Mexican Beer

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Negra modelo. Soo good.

XX would be my next fav.

XX and Sol were my fav down in Cancun for spring break 2001. Damn that makes me feel old

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Bohemia from Mexico is in my top five of everywhere.

Negra Modelo and Modelo especial I drink a lot too. Victoria has gotten popular in my hood recently but I prefer those three I've been drinking a long time.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Semi-related, there is a Bohemia beer in Brazil. It is awesome and we drank the hell out of it. Unfortunately it is not the same as the Mexican Bohemia beer. And you can't get the Brazil version here.

But you can get cachaca and make caiparinhas, so some consolation.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Spent spring break my sophomore year down at Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) Mexico and it was one of the best times I ever had. We had cases of Pacifico. That's why to this day, my Mexican beer of choice will always be Pacifico. With a lime.

I was down there for New Years Eve on Y2K. It was a blast. We were only 20 so we went to drink legally in a land without computers.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Anyone tried Victoria? I think it's new or at least new to Mi Mexico where I have had it a few times. Pretty darn good.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Modelo both Negra and Especial are good as well as both Dos Equi Especial and Amber.

I had a beer in England called Desperado's and you would think it was a Mexican beer but is made in France. They sell it in Canada but not the US even though in the end the brewery is owned by Heineken.
I plan on going to the Toledo game next season and might make a side trip into Windsor, Ontario just to buy some.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Dos Equis Amber
Pacifico
Modelo
Tecate

All decent poolside or beach beers but only drink them when I am in Mexico. They don't taste right when you pop one up north here.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Bought a "Sol" a few weeks ago at the Hy-Vee mix-and-match beers of the world part of the cooler...light, and a good thirst quencher when it's hot. Funny how expensive it is here...it is dirt cheap in Mexico (when purchased at a regular tienda, not at a tourist trap resort).

For a "nice" dark beer, Negra, sí como no. And if I'm not in the mood for a Negra, I'll have a Tecate, por fa.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Beer threads are so annoying on CF.

Seriously, make this opt-in.

Only thing more annoying is people posting in said threads about how annoying they are.

You realize you actually have to click on a thread to read it, right? They don't automatically open and force you to read them.

Also, Bye week = threads on more non ISU related stuff.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Victoria is by far my favorite. And if you're into Mexican beers, and remotely into bloody beers do yourself a favor and check into Michaladas! Squeeze half a life into a glass, add Miga sauce or Worcestersire sauce, add about half glass of Bloody Mary mix, fill glass with ice and celery salt, fab of hot sauce and dump in some beer. Refreshing drink this time of year.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Only thing more annoying is people posting in said threads about how annoying they are.

You realize you actually have to click on a thread to read it, right? They don't automatically open and force you to read them.

Also, Bye week = threads on more non ISU related stuff.

There's only thing more annoying is people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about how annoying they are, and that's people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about how annoying they are. Maybe, just maybe, people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about how annoying they are happen to be more annoying than people posting inside threads about people posting in said threads about people posting in said threads about how annoying they are, but it's close.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Another vote for Sol here. And while I'm a it, Corona Extra is the worst. It smells like a giant fart.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Not a huge fan of most Mexican beers, but I do really enjoy Victoria which has recently been introduced to Iowa. What I do find interesting and have enjoyed every time I've had the opportunity to try is island Guinness. Most of the Caribbean islands contract brew their own Guinness. Many of them vary in abv and taste. For example, when we were in Grenada for our honeymoon, they had their own island Guinness. The abv was up around 8 and it tasted completely different from any Guinness I have ever had before. It was much more roasty and tasted more like a nice dark imperial stout than the Guinness I'm used to. Great stuff.

Help Support Us

Become a patron