price lawyers. I doubt you will ever see any of them confirm anything and further expose themselves to civil suits.

It is great that all of these events are giving women the courage to speak up, and nice to see it is largely apolitical (scumbags on both sides of the spectrum). There is good potential come positive will come from all this.

Most of these guys have exposed themselves enough already.

The really strange thing is, these guys can't even say they were drunk at the time. Not that is ok, but you might say they have an alcohol problem. They were sober and at work most times.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Most of these guys have exposed themselves enough already.

The really strange thing is, these guys can't even say they were drunk at the time. Not that is ok, but you might say they have an alcohol problem. They were sober and at work most times.

Well, we also aren't hearing stuff like "This guy made a bad pass at me while he was drunk and crossed the line" or something, the closest to that is the stuff Louis C.K. did but what he did was still an order of magnitude worse. This Lauer stuff is right up their with Weinstein.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
This is often very far from the truth. With Union employees you better have a solid case or you are going to have a huge headache on your hands. I have had issues where it was a "he said, she said" situation and the outcome was not satisfactory as far as I am concerned. Our IT department decried that I had to send both the complainant and the accused to remedial sexual harassment training because no one could prove that it happened or that it was a false complaint. I had my own suspicions on what really happened but if we had gone either way with discipline we would have been in a world of hurt with the bargaining unit. (Both employees were in the same union.)

Yep, you have to document everything. They screw up write them up, have them sign it and put it in their file.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
A snippet from Ta-Nehisi Coates on being a man... This is my stance.

I’ve been with my spouse for almost 15 years. In those years, I’ve never been with anyone but the mother of my son. But that’s not because I am an especially good and true person. In fact, I am wholly in possession of an unimaginably filthy and mongrel mind. But I am also a dude who believes in guard-rails, as a buddy of mine once put it. I don’t believe in getting “in the moment” and then exercising will-power. I believe in avoiding “the moment.” I believe in being absolutely clear with myself about why I am having a second drink, and why I am not; why I am going to a party, and why I am not. I believe that the battle is lost at Happy Hour, not at the hotel. I am not a “good man.” But I am prepared to be an honorable one.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Good point. I forgot about an org with a union - that adds a new dimension. Seems to me though sending both to SH training is a big mistake on the org's part.