Miller & Deace, Absolutely.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
For those of you who have better things to do like shaving your back hair or watching concrete harden go right ahead. This post will end up being rather long and I have no back or chest hair as a good man keeps it worn off and I have been thinking of writing something like this for a long time now.

I blew off MediaCom awhile back after 10 years running because they wouldn't take care of their loyal customers (me) at 100 plus dollars a month and offering similar services for 30-40 dollars to new signees. After 10 years they owed me IMO. Heck, a couple of coupons to McDonalds would of been nice as at least I would have been recognized. I went with a different Company and my hesitation to do so was all about losing out on watching Mr. Miller and Mr. Deace. Now, because of my decision I am regulated to listening to their radio show in the am. That's all-right as Mr. Deace has a face built for radio anyway... Thats a joke.....

Yesterday's show was especially interesting as I learned MORE about what makes those two gentlemen tick than the previous years watching them on TV. Radio can sell and convey things that are impossible on TV. Try drainning Lake Erie and fill it with cocoa, spread 50,000 tons of whipped cream over it (really thick) and drop a 5,000 lbs. maraschino cherry on top on TV. I feel that listening to them brings me closer to their message and I hear things that I normally wouldn't on their radio show. Thanks Mediacom! Now go suck an egg.

Did you hear the emotion in Mr. Miller's voice when he spoke of Iowa and their shortcomings this year. Sure, most were facts like 20 point differentials in certain games etc. But did you HEAR Mr. Miller when he got emotional? Wonderful! You can't replace pure emotion as it comes from one's soul. Did you hear the thunderous "quiet" as in the absence of a responce from Mr. Deace when Mr. Miller was speaking emotionally? Those of you who think Mr. Deace doesn't know when to shut up are mistaken. He knows. One reason Mr. Deace didn't say anything is because he is suffering also and feels the same way as Mr. Miller. They were echoing eachother's sentiments.

They say adversity doesn't build character..... it reveals it! Yesterday I learned what I had already known for years. Both these gentleman have loads of character and I appreciate that. Long after the jocks been hung for the last time and after the bios etc, what you did with your life will speak louder than what you said.

Mr. Miller, you fit the "mold" of a true Hawkeye. You come across as somewhat "entitled", smug at times, have a cheshire cat grin, slip us ISU fans a handshake as you are sliding the switch blade between our ribs, offering us EXLAX in place of a girl scout cookie and all the while would run through hell with gasoline pants on to watch Hawkeye football.

Mr. Deace, you on the other hand are more like Patton. Usually cloud debates with factual information, call it like it is, don't pull punches as you punch through the back of the head, study tons of information and have a delivery stronger than a garlic malt. Thank you, I love you for it.

Mr. Deace, if you ever decide to enter politics bear in mind what my father used to say to me . "everyone respects a man who stands up and says what he believes! Problem is, no one will back him!" In short, your show is unique. Unlike many sports shows, you two do like each other, respect each other yet will not let those attributes get in the way of a great fight. Open the dictionary and look up ISU and Iowa and your pictures should accompany it.

Mr. Deace takes alot of heat for being a Michigan fan. So where is it said you can't pull for more than one team? (Did you know Dowling's school song is "Hail to the Victors?") I lived in Ohio for my "informative" years and there is NOTHING wrong with Michigan! Do Michigan's male athlete's still shave their legs?

In closing, I agree with Mr. Deace's assessment that today's children are coddled too much.(Don't worry as I got your six!) Ask any Coach who has coached for more than 20 years if these kids are TOUGHER than the 80's. Getting a medal for finishing in 27th place not only sends a terrible message, it takes the shine off of the top producers to make someone feel good about sucking. We MUST stop rewarding SUCKING! Once children know the difference between sucking and NOT sucking they will give their all to NOT finish last and after all, isn't that what we are all after? For each of us to give it our best. Remember if you are NOT the lead dog in the pack the VIEW always looks the same.

And yes, Mr. Miller, I'll take you up on your offer of having a person on your show who isn't driven by sports in general yet finds it a useful tool to prepare us for life in particular. I wrote a letter to my 5th grade teacher Feb. 11th, 1958 while living in Ohio about how I wanted to grow up to be like the great QB at Iowa.... Randy Dunkin!!! She mailed it back to me in time for my high-school graduation after moving to Iowa to chase my dream. I gave it to the University 3 years ago and am told it's displayed on a wall in a sports building.

Thank you both for being you. IB

Last edited:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
For those of you who have better things to do like shaving your back hair or watching concrete harden go right ahead. This post will end up being rather long and I have no back or chest hair as a good man keeps it worn off and I have been thinking of writing something like this for a long time now.

I blew off MediaCom awhile back after 10 years running because they wouldn't take care of their loyal customers (me) at 100 plus dollars a month and offering similar services for 30-40 dollars to new signees. After 10 years they owed me IMO. Heck, a couple of coupons to McDonalds would of been nice as at least I would have been recognized. I went with a different Company and my hesitation to do so was all about losing out on watching Mr. Miller and Mr. Deace. Now, because of my decision I am regulated to listening to their radio show in the am. That's all-right as Mr. Deace has a face built for radio anyway... Thats a joke.....

Yesterday's show was especially interesting as I learned MORE about what makes those two gentlemen tick than the previous years watching them on TV. Radio can sell and convey things that are impossible on TV. Try drainning Lake Erie and fill it with cocoa, spread 50,000 tons of whipped cream over it (really thick) and drop a 5,000 lbs. maraschino cherry on top on TV. I feel that listening to them brings me closer to their message and I hear things that I normally wouldn't on their radio show. Thanks Mediacom! Now go suck an egg.

Did you hear the emotion in Mr. Miller's voice when he spoke of Iowa and their shortcomings this year. Sure, most were facts like 20 point differentials in certain games etc. But did you HEAR Mr. Miller when he got emotional? Wonderful! You can't replace pure emotion as it comes from one's soul. Did you hear the thunderous "quiet" as in the absence of a responce from Mr. Deace when Mr. Miller was speaking emotionally? Those of you who think Mr. Deace doesn't know when to shut up are mistaken. He knows. One reason Mr. Deace didn't say anything is because he is suffering also and feels the same way as Mr. Miller. They were echoing eachother's sentiments.

They say adversity doesn't build character..... it reveals it! Yesterday I learned what I had already known for years. Both these gentleman have loads of character and I appreciate that. Long after the jocks been hung for the last time and after the bios etc, what you did with your life will speak louder than what you said.

Mr. Miller, you fit the "mold" of a true Hawkeye. You come across as somewhat "entitled", smug at times, have a cheshire cat grin, slip us ISU fans a handshake as you are sliding the switch blade between our ribs, offering us EXLAX in place of a girl scout cookie and all the while would run through hell with gasoline pants on to watch Hawkeye football.

Mr. Deace, you on the other hand are more like Patton. Usually cloud debates with factual information, call it like it is, don't pull punches as you punch through the back of the head, study tons of information and have a delivery stronger than a garlic malt. Thank you, I love you for it.

Mr. Deace, if you ever decide to enter politics bear in mind what my father used to say to me . "everyone respects a man who stands up and says what he believes! Problem is, no one will back him!" In short, your show is unique. Unlike many sports shows, you two do like each other, respect each other yet will not let those attributes get in the way of a great fight. Open the dictionary and look up ISU and Iowa and your pictures should accompany it.

Mr. Deace takes alot of heat for being a Michigan fan. So where is it said you can't pull for more than one team? (Did you know Dowling's school song is "Hail to the Victors?") I lived in Ohio for my "informative" years and there is NOTHING wrong with Michigan! Do Michigan's male athlete's still shave their legs?

In closing, I agree with Mr. Deace's assessment that today's children are coddled too much.(Don't worry as I got your six!) Ask any Coach who has coached for more than 20 years if these kids are TOUGHER than the 80's. Getting a medal for finishing in 27th place not only sends a terrible message, it takes the shine off of the top producers to make someone feel good about sucking. We MUST stop rewarding SUCKING! Once children know the difference between sucking and NOT sucking they will give their all to NOT finish last and after all, isn't that what we are all after? For each of us to give it our best. Remember if you are NOT the lead dog in the pack the VIEW always looks the same.

And yes, Mr. Miller, I'll take you up on your offer of having a person on your show who isn't driven by sports in general yet finds it a useful tool to prepare us for life in particular. I wrote a letter to my 5th grade teacher Feb. 11th, 1958 while living in Ohio about how I wanted to grow up to be like the great QB at Iowa.... Randy Dunkin!!! She mailed it back to me in time for my high-school graduation after moving to Iowa to chase my dream. I gave it to the University 3 years ago and am told it's displayed on a wall in a sports building.

Thank you both for being you. IB

Looks like someone hit the bottle early this morning.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
What I got out of your ramblings...

You hate Mediacom
You have a man crush on Miller and Deace

Did I miss anything?

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I really like their show and I like their personalities. They're a good team and I will continue to listen to their podcast every morning.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
John Miller -

Nice write up. After all if you do not lover yourself how can anyone else love you?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Mr. iowaboy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
LOL.

To the OP, thanks for listening...and to all those that listen, as far as that goes.
Jon I have listened to your show twice...next time you and Deace do the "beat off" would you please post that here. I would even enjoy listening to the original "beat off" ...I laughed nearly as hard as you two when you announced that to win the contest you were going to have a "beat off". Good stuff.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
LOL.

To the OP, thanks for listening...and to all those that listen, as far as that goes.

You are the best part of the show Jon. Just do not let it go to your head otherwise you and Deace will not be able to fit in the same room. :wink:

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
You are the best part of the show Jon. Just do not let it go to your head otherwise you and Deace will not be able to fit in the same room. :wink:

I agree...Jon should talk more...Deace needs to talk less, he gets annoying.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The problem I have heard, and mind you I haven't listened much, is that there isn't a connection to ISU from Deace. It has seemed like an act to me. I would much rather he just voiced his opinion and did not try to promote himself as the ISU guy on the show. I don't care that he's a Michigan fan, hell, I'm a Michigan fan, that doesn't mean you cannot be an ISU fan. I just do not see the emotional connection from Deace like I see with JOn and Iowa.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
While I don't mind Deace as much as some, I think there are a ton more people who would represent the Cyclone viewpoint much better on that show. Deace should stick to politics, and it should become the Miller and Williams show...