More snow/ice headed our way...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Winter storm warning starts at 6 tonight through 6pm tomorrow.

Total snow accumulation (between tonight and Tuesday) by the end of tomorrow at around 4-6 inches with around 1/10 inch ice under that.

The joys of winter in Iowa. :mask:

Mrs. Wx...this better be a hoax....

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
We're under a winter storm warning UNTIL 6:00 tonight? From what I've heard - it isn't starting until tonght?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Yeah it could yucky here, but it will get downright nasty farther south. Here in Ames we are looking at about 3-5 inches of snow/sleet. Des Moines could get a brief glaze of freezing rain before switching to snow/sleet. Sounds bad enough, right?

Well... Back home in Shenandoah, IA they are expecting up to ONE INCH of ice from freezing rain followed by an inch or two of snow/sleet. The southern and southeast parts of IA will get nailed with freezing rain. In fact, areas from Oklahoma through Kansas and Missouri have already been hit hard with a continuing ice storm. Many reports of thunderstorms with temperatures below freezing producing large amount of freezing rain. Some areas from Salina, KS through St. Joseph, MO towards DeKalb, IL could see 1-2"+ of freezing rain accumulation. Widespread power outages appear likely.

If you live in southern or southeast IA, especially south of HWY 34, be prepared for a damaging ice storm with a great risk of extended loss of power. Have enough food/water to last a week.

[/Continue regularly scheduled programming]

Last edited:

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Wife works for the USDA in Ames and they get the day off if Ames cancels school. That doesn't happen very often, but ended up happening a couple times last year. Hopefully if it gets bad, it will be bad enough to cancel school. That short trip up I35 from Ankeny sure seems a lot longer with bad roads.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Bah, snow I can deal with, but ice is the deal breaker. We live in Ames, my wife and I both used to commute to Des Moines for work but now we work in Ames, I'm definitely glad for that now.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Ames and Des Moines will be sloppy, but I doubt it will be bad enough to cause too many serious problems besides the normal amount of accidents. If you live south of Des Moines, then you need to pay closer attention and think about not traveling.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We're expecting the ice here in Davenport.

What's really going to suck is the fact that my wife and I share a 1 car garage. We really have no choice but to put her POS in it because the moment her car sniffs freezing rain it locks up and you cannot get into it. That and she has manual locks where she actually has to use a key to get into her car.

Me, on the other hand, I have remote start, auto locks, etc. It's going to have to sit outside in the freezing rain all nite and I'm probably going to have to chisel into my car tomorrow morning

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007
Winter storm warning starts at 6 tonight through 6pm tomorrow.

Total snow accumulation (between tonight and Tuesday) by the end of tomorrow at around 4-6 inches with around 1/10 inch ice under that.

The joys of winter in Iowa. :mask:

Mrs. Wx...this better be a hoax....

No hoax here! This looks like a doozie. Worst looks to be south of I80, dangerous levels of icing, downed trees, power lines, impossible travel conditions, you name it. In DSM/Ames hopefully more snow than ice but still way more than just mildly unpleasant. At least the wind doesn't look to be a concern. Probably a lot of schools out tomorrow too. Enjoy!

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
No hoax here! This looks like a doozie. Worst looks to be south of I80, dangerous levels of icing, downed trees, power lines, impossible travel conditions, you name it. In DSM/Ames hopefully more snow than ice but still way more than just mildly unpleasant. At least the wind doesn't look to be a concern. Probably a lot of schools out tomorrow too. Enjoy!

:sad: I hate ice.

Our mailbox was slid into on Saturday night/morning sometime. It is now leaning to the NE and I am sure the snow bank is the only thing holding it up.

Mrs.ISUFan22

Dec 11, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm really done with this weather and it's not even Christmas yet. I'm working from home tomorrow so at least I don't have to drive downtown. :jiggy:

Dear diary, for Christmas I would like some warm sunshine to melt all of the snow. :yes:

Mrs.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wow, I should watch the news more, I had no idea it was going to snow...