MONDAY: Big 12 press conference scheduled for 5:30

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Anyone know if the folks in charge of this 'update' were paid, and how much?

That's the only reason I can think of for them to announce and hold a press conference about nothing.

The Big 12 had a press conference to end this thing because they had to. That's what happens when you make a big public spectacle of a process.

David Boren is first and foremost a politician. The problem is that the other Big 12 presidents don't seem to be first and foremost politicians. When Boren started his public rants a year ago, the other presidents needed to respond politically.

Instead, the other Big 12 presidents responded "academically", in that they cooperated with Boren's demands and started a very public search process that pretty much everybody knew would not result in expansion and ended up wasting a bunch of time and money for many parties.

The consulting firm that the Big 12 had hired previous to Boren's "psychologically disadvantaged" tirade had already done the research. The TV partners weren't on board. Most times, it's pretty tough the bully the folks paying the bills if you don't have any advantages over them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
To clarify my home Internet provider is ATT. Cox is our local cable provider. They told me their plans do have a cap, but they are not enforced at this time.

If a cap becomes the norm to drive people into a cable bundle then the death of tv may not happen soon

I'm with Time Warner, now Spectrum, after their merger with Charter. TWC did not have data caps, but Charter did in some markets. It seems that in order for the Feds to allow the merger, Spectrum had to agree to not apply data caps to TWC customers. We shall see how long that lasts...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Data caps are not a problem. I have Internet for $50 a month with Mediacom. 20 meg Download, 5 meg upload, which is WAY more than most people in this world would need. I have a data cap of like 200 gigs a month. I have three people using this connection two of which stream on netflix pretty much non stop. Have only surprised my cap once, and it was free.

Help Support Us

Become a patron