Missing NW Iowa Men

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Checking that address out on google maps overhead view, looks like a serial killer's lair. Lots of outbuildings, abandoned vehicles and a wooded area.... Scary!:eek:
Agreed, but not uncommon on gravel roads. There’s people who have really nice set ups in these areas but a lot are run down and full of equipment that haven’t been used in decades. People love hordering cars in these areas for some reason

Reactions: tman24

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Either that or stuff like Wendigos.
Ok, you’ve mentioned Wendigos twice. Are you a Supernatural fan? Season 1 Episode 2, a Wendigo kills poor Finn from Glee. The first three seasons of Supernatural are fantastic TV, but I don’t see a Wendigo hanging out around Highway 71 between Storm Lake and Spencer!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Agreed, but not uncommon on gravel roads. There’s people who have really nice set ups in these areas but a lot are run down and full of equipment that haven’t been used in decades. People love hordering cars in these areas for some reason
No just regular abandoned farms

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lots of this places are gone in my area. A building site is generally either occupied (and pristine) or farmed over. If it’s abandoned for more than a year or two and no occupant is found, it gets razed and plowed under.

There were a lot 20-30 years ago though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Going back to the Bigfoot type talk across cultures...sidenote reading this thread at 1130pm in my bed lights off was a CHOICE....at some point humans lived alongside wooly mammoths, Neanderthals, and other long extinct creatures. Similar to how many cultures have a flood myth, I wonder if these types of stories stem from long ago real experiences passed down as oral history and now essentially myth.

Reactions: NENick

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Going back to the Bigfoot type talk across cultures...sidenote reading this thread at 1130pm in my bed lights off was a CHOICE....at some point humans lived alongside wooly mammoths, Neanderthals, and other long extinct creatures. Similar to how many cultures have a flood myth, I wonder if these types of stories stem from long ago real experiences passed down as oral history and now essentially myth.
It makes a lot of sense. Also evidence keeps popping up that suggests that cultures had more contact with one another a lot earlier than conventional wisdom. So it seems like earlier cross cultural interaction and shared stories, plus shared stories passed down from the days of living with megafauna.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Ok, you’ve mentioned Wendigos twice. Are you a Supernatural fan? Season 1 Episode 2, a Wendigo kills poor Finn from Glee. The first three seasons of Supernatural are fantastic TV, but I don’t see a Wendigo hanging out around Highway 71 between Storm Lake and Spencer!
I was in the beginning of the series....

but no, probably not but I just mention them I guess as one of the more "well known" type of supernatural creatures, etc...

I just mean that I totally believe in that stuff. All the stories, lore and legends that were passed down long before social media, internet and mass communication or spread of ideas had to come from somewhere. And I don't know if I believe that almost all cultures on all different continents came up with similar stories. I believe in coincidinks but thats a bit too coincidinky for me to think that there's NOTHING or ZERO truth to it.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Checking that address out on google maps overhead view, looks like a serial killer's lair. Lots of outbuildings, abandoned vehicles and a wooded area.... Scary!:eek:
Just looks like an old farm. Ton of similar plots in Iowa and any rural farming area

Reactions: stewart092284

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
It makes a lot of sense. Also evidence keeps popping up that suggests that cultures had more contact with one another a lot earlier than conventional wisdom. So it seems like earlier cross cultural interaction and shared stories, plus shared stories passed down from the days of living with megafauna.
Uhmm, to some degree, yes, to some degree no.

People in Asia did not interact with those in South or North America.
People in the Tibetan high lands did not have interaction with people in France etc -

because then, well, there would have been no need for the age of exploration etc.

So I'm never going to buy that some people in the Alps knew that some people in the Tibetan highlands knew that some people in the Andes all had a creature roughly resembling a yeti or vampire or werewolf, etc... Did people in various regions have interactions or even over large areas? Sure. But not continents.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Uhmm, to some degree, yes, to some degree no.

People in Asia did not interact with those in South or North America.
People in the Tibetan high lands did not have interaction with people in France etc -

because then, well, there would have been no need for the age of exploration etc.

So I'm never going to buy that some people in the Alps knew that some people in the Tibetan highlands knew that some people in the Andes all had a creature roughly resembling a yeti or vampire or werewolf, etc... Did people in various regions have interactions or even over large areas? Sure. But not continents.
Right, I think it could be a mixture of direct linear stories passed down based on megafauna, and in some cases of cross cultural sharing. While there is a ton of similarities in the stories, art etc across disparate regions, there are also are enough variations to suggest things morphing over time, capturing regional differences in megafauna their ancestors saw in a region, etc.

But I do think it’s plausible that there were some regions where some of these species hung on far longer than remains show. When you think about something like gigantopithecus, and in a site only part of a mandible and a few teeth are what remain, you realize how easily remains disappear and are so unlikely to be found. There are enough critters everywhere that make quick work of remains, turning a record of a species into bone shards and a few teeth that get scattered and buried.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Right, I think it could be a mixture of direct linear stories passed down based on megafauna, and in some cases of cross cultural sharing. While there is a ton of similarities in the stories, art etc across disparate regions, there are also are enough variations to suggest things morphing over time, capturing regional differences in megafauna their ancestors saw in a region, etc.

But I do think it’s plausible that there were some regions where some of these species hung on far longer than remains show. When you think about something like gigantopithecus, and in a site only part of a mandible and a few teeth are what remain, you realize how easily remains disappear and are so unlikely to be found. There are enough critters everywhere that make quick work of remains, turning a record of a species into bone shards and a few teeth that get scattered and buried.
Correct.

But I also think - there's enough stories, weirdness and things that are just hard to explain with science and logic alone that its entirely possible - plausible? IDK - that there are some of these things lurking about.

Just like aliens are *probably* real to some extent, I also think some of the stories that helped make Bram Stoker and other horror genre authors famous, some of them are probably closer to true than not than what we really want to believe.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Correct.

But I also think - there's enough stories, weirdness and things that are just hard to explain with science and logic alone that its entirely possible - plausible? IDK - that there are some of these things lurking about.

Just like aliens are *probably* real to some extent, I also think some of the stories that helped make Bram Stoker and other horror genre authors famous, some of them are probably closer to true than not than what we really want to believe.

It was the Anunnaki.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm