MBB: Meltdown thread

Cyano

Nov 16, 2006
Des Moines
It was during the Minnesota game that I thought, wow...atleast we can't play any worse...then came the UNI game...and now this game. I'm not really sure what to think anymore. I hate when people give up on a team, but seriously what good reason has the team been giving us to atleast keep us positive. I'm starting to wish I could trade my season tickets in for women's season tickets.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Since this is the rant/meltdown thread...might as well rant for awhile...

I wonder if it would be useful for the ISU kids to head out to some college level player development camps during the summer, rather than playing in that Cap City League, where they learn absolutely nothing useful about playing college BB, and are made to look like gods playing against mediocre competition...

Hubalek was starting to play the post pretty well at the end of last season. I wonder where he "unlearned" all the good things he learned last year? I guessing the Cap City League helped him with that...

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Watching the game was painful to say the least. If we do not have an upgrade in guards in the next few years, we will remain poor to mediocre. Like someone mentioned earlier, we started Petersen and Haluska. Between them they had 6 fouls and 4 points. I honestly don't think they are D-1 material. At least there is some potential with Garrett. He did have a stellar night of 0-5 shooting, 0-2 FT, and 4 turnovers though. The bigs are not exactly lighting it up, but when you do not have a guard that can even get the ball up the court without turning it over, what do you expect? If we can't find some better guard talent, we will continue to get smashed when playing any team, MVC or not, that even has mediocre guards.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
On a positive note... Hilton is going to be rockin' on Sunday for the wrestling meet. I'm excited!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
On a positive note... Hilton is going to be rockin' on Sunday for the wrestling meet. I'm excited!

Yeah, this is actually a great year for volleyball and wrestling to solidify their fan base and add new fans. At least that is one positive with MBB struggling (and struggling is being kind).

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
This is gonna be long. This team is "broken" in many ways. There are too many factors, many have been noted. This young season has had its problems. Injuries, Lucca, defection, bad losses, etc.

Injuries to key players can break a team. If you've ever played on a competitive, organized team (HS, College, etc.); when a star player(s) or team leaders go down, it affects the team. Confidence, doubt, and environment changes - usually not positive.

Granted, I'm not in the gym and can only guess:

Jiri - experienced, veteran. Early injury slowed him and may be limiting his production. However, he's just not good. Mac improved his post play dramatically, but he's still terrible. He's been fighting himself to decide between post or perimeter player. He's neither right now, and it doesn't help the team. If he can convince himself to be an inside force, that could help.

Lucca - could be a huge difference, but nobody really knows. The turmoil surrounding him HAS to be a burden on everyone. If he's as good as it sounds he should be, his suspension could be a deflating blow to the entire team. Look at everyone on this board - we all feel for the guy. Imagine being his teammate. Even if he was playing, the effects of others' injuries may offset his presence.

Wes - We all know that at 100%, he could be a huge difference. Everyone knows he was the star player, and his injury is, IMO, the main catalyst behind this 'broken' team. He should not be on the floor, unfortunately. His abilities aren't there. His practice time probably lacks, which doesn't improve team chemistry. Seek the medical redshirt. At least the question mark will be gone.

Rashon - Love him. Team leader. He's what you want in a player. Good skills, athletic - just not enough skills to make a real difference. He could thrive if the team was healthy and as productive as they could be. But he can't overcome everything by himself.

BP - I was at the OSU game last week. He's not very good. I do give him credit - he appears to know 'what' to do. I think he "gets it". That's the #1 reason he's starting. He just can't perform at the level he needs to.

DG - Skills, athleticism are there. Gets a little too 'pretty' with the ball. Not finishing. DG's skills with BP's brain? Look out! He'll get there. May be a season away, but I think he'll get it.

Brack - Doing everything he can at this stage. He'll be a stud. Needs supporting cast to perform. Backcourt is killing him. With no backcourt threat to drive or shoot, CB can't reach his potential. A healthy Wes and Lucca on the court? That would make a difference.

SH - Hustle. Good defender. Knows the game. Much like BP, has the mind but not the ability. Poor kid can't get a shot to drop. That's gotta be SO far in his head.

AT - Just don't know. Not what he should be. Made a mysterious "appearance" at OSU. If he could play at even 1/2 of what he did in that game, he's be a great help. I see more of the same from AT. An occasional good game, but not consistent.

Booz - Not enough PT to know. Unless his defense is pitiful, get him some PT.

CJ - Love the hustle, but not tall/versatile enough to be a PF/C and not quick/agile enough to be anything else.

Rest of team - not ready yet or not D1 material.

If not for the early/lingering injuries and Lucca fiasco, I think this team would be SO much better. Happier, more confident, more comfortable, etc. The situations have broken this team. Can it be repaired? Maybe. But some damn good medicine is needed in a hurry. I hope to see steady improvement, but WJ's foot and possible Med RS may be the next big step. Lucca's reinstatement could also help.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
MBB

Well, I held off last night and I am sure most of you are thankful. We are aweful and the team I saw last night didn't even seem to care...therefore I don't care and will not be posting on the worst men's basketball team in the last 25 years of Iowa State Basketball for the rest of the season. If they go on to win the big12 so be it. See you next year or on other topics.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Re: MBB

I'm riding this rollercoaster into the end of the year because I believe in G-mac. When the tough gets going, this is the time we need to be the best fans we can be.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Re: MBB

I'm riding this rollercoaster into the end of the year because I believe in G-mac. When the tough gets going, this is the time we need to be the best fans we can be.

I didn't get to see the Oregon State game...did you? I was wondering how bad is Oregon State if they lost to the ISU team that played last night?

This is NOT a flame...just wondering! I really really wish I could have watched last Friday's game! What happened since Friday to produce last night's effort?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Re: McDermott Basketball

I'll give you the style of play...pretty boring basketball. If I wasn't biased toward the Clones, I'd rather watch a Johnny Orr loss than a McD win.

That might be the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I agree we've had some terrible games, but you all act like it's the end of the world. We'll get some big wins this year, I promise you that. Nothing makes cyclone fans feel better than beating the Hawks, so let's go into Saturday ready to kick the crap out of them.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We lost. The sun came up today. I was at the first game of the year. I told my son-in-law it is going to be a long year. Our guard play is pretty poor. It all starts with the guards. G-Mac should have them a bit better prepared to face the pressure. It will be even worse in Big XII play. Diante needs to focus more and be more aggressive. We have NO outside shooting. Period. That absolutely kills us. We don't have anyone who can create a shot, like Mike Taylor. And Taylor even with all his TO's created a lot of easy opportunities in the open court. We definitely miss him. That said. I would redshirt Wesley Johnson and let him heal. It will be ugly but long term it will be worth it. No reason to jump off buildings or fire coaches. Give it time.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'm just pissed because Cybookie took my shirt on that game. 15,000 credits down the drain....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I sick and tired of hearing how we played "pretty good" in the Oregon State game. Hello..?? Did you watch this game?? Were you drunk? It was two god awful teams playing possibly one of the worst college BBall games I have ever seen. I told my wife it set Basketball back about 100yrs after it was over. I am thankful that we won, but anyone who thought we played "pretty good" in that game is playing a couple cards short a full deck.

I will say this...we played better against OSU than Drake, but we were not even remotely close to playing a "pretty good" game that night. It was god awful as well.