Matt Thomas vs. Grand Valley State

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Anyone criticizing Matt's game last night has <0 basketball IQ.

Matt did all the little things- rebounded, assists and his defense was great. Sure there was 1 or 2 three point shots he could have made an extra pass, but Matt is a shooter and it is nice to see he has the confidence to take the shots.

DoctorUncle

May 30, 2015
I approve of all posts that start with "See". Plus I think Matt Thomas has hero potential.

See I don't think he ever was a 1 trick pony, it honestly seemed like because of how hot he got from 3 during his AAU run that he was pegged as a pure shooter coming out of HS. When he got here, he got shoved in to that role to try to replace Tyrus McGee, he was set up to fail. In reality, he's not a great 3 point shooter, he's solid but not a Jake Sullivan, Scotty, Tyrus, even Naz type of shooter from that distance. What got lost in all of that was that, he has a much better all around game than people gave him credit for coming in. He's been solid on defense and the glass since about 1/2 way through his frosh year. I think a new coaching staff with fresh eyes on him can do wonders for his game.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Matt had some poor shot selection, but he also played with confidence and generally did everything he was supposed to do.

He's a solid basketball player, and last year there were teams that made the tourney as 8 or 9 seeds and Matt would have been one of their best three or so players.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Anyone criticizing Matt's game last night has <0 basketball IQ.

Matt did all the little things- rebounded, assists and his defense was great. Sure there was 1 or 2 three point shots he could have made an extra pass, but Matt is a shooter and it is nice to see he has the confidence to take the shots.

Yeah, but he didn't make every shot he took, so he sucks.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Matt had some poor shot selection, but he also played with confidence and generally did everything he was supposed to do.

He's a solid basketball player, and last year there were teams that made the tourney as 8 or 9 seeds and Matt would have been one of their best three or so players.

Huh? Every shot he took he was pretty much wide open?

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
There was at least one long two with a hand in his face he had no business shooting, and maybe one or two other not great shots.
There was only one shot I thought he shouldn't have taken. The pull up two from the right corner in the first half. I thought all of his threes were fine.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Thomas finished with 12 points, 8 assists(!!!), and 5 rebounds, I believe. Looked much more aggressive than the Matt Thomas we're used to seeing. If he can be a reliable option off the bench I really think this team can do some serious damage.
Way more confident in his decision making too, I know it was exhibition but hopefully that play continues....

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Way more confident in his decision making too, I know it was exhibition but hopefully that play continues....

I hope so, this has been a problem for Matt throughout his two years here. He came out in his first game last year against Alabama and looked great and incredibly confident and then within a few games was back to looking tentative. As I've said on here before, I think Matt has a lot more to offer on the offensive end than just being a spot up three point shooter and I think he will be one guy who will play better out of Fred's offense.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Niang had a pretty crappy night.. But people question Matt Thomas missing a few threes even though he played a pretty solid game..

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Niang had a pretty crappy night.. But people question Matt Thomas missing a few threes even though he played a pretty solid game..

Think how good you have to be when 11 pts 9 boards and 7 assists with no TOs is a crappy night

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Think how good you have to be when 11 pts 9 boards and 7 assists with no TOs is a crappy night

1-6 from three is pretty bad. And I don't think niang considers 11 points that good against a division 2 school either

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Good player, just needs to find his niche. He's always been a great wing rebounder. Seems his D has improved from horrible to average...which is better than Naz. Passing is good, handle is good enough. He has always had the talent to be a solid player or better, he has just lacked the confidence.