Momo Challenge - Parents beware

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Not trying to scare anyone, but was made aware of this on social media earlier. I am not a parent, but one day hope to be. This type of stuff scares me, but if you haven’t heard of this momo challenge, it’s a Japanese character that was created by someone to use scare tactics and discreetly get your kid to do challenges through YouTube kids. Your kid wouldn’t or won’t make you aware when they supposedly have nightmares or act out because it says it'll kill them or the parents. This thing makes challenges through the app called WhatsApp and makes them document those challenges through the app with pictures. This could put you or them at harm. I only share this YouTube video with good intentions as to spread awareness in disbelief as to why any sane human would make this.

Here is a video explaining it through a news story sort of way.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Dumb. Now I can't just throw my device in front of my 4 year old and tell her to watch YouTube Kids, actually have to parent.

But, in reality, this does suck. We limit our kids screen time, but there are times when it is nice because it allows us to get some stuff done around the house, and now we have to worry about things like this. This world is crazy (and always has been, probably).

Cyclonefan98

Feb 26, 2019
Not trying to scare anyone, but was made aware of this on social media earlier. I am not a parent, but one day hope to be. This type of stuff scares me, but if you haven’t heard of this momo challenge, it’s a Japanese character that was created by someone to use scare tactics and discreetly get your kid to do challenges through YouTube kids. Your kid wouldn’t or won’t make you aware when they supposedly have nightmares or act out because it says it'll kill them or the parents. This thing makes challenges through the app called WhatsApp and makes them document those challenges through the app with pictures. This could put you or them at harm. I only share this YouTube video with good intentions as to spread awareness in disbelief as to why any sane human would make this.

Here is a video explaining it through a news story sort of way.

Biggest take away for this is kids have WAY too much time on their hands. What kind of ******* game is this??

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Dumb. Now I can't just throw my device in front of my 4 year old and tell her to watch YouTube Kids, actually have to parent.

But, in reality, this does suck. We limit our kids screen time, but there are times when it is nice because it allows us to get some stuff done around the house, and now we have to worry about things like this. This world is crazy (and always has been, probably).

Like you, we limit screen time as well, but do allow some from time to time. We dropped YT kids a few months ago just because most videos are inplanting products/dolls/etc into the kids minds. We only allow PBS kids right now.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Like you, we limit screen time as well, but do allow some from time to time. We dropped YT kids a few months ago just because most videos are inplanting products/dolls/etc into the kids minds. We only allow PBS kids right now.
youtube kids is not super well filtered.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe