Morgan Kane has entered the transfer portal

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Hard to jump from logic in men's and women's basketball. $$$ hasn't completely taken over women's basketball so it still retains some qualities of amateur sport. Morgan's probably looking at the education aspect and transferring for that reason. What's she majoring in anyway?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Hard to jump from logic in men's and women's basketball. $$$ hasn't completely taken over women's basketball so it still retains some qualities of amateur sport. Morgan's probably looking at the education aspect and transferring for that reason. What's she majoring in anyway?
I know nothing.
But seems more like a move for fun than academics. 5 years at ISU, she may even have a Masters already.
Regardless - certainly wish her the best.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I know Fredrick had a really positive experience there and was open with her other teammates about it. It makes alot of sense, really. You aren't going to the WNBA, so why not go to a lower level and be the main player? Get a post-grad degree, nice weather and average 17 and 10 a game. Doesn't sound so bad.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She got her degree at ISU in kinesiology. She did an internship at Clemson in 2021 with their strength and conditioning group.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I know nothing.
But seems more like a move for fun than academics. 5 years at ISU, she may even have a Masters already.
If it's fun I hope she has tons of it..Really enjoyed watching her hard work on the court..deserves a year of fun on a beach!

Reactions: ICCYFAN

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It's like a vacation. Sun, Mikey Mouse is a few hours away, warm, and you get to play BB.
I know nothing.

Reactions: NWICY

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
With her Kinesiology degree, I would guess she is going there for its Doctoral of Physical Therapy program as ISU doesn’t have one. (And for the weather, scenery, and to have fun playing with Fred).

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
With her Kinesiology degree, I would guess she is going there for its Doctoral of Physical Therapy program as ISU doesn’t have one. (And for the weather, scenery, and to have fun playing with Fred).
She's listed as a senior in the ISU directory (not a grad student) so she's probably just going for a Masters next year.

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
She's listed as a senior in the ISU directory (not a grad student) so she's probably just going for a Masters next year.
The DPT is typically a 3-year program that requires only a bachelor's degree for admission. Others will know more than I do about how that came to be, but I think the standard program was changed from a Master's to an applied doctorate, with a full year of clinical experience included. If that's the field that interests Morgan, it's a great path to follow.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
About a year ago at a gym in West Jordan Utah, I saw a guy with an Iowa State hat, which is unusual. I asked him about it and he said his daughter Morgan Kane played basketball there. And raved about the community and her experience. So it seems like a “next phase of life” decision for her.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
“An ideal option for the working professional, the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program located at Nova Southeastern University's Tampa Bay Regional Campus, is an entry-level four-year program that blends face-to-face and online teaching using multi-media and engaging teaching strategies.”

Nova SE Fort Lauderdale is a four-hour drive from Nova SE Tampa, so the DPT theory might not be the case.

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
“An ideal option for the working professional, the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program located at Nova Southeastern University's Tampa Bay Regional Campus, is an entry-level four-year program that blends face-to-face and online teaching using multi-media and engaging teaching strategies.”

Nova SE Fort Lauderdale is a four-hour drive from Nova SE Tampa, so the DPT theory might not be the case.
Now I'm going down a rabbit hole! It looks like the Tampa campus program is for working professionals, while the Fort Lauderdale campus offers a DPT option for full-time students. No idea whether this is compatible with a basketball schedule, but here's what I found online:

"The Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Health Care Sciences’ Fort Lauderdale/Davie Professional Physical Therapy program is three-year, full time program. Non-lab sessions are delivered face to face, using blending learning and via online technology. Face-to-face lab time is dedicated to developing hands on skills, that will give you an edge in your profession. "

• Informative

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Now I'm going down a rabbit hole! It looks like the Tampa campus program is for working professionals, while the Fort Lauderdale campus offers a DPT option for full-time students. No idea whether this is compatible with a basketball schedule, but here's what I found online:

"The Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Health Care Sciences’ Fort Lauderdale/Davie Professional Physical Therapy program is three-year, full time program. Non-lab sessions are delivered face to face, using blending learning and via online technology. Face-to-face lab time is dedicated to developing hands on skills, that will give you an edge in your profession. "
Ok - I obviously didn’t dig deep enough, but honestly, we’re just speculating on why she selected Nova SE. Until proven otherwise, I’m still in the “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” camp!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Nova, led by Fred, was 21-4 at one point, before losing their last five games. I don’t know if Nova SE has a graduate program which works for Morgan or she just wants to have fun and party in Fort Lauderdale with Fred for a victory lap. My prediction - MEM joins the Sharks shortly and the three of them laugh their way to a conference title and NCAA tournament appearance!
Apparently she is a grad student she’s Madison instead of Maddie She was also first team Academic AA in Div II. Hannah Belanger was 2nd team.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Nova Southeastern is D2. Clearly she could have landed somewhere D1, but like the transfer itself this is likely an academic decision, not an athletic one.
It's reportedly pretty difficult for someone in the portal to catch on somewhere else. There's a statistic out there somewhere that documents the rate of failure to catch on with a new team for players entering the portal. I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was unexpectedly high. I do know that in football, about half of the portal players don't find a new home. The way our one incoming portal player in WBB talked, it sounded like she had trouble catching onto a new team and she averaged over 21 points a game. I can imagine it would be even more difficult for someone who averaged 4.4 ppg over a 4-year career.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
It's reportedly pretty difficult for someone in the portal to catch on somewhere else. There's a statistic out there somewhere that documents the rate of failure to catch on with a new team for players entering the portal. I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was unexpectedly high. I do know that in football, about half of the portal players don't find a new home. The way our one incoming portal player in WBB talked, it sounded like she had trouble catching onto a new team and she averaged over 21 points a game. I can imagine it would be even more difficult for someone who averaged 4.4 ppg over a 4-year career.

I think it’s case by case. If a Division 1 player wants to play in Division 2, I don’t think there would be a big problem.

Kane averaged 4.4 ppg in Big 12. The level of competition in Div II is lower than Division 1, let alone Big 12.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
I think it’s case by case. If a Division 1 player wants to play in Division 2, I don’t think there would be a big problem.

Kane averaged 4.4 ppg in Big 12. The level of competition in Div II is lower than Division 1, let alone Big 12.
Just look at Maddie Frederick: rode the bench at Iowa State then transferred to Nova Southeastern where she led them in almost every statistical category.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Great for her. A year of spring break with hoops part of the deal.

I'm sure her next hoops experience is about 10,000% less pressure than in Ames.

Reactions: JerseyGirl

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Essentially…the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Help Support Us

Become a patron