Mediacom to more then likely drop fox after december 31st

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is becoming a nationwide issue. Last week, Time Warner sent out a faux poll to their customers. The question was, Do you want us to cave in to increasing charges from cable networks and providers, or do you want us to stand pat?

If you clicked on cave in, it took you to another window explaining how that was a bad choice and how you should click on stand pat.

Someday, I think I'll spend some time on that DirectTV lobbying channel, the one that talks about unfair satellite taxes in whatever state they're talking about today, or whatever they're pushing there. I'm curious just to see that programming.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
And the answer is YES YES and YES again....Rabbit ears still work and I have a tv in the next room that works on local channels via rabbit ears!!!!!!

So dont worry you will still be able to get fox locally via de rabbit de ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any reason why you always post your comments in gigantic letters? Its not like im reading this page from 2 miles away, its actually more like 1.5 feet. So you can probably take it down a notch

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Maybe not big ten, but there I'd imagine there are a few networks on the basic package that I'd be willing to go without if it meant keeping Fox.

What would you do without C-Span and QVC?

Personally, I'd been looking for a reason to drop Mediacom, and it's just been provided to me. It doesn't really matter to me which party is at fault.

tiberius

Sep 20, 2006
I doubt many channels are more expensive then the BTN at a dollar or so a month. I just hate that channel because they know they will never make much from advertisers and are making almost all their money from charging per subscriber. Put it on a sports package, so those who actually watch it can pay the bill.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Rose Bowl contract is negotiated separate from the other BCS games. ABC never lost the Rose Bowl when the others migrated over to Fox. Same goes for the switch to ESPN. The Rose Bowl, even though Disney owns both ESPN and ABC, will still be on ABC.

For that matter, since the contracts stipulate the network that airs the bowl that has the same site as the National Championship ABC will get the National Championship game this year as well.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
maybe Mediacom will grow a pair and hold their ground until the FCC steps in.
It's the FCC's rules that are allowing sinclair to do this. This is all well within the rules, and that's why the FCC will not likely intervene no matter what Mediacom wants.

At some point Sinclair has to go after Directv for more money also. It's not like Directv is just going to make less profit, they will have to pay more or pass the costs on to the consumer. They have the same problem Mediacom has.

DirecTV has a bit more clout than Mediacom, so I don't see this as likely to happen. For one, the same parent company owns Fox, which is a substantial proportion of Sinclair's licensed channels.

What would you do without C-Span and QVC?

Personally, I'd been looking for a reason to drop Mediacom, and it's just been provided to me. It doesn't really matter to me which party is at fault.
C-Span is required to be carried by the franchise agreements. QVC actually pays the cable companies to be carried.

So you're not going to lose either one of those.

Like I said in another thread, neither of these companies is the "good" guy. This is the free market at work. They both are trying to maximize revenues. Sinclair through charging a perfectly legal fee, and Mediacom for not wanting to pay it (and trying to keep it's prices low to be be able to compete).

It's pretty easy to cast Sinclair as the bad guy in this drama, but they are just doing what the law allows them to do. I don't see why it's such a big deal. Put some freaking bunny ears on your TV and suck it up if you want to stick with Mediacom.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If I were mediacom and admittedly I am not....I would tell fox to pack sand and send them packing.....

After a year or so I would tell Fox....well you know we took a hit so if you want on our cable system, you will have to pay us two dollars per subscriber for us to air your junky offerings!!!!!!

Time actually its past time to play hard ball with Sinclair Broadcasting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
People....all these places have problems.....I bet Direct TV suscribers would have been loving life if we were on Versus 4 times this year. Good thing it was only 1 or 2 times.

I think all Dish, Cable and Channel Providers should just go screw themselves.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So if you get some digitally equipped Rabbit Ears, there is no problem, correct?
I believe if you have an analog tv you'll need the digital converter and the rabbit ears, if you have a digital tv you should just need the rabbit ears.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
If I were mediacom and admittedly I am not....I would tell fox to pack sand and send them packing.....

After a year or so I would tell Fox....well you know we took a hit so if you want on our cable system, you will have to pay us two dollars per subscriber for us to air your junky offerings!!!!!!

Time actually its past time to play hard ball with Sinclair Broadcasting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah except Fox can just say you have to carry our channel for free. It's something called must-carry.

So Mediacom's options are the following:

Pay Sinclair to carry their channels
OR
Not pay Sinclair and not carry their channels unless Sinclair forces them to, in which case they have no choice but to carry them, but don't have to pay for it.

That's it. That's all they can do. Sinclair doesn't really have anything to lose by negotiating.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
So if you get some digitally equipped Rabbit Ears, there is no problem, correct?

All you need is regular, old-fashioned rabbit ears. There's nothing inherently new with the ATSC stuff that would require fancy new antennas. It's still just an RF signal. The somewhat confusing part is that frequencies have been adjusted around, so some stations got frequencies that were different from their old ones, and that might have pushed them from UHF to VHF or vice-versa, which means that the type of antenna required for outlying ares with weak reception might change a little bit.

What HAS changed is the way it has to be decoded. So you'll need a computer with an ATSC tuner now instead of an NTSC one.

If your old TV only has an NTSC tuner, you will need a converter to take that ATSC signal and turn it into something that your old analog TV can understand (Component, YPbPr, NTSC, S-Video, etc).

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yeah except Fox can just say you have to carry our channel for free. It's something called must-carry.

So Mediacom's options are the following:

Pay Sinclair to carry their channels
OR
Not pay Sinclair and not carry their channels unless Sinclair forces them to, in which case they have no choice but to carry them, but don't have to pay for it.

That's it. That's all they can do. Sinclair doesn't really have anything to lose by negotiating.

If those are my options er mediacom's....I would just hold out until Sinclair said real nice...Please Carry Our Programs and then I/ mediacom would say...If you insist we will carry your junk programs but pay you nothing????

Ever heard of the nfl network? They played hard ball with the cable cos and are still out in left field....remember boys...you never miss what you dont have...sez Yogi