Monte mentioned in federal documents

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
So if a prep student was a phenom and was able to pass college classes and MCAT by the time he or she was 17 but wasn't allowed to go to Med school until they were 19 you would deny them?

One year out of High School is an random age rule. There are already many cases (Lebron, Kobe, McGrady) were HS players have entered the league out of HS and preformed at a "doctorate" level.

The NBA wants the players to play a year in college because it is easier to get scouts to see them against better competition than attending High School events and to make them a National Name without investing and thing thus improving fan interest. It has nothing to do with if the kid is physically ready to play.

Ben Simmons playing at LSU didn't help him or improve his stock as he would have went #1 out of HS and did a year later. Why should he have to waste a year of earnings and risk a career injury if not for a random rule?

To this day I can't understand how they got way with that rule.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
The kicker is that his mother says Monte' paid for his own meal...
Was she there, or does she have access to his bank statements? If not then she's just saying what Monte said, which is what anyone would say.

This shouldn't be as big a deal as it is and I would be blown away if Iowa State gets any kind of punishment for it.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
dsppntmnt.gif

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
1600am in CR just had guy from CBS sports on, I think that's what they said. He said since Morris is gone and more than likely Fred and or Prohm knew nothing about this meal getting allegedly paid for, that ISU should be just fine. Remember no rule against having a meal with an agent, just make sure it's paid for properly.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I've never understood why a kid can't enter the NBA draft and see where/if he gets drafted. If not, enter or stay in college (or play in gleague or overseas ). As long as they haven't stated getting paid, who cares? Isn't that how MLB works?

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Niangster

Jan 20, 2018
From a comment on Reddit.... NCAA Bylaw 16.01.1.1 reads "Unless otherwise noted, for violations of Bylaw 16 in which the value is $200 or less, the eligibility of the student-athlete shall not be affected conditioned upon the student-athlete's repayment of the benefit to a charity of his or her choice. The student-athlete however, shall remain ineligible from the time the institution has knowledge of receipt of the impermissible benefit until the student-athlete repays the benefit..."

This article was created for maximum clicks. The "meal" players are included to stir the pot, nothing more imo.
Let’s all pony up for the meal. A dime each oughta do it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t who people think Fred got dirty with. Dirty Fred would have been pulling in top 10 classes with at least a 5 star every year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There is an Amy Dash ( @AmyDashTV ) claiming she has seen further documents where Monte is named as actually taking cash. Hopefully just being a hot take machine for clicks and not true.

I’m not seeing it like that. She sensationalized a tweet (listed ISU among players taking $) and then backed off once she got the heat she deserved by saying that $ can be a meal and oh, I’ve seen other documents so clearly I’m not just blowing smoke out my ass.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Randy P, Hines, and Birch will get to the bottom of this

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I've never understood why a kid can't enter the NBA draft and see where/if he gets drafted. If not, enter or stay in college (or play in gleague or overseas ). As long as they haven't stated getting paid, who cares? Isn't that how MLB works?
I believe they can so long as they don’t sign with an agent and don’t do anything else that would break NCAA rules. However, teams would have to be reluctant to draft an underclassman without an agent. Then again, this league regularly overdraft 18 year olds speculatively.

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
Couple questions for those 'more' in the know:
- This article appears to be FBI. Unless the NCAA piggy backs off the FBI investigation to levy penalties, it appears the worst done so far is tax evasion. Is this a correct assumption?
- I'm curious about the rule which 'allows' a student to test the waters of the NBA yet return to college if they opt not to pursue that. During 'that' period, are NCAA rules explicitly defined?
Yes, the FBI's only interest in this is tax evasion and money laundering.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Stories like this of gladiatorial regulators, lawyers, and agents make me really care less and less about "big time" sports. Think I'll go enjoy a hockey club game or something more pure.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This reeks of "blue bloods got caught with their pants down in violations, so ISU must be heavily punished because Monte Morris had breakfast with an agent - a breakfast Morris likely even paid for".

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Stories like this of gladiatorial regulators, lawyers, and agents make me really care less and less about "big time" sports. Think I'll go enjoy a hockey club game or something more pure.
The FBI is searching and all they have is a few players getting paid and the rest lunch money and dinner dates?
Don’t kid yourself, college sports were built on shaking hands with cash and under the table benefits. If anything it’s cleaner now than ever.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
There has to be more coming out yet, unless I've missed it I havent seen UNLV listed and I cant see a way they havent done some super shady things to get players there.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone Rebel

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There has to be more coming out yet, unless I've missed it I havent seen UNLV listed and I cant see a way they havent done some super shady things to get players there.
Authorities figure going to UNLV is punishment enough.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Authorities figure going to UNLV is punishment enough.
Went to the eiu board to see what they are saying, knowing what to expect. One person said MM received money, however several people said that it did not say that instead stating a Meeting and a meal. Surprised by that. However, they are stating that Fran knew MM hung around with questionable characters, so that is why he did not end up in Iowa city. Standard doing it the right way garbage. Overall, not as bad as I expected, although two people wanted us to get the death penalty - tongue in cheek.

Help Support Us

Become a patron