Missouri Dual (2/25)

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Don't over look Caliendo at the Big10's.
Mesenbrink handled him pretty dang easily in Carver. Hamiti as well in Carver, which looked closer than it probably was with a late takedown. Caliendo is good but not picking him to beat either guy right now, much less both as he'd need to.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thoughts from a still very novice wrestling fan.

Despite the ducking it was still a really fun afternoon, the complete domination helped I am sure. Took my three kids and wife plus a good friend of mine and all had a great time.

Again from a novice but wrestling has to figure out how to get out from the national shadow. I don't want to say prove it when it comes to sickness but it is too damn easy to hide behind. Injuries happen, sickness happens but largely every other sport you still have to buck up and play. Duals need to matter for sport growth.

1CycloneWrestlingFan

Jan 5, 2020
Will 174 seeds at big 12s be 1. Devos, 2. Gaitan, 3. Thompson, 4. Mocco? Mocco sitting might have actually helped us at 74, no?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Technically correct but Olejnik beat him fairly handedly in the All-Star event.

Olejnik however has taken some losses these past several weeks, all to All-Americans (Hall, Carr, O’Toole, Caliendo).
I have a different impression from the All-Star match. Hamiti lived on Olejnik’s legs, and Olejnik pulled off some unbelievable defense and typical OSU edge playing. This was early in the season and Hamiti was struggling with weight. Also traveled from Humboldt to get to All-Star.

Hamiti beats Olejnik 9/10 times imo.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I have a different impression from the All-Star match. Hamiti lived on Olejnik’s legs, and Olejnik pulled off some unbelievable defense and typical OSU edge playing. This was early in the season and Hamiti was struggling with weight. Also traveled from Humboldt to get to All-Star.

Hamiti beats Olejnik 9/10 times imo.
I think Olejnik’s wins over Ramirez and Amine (the Hamiti match isn’t supposed to count, but probably does, at least subconsciously) have propped him up, perhaps artificially, all year.

I mean…he’s good, but his best win outside of those two is Holden Heller. No slouch, but also a fringe top 20 guy. Since Amine, Olejnik has lost to every AA type guy he’s faced.

As for Hamiti/Mesenbrink…it will be interesting, to say the least. Mesenbrink’s crushing pace and Hamiti’s length. Hamiti likes to push pace too, but not at Mesenbrink’s level there, IMO.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
I think Olejnik’s wins over Ramirez and Amine (the Hamiti match isn’t supposed to count, but probably does, at least subconsciously) have propped him up, perhaps artificially, all year.

I mean…he’s good, but his best win outside of those two is Holden Heller. No slouch, but also a fringe top 20 guy. Since Amine, Olejnik has lost to every AA type guy he’s faced.

As for Hamiti/Mesenbrink…it will be interesting, to say the least. Mesenbrink’s crushing pace and Hamiti’s length. Hamiti likes to push pace too, but not at Mesenbrink’s level there, IMO.
Don't sleep on Amine come tournament time. That guy and program act like they DGAF about the regular season and then are ready come March. He's crafty enough where he might just frustrate Messenbrink if they meet up.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
My guess is Carr probably won't get #1 seed in almost any scenerio.

If he beats O'Toole, and Messenbrink goes undefeated, Messenbrink will get #1 seed and Carr get the #2 seed.
If O'Toole wins Big 12's, O'Toole gets #1 and Messenbrink gets #2 and Carr #3.

Only chance of Carr getting #1 is Messenbrink getting beat also
I personally think Hamiti can beat Messenbrink. Time will tell.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Who is ranked #1 at 165 lbs? I see that Carr is #2.

Can Carr go all the way again this year. I know the answer is yes, but will he?

Edit: I just found the answer as to #1 here, Keegan O'Toole, MO. He didn't wrestle tonight? Didn't want to face Carr just jet?
I think I saw previously conference seeding will be based on in conference outcomes therefore Carr will get the number one seed. Is that correct? They'll both end up in the finals i assume but it does increase the opportunity for additional bonus points. My novice opinion thinks this years team's ability to get bonus could put them over the top in Tulsa.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I think I saw previously conference seeding will be based on in conference outcomes therefore Carr will get the number one seed. Is that correct? They'll both end up in the finals i assume but it does increase the opportunity for additional bonus points. My novice opinion thinks this years team's ability to get bonus could put them over the top in Tulsa.
I think the 3/4 at Big 12s are really similar with Olejnik/Hall. Don’t see any difference between the 1 or 2 seed at Big 12s.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Lots of talk about messinbrink winning the title online. We shall see. I would think David would like a guy that comes forward.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Lots of talk about messinbrink winning the title online. We shall see. I would think David would like a guy that comes forward.
I think it is in David’s benefit that Messenbrink will only have 1 shot at him. Messenbrink is a very smart wrestler and has the best coaching staff in the country. He would be able to game plan with the best of them. But, that first time feeling Carr’s strength, speed, and ability to keep distance will be too much to overcome. Similar to Carr’s first match with O’Toole.