Monte mentioned in federal documents

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Went to the eiu board to see what they are saying, knowing what to expect. One person said MM received money, however several people said that it did not say that instead stating a Meeting and a meal. Surprised by that. However, they are stating that Fran knew MM hung around with questionable characters, so that is why he did not end up in Iowa city. Standard doing it the right way garbage. Overall, not as bad as I expected, although two people wanted us to get the death penalty - tongue in cheek.
Hung around questionable characters? Whom exactly do they think Hubbard roomed with in prison?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Went to the eiu board to see what they are saying, knowing what to expect. One person said MM received money, however several people said that it did not say that instead stating a Meeting and a meal. Surprised by that. However, they are stating that Fran knew MM hung around with questionable characters, so that is why he did not end up in Iowa city. Standard doing it the right way garbage. Overall, not as bad as I expected, although two people wanted us to get the death penalty - tongue in cheek.

You're gonna want to take a shower before you go to bed. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
LOL at multiple people on Hawkeye Report saying that’s why Fran didn’t go after Monte and questioning his character. Complete denial of their **** program.

It most definitely isn’t because Fran can’t recruit a PG to save his life.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
LOL at multiple people on Hawkeye Report saying that’s why Fran didn’t go after Monte and questioning his character. Complete denial of their **** program.

How do we know Mike Gesell never met with an agent? I mean that’s conceivable isn’t it?

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclad

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Just remind them of Anthony Hubbard. Fran has no problem looking the other way. No doubt it’s been a rough 24 hours for him.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
The FBI is searching and all they have is a few players getting paid and the rest lunch money and dinner dates?
Don’t kid yourself, college sports were built on shaking hands with cash and under the table benefits. If anything it’s cleaner now than ever.

I agree with you. I agree with the posters that say KU and the like do it and get away with it much more adroitly. I was just saying i am tired of it. I was hard enough to endure beating, say, a big cheating bully like Nebraska in football once every ten years...but the one win was sweet. Now, with the continued graft and stretching of the rule interpretations AND having to hear about Regulators and gladiatorial auditors justifying their existence by consuming reams of paper over minutiae, it is just boring and tiresome.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Probably the most questionable character he hung around with is...
Roy Marble

As to the rest, the real reason is that Franniepants was a poor judge of point guard talent, even assuming Monte would have been gullible enough to give him the time of day. I laugh at that article intimating that Anthony Clemmons (or Gesell) were some sort of superstars.BWAHAhAHAHAHA!

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

This cracks me up. So this happened in 2015 or 2016 but Fran is so clairvoyant that he knew 2 or 3 years in advance of this meal that Monte would be having breakfast with a shady character? Did he know he would order eggs and sausage too, so that is why he didn't keep recruiting him? If he can see the future why didn't he see the dumpster fire his recruiting was creating in Iowa CIty for this year?

There are some really delusional idiots in Iowa City.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Yahoo Sports, "A complicating facet to it will be the NCAA’s potential inability to view key documents related to this case, because those details not in the criminal complaints are sealed under protective order........."

This makes it sound like, if it has been published (not sealed) that it is criminal? Am I reading this correctly?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yahoo Sports, "A complicating facet to it will be the NCAA’s potential inability to view key documents related to this case, because those details not in the criminal complaints are sealed under protective order........."

This makes it sound like, if it has been published (not sealed) that it is criminal? Am I reading this correctly?

I'm not reading it that way. The key word is details. A lot of things aren't in the criminal complaints, not all of which are criminal.

• Informative
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
This cracks me up. So this happened in 2015 or 2016 but Fran is so clairvoyant that he knew 2 or 3 years in advance of this meal that Monte would be having breakfast with a shady character? Did he know he would order eggs and sausage too, so that is why he didn't keep recruiting him? If he can see the future why didn't he see the dumpster fire his recruiting was creating in Iowa CIty for this year?

To some Iowa fans, one and only reason for Iowa’s miserable season is because Fran is honest and runs a clean program. He does things the right way and he stopped recruiting players like Tyler Ullis, Charlie Moore, and Monte Morris when he found out that these players were shady characters. Oh wait, he singed a felon to play for Iowa.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

The article could be more clearly written. What is meant is that, during the criminal investigation, the only evidence concerning the alleged crimes that is made public is what plead in the criminal complaints. The "criminal complaint" is the legal charging document and must include facts supporting proof of the elements of the crimes being charged. So long as the protective order is in place, any facts or evidence beyond what is contained in the complaints cannot be shared, or can only be shared to the extent allowed by said order.

Of course, subsequent events, such as a trial, would result in testimony and more of the facts being known. It is also possible that the protective order will be altered later.

• Informative
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You're gonna want to take a shower before you go to bed. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:
I did!
Spring will be coming - even for you in the far north. Hope you had a good winter.
I have admit, I have gone over “there” several times following their BB losses. Not that message board posters are representative of the general fan base, but it would seem most eiu fans want Fran and Barta fired. However, they are certain if Frans kid had played this year they would be much better. Plus, they have Michael Jordan junior, Weiskamp, coming in next year.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
So if a prep student was a phenom and was able to pass college classes and MCAT by the time he or she was 17 but wasn't allowed to go to Med school until they were 19 you would deny them?

One year out of High School is an random age rule. There are already many cases (Lebron, Kobe, McGrady) were HS players have entered the league out of HS and preformed at a "doctorate" level.

The NBA wants the players to play a year in college because it is easier to get scouts to see them against better competition than attending High School events and to make them a National Name without investing and thing thus improving fan interest. It has nothing to do with if the kid is physically ready to play.

Ben Simmons playing at LSU didn't help him or improve his stock as he would have went #1 out of HS and did a year later. Why should he have to waste a year of earnings and risk a career injury if not for a random rule?

Why should they have to go to Med School at all, if they are good enough to be doctors? Med schools just gives them the ability to see their skill more easily and evaulate them in others ways. I'm sure there are some people out there that could be great doctors with just on the job training.

Its that way with almost any job out there. My job requires a 4 year Bachelor of Science degree or enough experience in a related field. I could have been trained to do the job without a degree just fine.

The NBA, like any company, can make rules about who they hire. Maybe when they allowed HS to go right to the NBA, they had a 25% success rate. Maybe they thought their success rate would be 50% if they required 1 year out of high school.

I'm not saying that the NBA shouldn't allow athletes to go straight from HS to the NBA. I'm arguing that that is their decision to make. If they changed their mind and allowed HS kids to go pro directly, I would have zero issues with it.

Why aren't we pissed about the NFL 3 year rule? I'm sure there are a handful of players who could make the jump straight to the NFL out of HS, or after 1 or 2 years of college, yet no one bats an eye at that rule.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
Why should they have to go to Med School at all, if they are good enough to be doctors? Med schools just gives them the ability to see their skill more easily and evaulate them in others ways. I'm sure there are some people out there that could be great doctors with just on the job training.

Its that way with almost any job out there. My job requires a 4 year Bachelor of Science degree or enough experience in a related field. I could have been trained to do the job without a degree just fine.

The NBA, like any company, can make rules about who they hire. Maybe when they allowed HS to go right to the NBA, they had a 25% success rate. Maybe they thought their success rate would be 50% if they required 1 year out of high school.

I'm not saying that the NBA shouldn't allow athletes to go straight from HS to the NBA. I'm arguing that that is their decision to make. If they changed their mind and allowed HS kids to go pro directly, I would have zero issues with it.

Why aren't we pissed about the NFL 3 year rule? I'm sure there are a handful of players who could make the jump straight to the NFL out of HS, or after 1 or 2 years of college, yet no one bats an eye at that rule.

Ummmm yes they do....Remember Maurice Clarrett and Mike Williams

http://supreme.findlaw.com/legal-co...that-underclassmen-must-wait-three-years.html

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah but he said that people don't try and bat an eye at the NFL rule and people do and have challenged it

And those that did, failed pretty spectacularly. I think that's why more kids don't fight it. I think we've heard a few rumblings from True Sophomores that want to leave, but most aren't trying to bolt from HS or after one year anymore.