NBA: Monte Morris - Summer and the I. Thomas signing

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
From what I've seen from Nuggets fans, it sounds like Monte is still locked in for a two way contract this year. So he won't be going anywhere unless the Nuggets traded him. I'm just hoping he gets more playing time in the NBA this year than he did last year.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
hmm well nuggets just traded two contracts tonight so there is one spot open yet but doubt they need a pg anymore.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
hmm well nuggets just traded two contracts tonight so there is one spot open yet but doubt they need a pg anymore.

Yeah, between the Thomas signing and them dumping two players, I’m not sure Monte’s situation has changed much.

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
From what I've seen from Nuggets fans, it sounds like Monte is still locked in for a two way contract this year. So he won't be going anywhere unless the Nuggets traded him. I'm just hoping he gets more playing time in the NBA this year than he did last year.
He should be on a NBA roster, not a two way contract

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Bobby MarksESPN
Clearing out the Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur contract saves Denver a combined $43M in salary and projected luxury tax. The Nuggets now have 14 players on guaranteed contracts and are now $8.7M below the luxury tax. Denver this offseason has saved a projected $90M in salary and tax by trading Faried, Arthur and recently Wilson Chandler in a previous trade to Philadelphia.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From Ryan Blackburn of Denverstiffs.com:

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/7...cted-2019-first-and-future-second-to-brooklyn

What this DOES do, as Jeff Siegel says above, is free up most of Denver’s mid-level exception. With $8.6 million in space below the luxury tax, the Nuggets have wiggle room to add a more pricy free agent if they care to do so.

Here’s what the current depth chart looks like:

Point Guard: Jamal Murray, Isaiah Thomas, Monte Morris (two-way)

Shooting Guard: Gary Harris, Malik Beasley

Small Forward: Will Barton, Torrey Craig, Juancho Hernangomez, Michael Porter Jr.

Power Forward: Paul Millsap, Trey Lyles, Tyler Lydon, Jarred Vanderbilt

Center: Nikola Jokic, Mason Plumlee, Thomas Welsh (two-way)

For those counting at home, Denver now has 14 roster spots, two guys slated to be on two-way contracts, have filled their backup point guard hole, and have the majority of their mid-level exception available to use on another free agent if they choose. It’s lining up like the Nuggets still have a move to make.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
He should be on a NBA roster, not a two way contract

That may be true, but there's really nothing he can do about that at this point. He just has to play as hard as he can and try to make the Nuggets regret not signing him to a full contract.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Ugh. Nuggets are quickly becoming my least favorite team in the league. Their bench killed them last year and their only response is to buy/trade for veterans who aren't as good as they used to be. It's like they really don't have a plan other than that. Maybe they do originally but they abandon it as soon as an older player gets waived in front of them.

Compare it to how the Celtics handled Nader. Put him in the g-league for a year and then move him up; they clearly had a plan in place and trusted in their ability to develop players. I'm not sure Nader was really ready for it, but he checked all the boxes for the Celtics and they gave him a real shot. Granted, they saw quite a bit of injuries but they were prepared to give him the shot. Nuggets literally did not have a healthy pg last year at times and still kept monte on the bench.

Monte seems to have checked all the boxes (dominate the g-league, perform well in VERY limited NBA minutes, perform well in the summer league while showing a steadying hand). If he doesn't get a real shot this year with the nuggets I hope to hell he finds another team to associate with because I get the feeling he has to make something happen in the next couple years.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
That may be true, but there's really nothing he can do about that at this point. He just has to play as hard as he can and try to make the Nuggets regret not signing him to a full contract.
Wish the Nuggets would give him to a team that would use him.

Isiah Thomas has had an interesting career. 2 years ago he was Boston’s best player and was going to get the max. Now he on his 4th team in 2 years making 3 million.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
That's crappy for Monte. Can another team sign him?

He's still on a 2 way contract with the Nuggets. Which means he can spend 45 days with the big club and the rest with the G-league.

Nothing stopping them from signing him to a full contract if he impresses while he is up with them.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Nuggets signed Isaiah Thomas to a veteran's minimum deal, likely closing the door for Monte. That really sucks. Hopefully another team is willing to give him a shot

I've been saying it since last year, I hope he gets traded out of Denver. That will be Morris' best bet at sticking somewhere. It's not a great organization. I could name 10 teams that Morris would EASILY be on right now.

Tough luck from Monte being selected by them in the draft last year. Please trade him!

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but didn't Jamaal Murray come up as more of a SG than a PG? I seem to remember him as a shooting guard in college.

• Agree
Reactions: Malone

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but didn't Jamaal Murray come up as more of a SG than a PG? I seem to remember him as a shooting guard in college.

He was always a combo guard but you're right he did play mostly 2 in college as Tyler Ullis was the pg on that Kentucky team. A lot of Kentucky guys don't play their natural position in college with how much talent they usually have.

Clon3

Mar 24, 2014
I've been saying it since last year, I hope he gets traded out of Denver. That will be Morris' best bet at sticking somewhere. It's not a great organization. I could name 10 teams that Morris would EASILY be on right now.

Tough luck from Monte being selected by them in the draft last year. Please trade him!

Monte is in a great position for a 2nd round pick. He signed a 2 year two-way contract last year. That is what they agreed too and is widely reported. He played great this summer league and Denver will use him this regular season as he will for sure be up 45 days. If there are any injuries, trades, releases, etc. he is in a good position as a known commodity to be signed.

As ISU fans we are delusional if we think that Monte Morris = Isaiah Thomas. Isaiah Thomas ceiling was an MVP candidate. Monte played great in summer league and just okay in his NBA minutes last year.

The smart play from the organization is signing the higher ceiling player for one year and holding onto their player that was already on contract as the two-way player. If Isaiah Thomas is even 80% of what he had been then he's exponentially better as your backup point guard as Denver has 0 scoring on their bench unit.

If you want Monte to be traded to a team that will not be competitive now or in the near future then he would easily be on a team with back up minutes. Denver is in a great spot to make a leap up the Western Conference and Monte is still considered apart of that future.